Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-14, 08:07 PM  
Footballnut

Calling all activity tracker pros

I have a question for those of you who use these. I was considering getting one, but what would be the best one for someone with a desk job? I don't think the Fitbit is very effective at calculating calorie burn while seated, is it? I am also considering a standing desk. It will take some getting used to for me, I believe, because I am a transcriptionist and I have to use a foot pedal. I think it might be worth it after I get used to it, though. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-19-14, 07:02 AM  
fit44

I own a polar F4, and it does well recording all activity. I switched to fitbit flex because I have a chain of friends with it, and the competition motivates me.
Comparing the two, polar is more accurate counting all movement.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 04:26 PM  
slysam

I wouldn't use a heart rate monitor for non-aerobic activity. The formulas they use to estimate are based on your average heart rate for the activity compared to your programmed maximum heart rate. In a lab, calorie burn is measured by oxygen use beause during aerobic exercise your heart beats faster to supply oxygen to your muscles. Polar and others are estimating your oxygen use based on your heart rate and using that to estimate calorie burn. The same assumptions don't hold as true for non-cardio. Even for aerobic exercise it is an estimate based on averages and may guess high or low for you. But it is probably one of the better estimates for aerobic activity.

Fitbit, Jawbone, etc are motion based. The wrist worn devices might be okay, but I don't think they would pick up much. I personally wouldn't worry about it because doing office work doesn't actually burn that much more than your resting rate. It burns more, but not that much more. Have you looked at MET (metabolic equivalency for a task) charts? They compare intensity of all sorts of activities (including sedentary and occupational activities so not just exercise). METS can be used to estimate calorie burn as they are adjusted factoring in your resting metabolism. Sitting still is 1 MET, sleeping less than 1 and office work or seated work using hands is something like 1.5 METs. Walking 4.5 mph is 6 METS, I think jumping rope is about 10 METS. tHe fitbit activity database is based on METS adjusted for your stats so you could log office work during your work hours if you want. If you log an activity it changes the fitbit calorie burn accordingly. I log some of my workouts using my heart rate monitor quite often.

The device that I think may be most accurate for you... I don't have one, but I think a bodymedia/bodybug or similar. Those have an arm band with four sensors: motion, perspiration, body temperature and something else (they don't use heart rate, I had read they didn't consider it accurate for non-exercise). I don't know how accurate they are, but it is likely they would be pretty accurate as when metabolism is sped up your body temperature will be higher than when your metabolism is slowed down. I considered one when I was looking at my fitbit, but went with a fitbit because I couldn't see myself wearing an armband every day. I think they are considered among the more accurate activity trackers in terms of calorie burn though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:48 PM  
aunatural

I have a Fitbit Zip and I have a desk job. It does count calories even if you aren't moving. It resets at midnight so I wake up in the morning with 0 steps and some calories burned. I try not to get too wrapped up in the calories burned because it seems to be based on the daily calorie burn estimate for the average woman. I tend to burn calories on the lower end of the scale. I've had my BMR tested and it is around 1400 calories. If I follow my Fitbit's advice, I could eat 1800 calories and still lose weight. I have proven that to be false. I have a routine at work to ensure that I get at least 10,000 steps a day and that is pretty much all I use it for. I think with any activity tracker, you will need to adjust it to your specific needs. My current need is a device that helps me move more during the day. For that purpose, it does a great job.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 10:10 PM  
andtckrtoo

Fitbit makes some great devices. I've had one for years. I just switched to a Polar Loop. I like the loop because it's based more on activity than steps and I can wear a HRM strap with it. The steps are pretty darned close, the calorie burn is actually less on the Polar than the Fitbit, even with the HR Strap. I always felt the Fitbit was a bit generous, but seriously you cannot go wrong with either.
Old 12-19-14, 06:32 PM  
old lady

Angry

I received a FitBit Zip at work back in April. In July the battery indicator said
"low battery" . I replaced the battery and by September I had replaced the battery 5 more times (a total of 7 batteries between April and September). Frustrated, I contacted FitBit and they quickly replaced it within the week. I do have to give FitBit customer service props for their stellar service. I received it at the end of September and put the battery in on October 2.

Last week I started getting emails from FitBit telling me my battery was low. Yesterday, I put in a new battery. This morning I received an email telling me my battery was low AGAIN. I went on the website and was told that having out-of-date firmware could cause the battery to run down. I checked and was told my device was up to date. A few minutes ago the low battery indicator came on the device screen. Now it is off

My question, finally, is: has anyone every had a battery in a FitBit Zip actually last up to 6 months? I'm becoming very disenchanted with this device.
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote