Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-22, 08:11 AM  
mandie123

Suggestions for herniated disc?

Recently diagnosed with bulging and herniated lumbar disc.Don't have alot of pain,mainly went to Dr as lost muscle activation in left glute and thigh muscle.Have had MRI,also scheduled for spinal injection this Monday.Been going to PT,which is mostly working on my core.I was doing alot of pilates and Essentrics and really miss them!I'am pretty sure my back problems stem from several car accidents I've been in over the years,and combined with aging!I am so tempted to start essentrics again,anyone have experience with back issues and what helped??Feeling discouraged
Old 11-03-22, 09:01 AM  
sbh

I blew out my low back after a hysterectomy. Gentle workouts work for me. I no longer do mountain climbers, anything that requires jumping or high impact, workouts that have too much forward flexion - especially weighted workouts, pilates, cardio with quick choreography, step workouts with 2 or more risers, workouts that have twisting - example boxing. Still can't do water workouts because being buoyant triggers nerve pain. It's been 18 years and I am just now able to do yoga again.

My two cents, start over again with basic, easy workouts. Take note of what feels awkward now, even if it is a slight feeling. Workouts that promote balance will be good since you have a permanent injury to your midsection. I'm sorry to hear you are injured. I would not wish this kind of pain on anyone. I hope this helps.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-22, 06:52 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I injured my low back. I had to wait for a long time for it to heal. I cautiously tried easy Pilates workouts (Kathy Smith) and would wait and see if the moves caused any pain. They didn't so I continued. I did find some of the more advanced moves did irritate my back so I didn't do those.

I avoid any moves where you bend forward unsupported, so no stiff legged dead lifts for me as well as a few other moves such as triceps kickbacks where you bend forward.

Start out cautiously and see how your back feels. Back off immediately if there's even the slightest irritation. You may find you can do more than you think. You'll only know by trying, but do not push yourself too hard.

This is a situation where caution is best.
Old 11-05-22, 06:57 AM  
mandie123

Thanks both for replying!I am just going to go slow,would love to continue with essentrics,but the forward bending scares me!I'am trying my best to avoid any back surgery!
Old 11-05-22, 11:15 AM  
Leonana

I find certain movements tweak my lower back. I can't do crunches or ab leg lifts on the floor, and need to limit too much forward bending. I like this back friendly strength workout by Jessica Smith.

https://youtu.be/zq6oSICxgeU

I also like the you tube channel Improved Health. It's for seniors and beginners, and she seems to limit the forward bending moves.
Old 11-08-22, 10:35 PM  
bfit

Can you sit OK? What about chair workouts? Some of them are fairly energetic and do not generally involve bending over. Paul Eugene, Pahla B, and Caroline Jordan are You Tube instructors you could check out for chair workouts.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 06:18 AM  
mandie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I find certain movements tweak my lower back. I can't do crunches or ab leg lifts on the floor, and need to limit too much forward bending. I like this back friendly strength workout by Jessica Smith.

https://youtu.be/zq6oSICxgeU

I also like the you tube channel Improved Health. It's for seniors and beginners, and she seems to limit the forward bending moves.
Thanks,I am going to try that Jessica workout!
Old 11-09-22, 06:21 AM  
mandie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Can you sit OK? What about chair workouts? Some of them are fairly energetic and do not generally involve bending over. Paul Eugene, Pahla B, and Caroline Jordan are You Tube instructors you could check out for chair workouts.
I have alot of chair workouts saved,but right now I'am selling the house,so the only furniture I have left is my couch and bed

Tags
bulging disc, herniated disc