Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-11, 06:44 PM  
sologirlie

The Beginner/Intermediate set arrived today! I was disappointed that my kit case was a bit smashed...the cd and dvd were fine, but that's disappointing to me! I think Amazon could have done better with the packaging.

I'll do my best, but since I can't workout right now I feel that takes something away from the review. I think I'd have a much better picture if I actually did the workout once....but here goes:

Here are the menu options: "Meet Kim," "Meet the Jenny Craig Walkers," "10 Minute Walk," "30 Minute Walk," and "Play All." There is no music only option. I really wish there was!

The best thing about the workouts is the background. This is not the Biggest Loser Power Walk background. It looks like they are on a Caribbean island. It's a clear day, and you can see sail boats on the sea and even a cruise ship or two! It looks like they are up on a hill or mountain overlooking the sea. You don't see sand and people....just the water and what's sailing by. There is a lot of greenery, trees, etc....There are some flowers behind them. There are 4 walkers with Kim: 3 females and 1 male.

As far as the intensity of the walk, I would remove the word "intermediate." This is definitely "beginner." I feel that I can easily tell that just from viewing. I don't think there is much of a difference in intensity between the 10 and 30 minute walks. It's just that they are shorter. Oh, and the length of the walks is not totally accurate. The 10 minute walk is more like 12 minutes. The 30 minute walk is more like 28 minutes. After 24 minutes, she says that it's time for cool down.

The 10 minute walk: I love the music at the very beginning - It's a Latin beat...I wish she incorporated more like it throughout the walk. It returns during the cool down. The warm-up was about 5 minutes and the walking steps was only marching. 5 minutes of marching is a bit much for me, I'd have to throw in some other steps. With the arms there is some stretching, reach & pull, up & down. After about 5 minutes they then do a tap...not a tap out like Leslie...but the kind of tap where you are shifting your weight from side to side, like you are preparing for kickboxing moves. She then goes into simple kickboxing steps like bob & weave, punching from side to side while shifting weight with the tap outs. Then there's side steps, she adds bicep curls (no weights), side lateral extensions working the triceps. Then she moves into cool down. They march in place, stretch their arms while marching including arm circles, rolling of the shoulders. There is no stretch after the cool down.

The 30 Minute Walk: I like the music in the beginning, a little different, up beat. All the music is more techno type of generic music. Nothing super exciting but a little bit of a change if most of your indoor walking is with Leslie. Like I said before, I wish she had more with the Latin beat. It was nice and really added to the nice background. Warm-up is similar to the 10 minute walk - all marching in place with the various arm movements. This time it's about 7 minutes before she goes into the taps (shifts side to side). She then goes into simple kickboxing steps like bob & weave, punching from side to side while shifting weight with the tap outs - just like in the 10 minute walk. Then there's side steps, she adds bicep curls (no weights), for the tricep extensions - this time you move the arms back rather than the side, then shoulder raises (the side steps are still going on), upright rows....then shoulder raises & upright rows (she alternates back and forth at a count of 4)...side steps continue (I wish she would change up the steps as often as she does the arms!!!). At about 24 minutes or so they move into cool down and go back to a march, and repeat the stretching type moves with the arms as during the warm-up. The cool down is only about a minute and then she does stretching for about 3 minutes.

I like that there are a lot of arm movements. I would do these workouts together and I would do them with hand weights/weighted gloves. I think that will give me a decent lighter and enjoyable workout. Very pleased with the arm movements - that is usually lacking in a beginner workout like this. I only wish she would have changed up the steps as much as she did the arms. It's basically marching, then shift from side to side/bob & weave, side steps, and then back to marching. I think if i were doing this workout I would have to throw in a few more steps here and there....and I feel there is too much marching in place at the beginning. 5-7 minutes is just too much for me.

Overall, I don't regret purchasing this. I think I'll really enjoy the scenery - We need more good walking workouts with lovely outdoor scenery!!! I'm just going to have to "make it my own" by varying my footwork here and there and punching it up a little with some weights.

I hope the "Intermediate/Advanced" set kicks it up a notch in intensity. And I hope it has some more variety to the footwork. I'll let you know whenever it arrives.

Oh - the music cd: There are 10, 20, and 30 minute walks. These are guided walks. She "coaches" you through it. It doesn't sound like she talks too much. And it's mostly motivation or telling you when you should step it up in pace. The 30 minute walk has some intervals.

The "walking guide" that came with it was nothing exciting. It mostly just describes what's in the kit and gives totally new walkers just a little bit of guidance.

Let me know if you have any questions. I did my best to describe this, considering I haven't actually done the workouts!

Star
sologirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 09:12 PM  
DejaDeb

Thanks sologirlie! That was a great review! I might still be interested in this, if only for the scenery -- as you've stated, you can always "up" the intensity!

Looking forward to your review of the Intermediate/Advanced workout!
Old 04-06-11, 09:44 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I know you said that you purchased the last Advanced dvd, but do you mind posting the Amazon link to the product description for the Advanced dvd? I purchased the Beginner, but can't even locate the Advanced to put on my wish list. Thanks!
Old 04-06-11, 09:47 PM  
spotted zebra

Thanks for your review, Star! How would you say it compares to Debbie Rocker?
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 11:14 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

you did great for not doing the video. So that proves you don't have to do it to give a good review.

Only selling to members isn't going to get Jenny Sales. I bet they change that after the rush dies down because they'll want more business.

Just like. WW.

looking at the 24.99 each, I probably won't purchase them.. For that price they need to throw in a cupcake. lol

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 05:28 AM  
sologirlie

I'm sorry glamgal, I don't see the Advanced set located anywhere on Amazon anymore. It's like they removed the listing after I bought the last one That's odd because usually a listing will still be there and say something like "currently unavailable."

Spotted Zebra - I think the only comparison to Debbie Rocker is the outdoor scenery and the love for marching steps (Well at the beginning/warm-up anyway). Debbie is much more intense. Debbie has a more professional/coach-like voice. Kim is more "friendly." She's not silly, but she's just a little more perky - but not annoyingly so like lets say Denise Austin. Debbie's walking workouts are the only ones I'm aware of with very nice scenery. That being said something about them have never excited me and I find, even though I like the scenery, I don't go to pull them off my shelf too often. I think Kim's seems more enjoyable, even though the intensity is much lighter and even though she really could have varied the footwork more.

Star
Old 04-07-11, 05:46 AM  
sologirlie

Has anyone tried Kim's "Start Fitness Now" 3 DVD set? It is VERY beginner. In fact, if I were to purchase it I think I'd only get the 3rd dvd which would be the most "advanced" out of the 3. But it was that series that gave me the added push to buy these workouts from her. Even though those are VERY beginner, I liked what I saw. I hoped that this walking set would be similar but more intense. I think they are a small step up in intensity, but still not the intensity I would have hoped for....but we'll see what happens with the Advanced one....

Star
Old 04-07-11, 06:27 AM  
Fit Kitty

Thanks, Star! Great review! I am still interested in these, but I am patient. I can wait until they are more widely available. I'm in Canada so I know it will take a while to get them around here. I don't even know if we have Jenny Craig in Canada. Thanks for writing such a great review!

Karen
Fit Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 06:51 AM  
shelleyann

Sorry, I think I might have missed something here. Is there more than one program on the dvd for beginner, intermediate and advanced? Or are they on separate dvds? Is this the one you purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/Jenny-Craig-Wa...hu-rd_add_1_dp

Without doing the more advanced one, have you previewed it or do you know how long it is? Thanks! I'm interested in this, but am more intermediate-advanced looking for a nice walking routine. Thank you for any input.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 07:33 AM  
anne-elliot

Thanks for the great review! The caribbean island sounds lovely & I think I might purchase for that alone! Look forward to your review of the Advanced dvd when it finally arrives!

Liked the scenery in Debbie Rocker walking dvd, but didn't enjoy the w/o or Debbie, so gave them away.
anne-elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jenny craig, kim lyons, let's walk it off, walking workouts