Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-11, 11:47 AM  
Victoria

Question Question about Insanity

For those who have done both P90X and Insanity: Is Insanity like doing Plyo X every single day??

I'm in the home stretch of a very successful P90X Lean rotation and am trying to figure out what to do next. I'm considering Insanity, but don't want to spring for it if it will be like Plyo X every day.

TIA!

P90X Graduate - 11/20/08-2/17/09

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Above all, don't fear difficult moments. The best comes from them." - Rita Levi-Montalcini
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 12:01 PM  
andtckrtoo

Honestly, Plyo X is kind of easy compared to Insanity. That is the most similar workout. What would you really like to do next? There will be a program or system that can do what you want and the lovely folks here at VF will most certainly know it.
Old 08-24-11, 12:30 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
For those who have done both P90X and Insanity: Is Insanity like doing Plyo X every single day??

I'm in the home stretch of a very successful P90X Lean rotation and am trying to figure out what to do next. I'm considering Insanity, but don't want to spring for it if it will be like Plyo X every day.

TIA!
Insanity is tough and I only recommend it if you are a cardio hound.Plyo X is a walk in a park compared to Insanity. How about CLX?
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 09:54 AM  
Victoria

Thanks for your feedback!

Hmm, what am I looking for? Something just as intense as P90X, but I don't want to jump right into a second rotation. I've done CLX and didn't feel it was as challenging as P90X.

I can handle Plyo X from an intensity perspective, I just don't enjoy it. Tough-ness aside, does Intensity have the same "feel", or does Shaun T's personality make the workouts seem different?

Thanks again!

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Above all, don't fear difficult moments. The best comes from them." - Rita Levi-Montalcini
Old 08-25-11, 10:06 AM  
Blackadar

Read my signature to get my feelings on Insanity.

IMO, Insanity is far worse than Plyo X because I don't think Sean's personality is all that great, you have to absolutely kill yourself and the workouts are almost the same thing every day. It's that last point that I can't stress enough - it's the same grind, every day. It's harder than PlyoX and a lot less fun. Also, it's not based on good science and quite a few of us who tried Insanity saw no results for all that effort.

Maybe you could provide a bit more information. P90X is typically more of a strength building routine, but you're asking about Plyo. Are you looking for cardio, weights or both? Are you looking for individual DVDs or an entire system? How hard do you want to go and do you want easier days built in or a constantly demanding schedule?
Old 08-25-11, 10:23 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thanks for your feedback!

Hmm, what am I looking for? Something just as intense as P90X, but I don't want to jump right into a second rotation. I've done CLX and didn't feel it was as challenging as P90X.

I can handle Plyo X from an intensity perspective, I just don't enjoy it. Tough-ness aside, does Intensity have the same "feel", or does Shaun T's personality make the workouts seem different?

Thanks again!
Since CLX is so short, I was able to add on other workouts to make it more challenging.

Insanity is not a balanced rotation. You only get an upper body weight workout in the deluxe package. Have you looked at P90X+? Maybe do some sort of hybrid that comines it with P90X?

Start saving your pennies for P90X2.
Old 08-25-11, 12:12 PM  
Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Start saving your pennies for P90X2.
That's actually exactly why I returned to P90X (after completing my first rotation of it in 2008-2009) - I got SO pumped when I saw the teaser trailer but figured I had to claw my way back to a good fitness level to be ready. DH has been so impressed by my results thus far (12.5 pounds in 8 weeks; to be fair, I am also running 3x a week with a 30 pound toddler in a 25 pound jogging stroller) that I'm hoping he'll cave and just let me preorder!

In the meantime I think I'll look into getting some of the P90X+ workouts used. Thanks for that suggestion!

Blackadar, you hit the nail on the head: I was most concerned about the repetition and fun factor. It sounds like Insanity is not for me after all.

I'm thinking of piecing together a LGI8 rotation using Tonique/P90X (and possibly) P90X+/Jari/Cathe's 4DS to hold me over until I (hopefully) get P90X2.

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-25-11, 01:12 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Blackadar, you hit the nail on the head: I was most concerned about the repetition and fun factor. It sounds like Insanity is not for me after all.

Definitely repetative. I'm not even sure how they chose a different title for each workout, they are so much the same. I think the titles were just chosen at random.
Old 08-25-11, 01:23 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I would also just get P90X+ and add to it. I would get Insanity if you want subs for cardio.
Old 08-25-11, 04:30 PM  
isebelleg44

How about the Peak Fit Workouts? I have only tried Pure Cardio, which I love. I would order them, but I can justify buying another workout system right now. They look really good and balanced. I know there has been some controversy about scratches on dvds, but people seem to love the workouts. Might be worth checking out.

Tags
insanity, p90x