Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-07, 12:33 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Bad Knees Result of Aerobics Article

Interesting article in the Minneapolis StarTribune this morning about how bad knees are a casualty of the aerobics craze of the 80s - don't I know it !!! Jay Blahnik is quoted, along with other familiar names. The article doesn't blame high impact aerobics for all of our joint pain, but also mentions running and kickboxing.

I'm not sure if you have to register at the StarTribune to read this article or not. It's by David Sheff and is from the New York Times.

http://www.startribune.com/1244/story/1031533.html
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 12:59 PM  
porter
VF Supporter

Great article! I've always been very protective of my knees. If there's any jumping involved, I always do that on my rebounder. I wonder how the Catheites feel about this.

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
- Anonymous
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 01:04 PM  
DRD0

This article was already posted here earlier this year, just not from this paper.

As a person who does quite a bit of Cathe, but not in the 80's. I feel fine about it. If I ever have knee damage, it will probably be from all of the running I did in the 70's and 80's not Cathe. I did not start doing high impact aerobics until the mid-80's, but not with Cathe. I did not start using her until about 95.

Personally, I think it is largely genetic whether you have trouble with your knees.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 01:41 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Here's the original thread and NYT article:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=98601

I could've sworn the original article was longer, but I can't tell since it is no longer free.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 03:42 PM  
ellaenchanted

Interesting. I've been a runner for 16 years and have never had a problem. DH, who definitely isn't (and never was) into running or cardio has lots more pains and aches in his ankles and knees.

I think joint problems are more a cause of people not letting injuries heal properly and overtraining (i.e. doing high impact everyday). I know so many inactive people w/ aches and pains in their joints or who have gotten injured. I think if they had been more active they actually would have reduced the problems over the long term.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 04:35 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
Here's the original thread and NYT article:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=98601

I could've sworn the original article was longer, but I can't tell since it is no longer free.
I think the original piece was longer as well.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:37 PM  
bfit

I think the idea that you damage or ruin your knees with higher impact exercise is a harmful myth. I understand that studies have shown that people who run actually have less knee arthritis than people who do not run, and they stay active later in life than non-runners. Obviously, you have to use common sense, and perhaps some instructors and others have definitely overtrained. There a lot of professional athletes who have damaged their bodies too, but they are putting more more stress on their bodies over the years than the ordinary average exerciser.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 08:48 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Cool

My dad was running before it became fashionable, played volleyball every workday at lunch (it was a sacred, lunchtime ritual with the guys...they even redesigned their restroom to include a shower when they had a new lab built!!!), on a part of the parking lot reserved for their game! I guess it's been 20 years since he quit running and also retired, so no more volleyball...anyway, his knees are shot. BUT I am willing to bet there are some overuse issues and also a hereditary tendency towards knee problems anyway here. I don't run, lousy at it, but I can do step and floor cardio, but I stick to my hardwood floors And the way my knees are going (yes, there have been some injuries that needed mending and time to restrengthen), I'll bet I'll be having them replaced...but not any time soon.

Frankly I'd rather be active and accept the fact that injuries may result than be a couch potato and freeze up...better to wear out than rust out
Old 03-04-07, 08:51 PM  
lounsbury
VF Supporter

Like Ella and Bfit said above, I agree that a lot of it has to do with listening to your body, backing off when it's too much, and crosstraining to avoid overuse injuries. And, of course, another big part of it is individual physiology -- people seem to be "built" to either handle more stress on their joints or not.

I thought of that while riding my bike. ~Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity
lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 09:00 PM  
mbt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounsbury
Like Ella and Bfit said above, I agree that a lot of it has to do with listening to your body, backing off when it's too much, and crosstraining to avoid overuse injuries. And, of course, another big part of it is individual physiology -- people seem to be "built" to either handle more stress on their joints or not.
Another thing to add is that people who are overweight are more likely to have knee problems regardless of their activity level. I think we all know the inactive pretty heavy people who are facing knee replacements later in life. So those people who use this as an excuse to not exercise are just being irrational and looking for justifications for avoiding exercise.
mbt is offline   Reply With Quote