Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-15, 11:30 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Well, I guess I'll be the downer...

I bought this set to do with (4th grade) DD, after she enjoyed a recent Kid Zumba class. We have tried both the workouts on the first disc.

I was surprised at how challenging the choreo is, especially after they teach the move and bump it up to full speed. Turns out, it's a little more than DD can handle and she didn't seem to enjoy it. I'm actually thinking I'll return the set since I mainly got it to use with her, but we'll probably give the first workout another try or two, just to give it a fair chance.

The first workout was a bit rough on my knees (turn-y moves and step-across moves). Granted, I am very overweight right now, so it doesn't take much to make my knees/feet unhappy, but this workout definitely did. Also, I thought some of the moves were just a bit awkward to execute.

As far as being appropriate for kids: none of the moves on the first song were objectionable, IIRC. DD pointed out that there was a backgrounder exercising in just pants/sports bra ...

Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the set. I'll probably just get Zumba Kids for the Wii or something else actually geared for kids...
If you can get past what may be lyrics that may be objectionable to kids (if interesting to adults), maybe you could follow this blog and work with this:

Family Muve Guided Freeform Dance Exercise

I know this blogger isn't Shaun T ... and with my torn meniscus/nascent arthritis/heel spur, etc. I can downmodify most twisty moves (I sometimes wind up doing fewer steps, hahahh! but still keeping the twist with as near to impeccable placement of bones) because I like intermediate level choreo,; but I've got to say, if you can do Zumba, hat's off to you!! as I cannot.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 01:03 PM  
amery

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Well, I guess I'll be the downer...

I bought this set to do with (4th grade) DD, after she enjoyed a recent Kid Zumba class. We have tried both the workouts on the first disc.

I was surprised at how challenging the choreo is, especially after they teach the move and bump it up to full speed. Turns out, it's a little more than DD can handle and she didn't seem to enjoy it. I'm actually thinking I'll return the set since I mainly got it to use with her, but we'll probably give the first workout another try or two, just to give it a fair chance.

The first workout was a bit rough on my knees (turn-y moves and step-across moves). Granted, I am very overweight right now, so it doesn't take much to make my knees/feet unhappy, but this workout definitely did. Also, I thought some of the moves were just a bit awkward to execute.

As far as being appropriate for kids: none of the moves on the first song were objectionable, IIRC. DD pointed out that there was a backgrounder exercising in just pants/sports bra (we tend to dress pretty conservatively, so she was shocked by that, LOL -- I had to clue her in that many ladies workout in just sports bras ).

Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the set. I'll probably just get Zumba Kids for the Wii or something else actually geared for kids...
Thank you for this honest review. I won't pursue it for my classes. I am very careful to NOT show bare midriffs, so that is a deal breaker for me. Thanks again for your thoughts!
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 01:08 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Are they really twisty workouts? (bad for knees)
I did not notice any of the moves being super twisty but I think it also depends on how you execute them as you could modify. Compared to other workouts, I did not consider the choreography advanced, it was probably mid level. In fact, some of the Zumba workouts I have use trickier choreography. But this is just my perspective, I was hoping it would not be too basic and it wasn't. I'll have to try more of the workouts to comment further. So far I am happy. My hubby, who has no experience whatsoever with dance workouts, tried the first 5 minutes and hated it. So again, it all depends on what you are looking for.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:14 PM  
Sharaz

Any thoughts on the advance dvd's

These is still on my radar for light sweaty cardio.
Old 08-08-15, 06:19 PM  
Ecossaise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaSue View Post
I had lots of fun and I'm looking forward to doing Crazy 8s again and trying the other workouts. But Cize won't appeal to people who like complicated choreography and/or have no trouble picking it up. But it's perfect for me and my two left feet
You just saved me some money, DeepSeaSue! When I was step-obsessed, I would check the "complex" choreography box on Collage Video and wouldn't buy anything that had simple choreography! I get bored really easily...

Lauren
Ecossaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 07:54 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecossaise View Post
You just saved me some money, DeepSeaSue! When I was step-obsessed, I would check the "complex" choreography box on Collage Video and wouldn't buy anything that had simple choreography! I get bored really easily...

Lauren
I would not describe it as simple, but that's my take on it. It is fun!
Old 08-09-15, 07:32 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

My 10 year old daughter and I did You Got This (Level 1, WO 2) again and surprisingly we had a tougher time with the moves the second time. It might have been a little too soon after dinner and we were a bit sluggish, but I thought it would be much easier to get the moves right the second time.

One thing I noticed this time was that Shaun doesn't talk about calorie burning, working out, getting into shape, etc. He talks about learning to dance. He emphasizes that we can learn these moves. I really like that since my daughter rolls her eyes if I invite her to work out with me but she's really into dancing with Cize and Just Dance. It's good bonding for us.
SFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 12:22 PM  
DeepSeaSue

I am still loving these! They were the only workouts I brought on my recent trip to the cottage since they require no equipment. I don't like an audience while I work out so I got up early to do these but I just have so much fun doing them that one Cize workout leads to another so I was still doing them when people woke up so people started joining in....everyone loved them so we started having "Cize it Up" parties most nights My cousin (who is the manliest man you can imagine, into CrossFit and Insanity) just loved them and even ordered the set
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 02:09 PM  
Fitstick

I tried the " you got this" workout on disc 1 yesterday and felt the moves were fairly easy to catch on to and fun. I'm hoping the intensity will pick up on discs 2 and 3. I also got the weight loss dvd's but have not had a chance to try them yet. Cize is fun, Shaun is fun and it's exactly what I was hoping for so far.
Old 08-16-15, 02:10 PM  
beth22

Is anyone here a beachbody coach that I could order this through?
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cize, shaun t