Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-05, 02:28 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Red face Going to the other side of the world and need exercise and yoga advice :)

I'm going to Australia next week and it's just dawned on me that I have no idea if I can take my yoga mat or what I'll do if my Erich Schiffmann book is too heavy to pack or if I forget my travel plug and find myself unable to recharge my iPod! So, I realised I need help, a little bit of straightening out and some solid advice on how to physcially survive a long haul flight, working out in a different time zone (it's GMT +11 where I'm going) and any suggestions for favourite yoga practices or other workout routines that you could do in front of complete strangers.

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome If anyone has a recommendation for how to manage exercising outdoors and sun cream I would also be grateful.

It's been one heck of a year (hence my not being able to get online and post here as much) and I've missed you all at VF so much.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 12-13-05, 03:17 PM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

Of course you can take your yoga mat, unless it just doesn't fit in your suitcase. And if it doesn't fit... they sell yoga mats there. There have been times in my life when I traveled a lot, and it works like this:

1)procrastinate about packing;
2) pack in a big rush;
3)arrive and go immediately to the store to buy something I forgot.

There have been a few times that I knew this strategy wouldn't work -going to a small village in India, with no time to shop in Delhi (and I wouldn't know what I'd forgotten by then, anyway) and going to a place with no name in eastern Africa. Same thing. Mombasa has stores, but I wouldn't be able to use them.

After those experiences I made a list of all the things I need when I travel. The list is stored in my suitcase. Even I can't miss it there!

Andrea
Old 12-13-05, 03:18 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

How cool that you are going to Australia! I don't know if I have any good advice for you, but SharonNYC has posted some good advice for yoga traveling on yogalila

http://www.yogalila.com/sharon/index.html

Have a great trip!
Old 12-13-05, 03:45 PM  
Sophie

Great to see a post from you, Lisa!

You forgot to tell use where you'll be, what kind of a place you'll be staying at, whether there will be studios nearby, that sort of thing. Details, woman! We want details!
I honestly can't remember what kind of power AUS uses compared to the UK, but finding an adapter for charging my iPod would be a priority

You could put some cardio coach MP3s on it - I found myself using vol. 2 a couple of times when I was on holiday this summer - it's adaptable to walking, running, cycling outdoors (and I do hope you'll be outdoors!) or if not, usable on exercise machines.

Do you already have yoga workouts on it? If I were going on holidays now, I would put the audio of Erich Schiffman's stuff on it (I've ripped some audio tracks from my DVD for this) and probably some Ana Forrest and then something slower.

(Although to tell the truth - more often than not, I just use it for background music while doing my own practice)

If you don't already have a thin mat, it's handy to have one, because you can fold it in a square rather than roll it, which could make it easier to pack.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 04:28 PM  
sherry7899

Lisa,

Hey! I'm so glad to see you! Have a wonderful time on your trip. I"ve tried to pm you several times, but your box has been full.

Hugs,
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 05:05 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Oh wow! So many wonderful replies already. Thank you for that link to Sharon's page, it's absolutely perfect. I was going to take my mat in a mat bag but then I realised it might count as hand luggage or a handbag and I'd like to take both of those thank you - and my yoga mat I hadn't thought about putting it in my suitcase though. Andrea.. I pack just like you do: last minute

I'm going to Tasmania on the 23rd and I'll be arriving on Christmas morning I'm going alone and will be starting off in Hobart and after that I'm not really sure. I am meeting up with someone over there and at the moment we've only got as far as planning what we will do on Christmas Day when I arrive I do have a hotel booked and will be spending the first few days in Hobart. I just want to walk a lot, breathe in the air, climb trees, sketch, read and practice yoga in beautiful surroundings.

ATB,
- Lisa
Old 12-13-05, 05:06 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899
Lisa,

Hey! I'm so glad to see you! Have a wonderful time on your trip. I"ve tried to pm you several times, but your box has been full.

Hugs,
Sherry
oops It's clear now {{{{{hugs}}}}}
Old 12-13-05, 06:19 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Yes I always fold my mat and pack it in the suitcase. One less thing to carry. I used to carry it on in the mat bag before carry ons were such a hassle.
Old 12-13-05, 09:55 PM  
yogini_michelle

i went on a cruise in november, i didn't bring my mat with me but wish i had. i did get a chance to do yoga classes (with their mat) on the cruise. but when we got to different ports i was lucky to stumble upon studios, and able to take a class before i had to run back to the boat.

anyway, the point of the post is, if you have a chance take a local class. yogajournal.com should have a listing of international studios. and i know yogafinder.com does. here's the link for australia

http://www.yogafinder.com/yogaarea.c...ntry=Australia

doing a search i also found: http://www.findyoga.com.au/

and if you can't find something beforehand, when i was in miami/south beach i was able to find a handful of studios by asking the hotel/locals/ and the phone book.

have an awesome trip!
yogini_michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 11:46 PM  
Helen

Our power points are three pronged. The top two slope towards the centre top, the 3rd is longer, at the centre bottom and vertical. Most small appliances only need/have the top 2.

Happy to answer any dumb stuff - anything to help someone avoid dorkdom
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote