VF Supporter

Is Karen Voight's GWW on DVD????

Terri
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 10:04 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have about 5 instructors that I buy no matter what

Just curious, Kathy, which 5 instructors those are?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 10:09 AM  
Norma H.
VF Supporter

Karen Voight Delivers Quality

While reading through this thread, the same question kept coming to mind. And that question is:

"Do you want to be entertained or do you want an efficient and effective body changing workout?" And if your choice leans to the latter, then Karen Voight can help you.

As I said before, her workouts have always struck me as the most intelligent amongst my collection. Her preference for high reps, low weights? I'm betting that Karen Voight values this approach due to its lower risk of injury. Repetitive tiresome moves? It takes hard work to bring superior results. Just ask any gold medal coveting athlete!
Norma H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:20 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by videogirl
Oh how I wished I liked her! I think her workouts would be very effective and I think her form and instruction are excellent. But I find her very grim. I start her workouts in a good mood and slowly but surely start feeling down.
I feel pretty much the same way. She's just too dry for me.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:32 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Smile the Al Gore of instructors

It's easy to make fun of Karen because she's so wooden, but I still think she's one of the best. (For some reason, when she appears on talk shows, she's totally opposite - all giggly and lighthearted. Maybe she should have her own TV show.)

Karen reminds me of some of the super-tough math professors in college. They practically make you cry, yet at the end of the semester you realize how much you've learned. I wouldn't really call Karen's videos "fun", and they can be deadly dull, yet the next day I feel aches and twitches that no other video gives me. She does have a talent for working out those "hidden" muscles.

I also like how she makes cardio segments intense without a lot of high impact, by using large lower body movements like squats and lunges. If she could get better at cueing, she could be a great cardio instructor as well.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:39 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Thumbs up I Love Her Too!

Yep - love that KV. Thanks to VF, my first exposure to her was in Your Personal Best. I don't care for Elle, but I still love this video! I'd do more cicuit style training if all tapes were like this one. I love KV's attention to form and her mellow personality. I do wish she'd do a slower/heavier weight workout though as this seems to be more effective for me. Her ab work is the BEST though! I recently discovered Cathe's strength work, but I still skip her abs and do Karen's!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 12:02 PM  
planimal
VF Supporter

Moi asked....

Moi asked which were Karen's best workouts. I like all the ones I have, but the one that got me started, and that someone else mentioned in this thread, is FIRM ARMS AND ABS. No pushups! She does have them in some of her other workouts. Also, I liked the variation on triceps work--she has you lie on your back and raise the dumbbell over/across your chest. When I do those standing or sitting triceps exercises with the dumbbell behind the head (French press?) I use part of my energy trying to keep my arms in the right position, not to mention the rest of my body.

The others that I have and like: Lean Legs and Buns, Strong and Smooth Moves (I use it mainly for the low-impact cardio), and her DVDs--Circuit, Strong and Streamlined, and Pilates. I also like the Great Weighted Workout, which I borrow from the library sometimes. I should point out for honesty's sake that I skip most of the squats and knee-bending lunges in these; I concentrate on the arm and lying-down leg exercises.

I don't think GWW is on DVD; I think she only has four DVDs, including a Yoga one I don't have.

I never found her grim; maybe a little "dry" but I can see in her a very calm enthusiasm for what she's doing. I suppose it's an individual thing.

--planimal (Anne)
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 12:08 PM  
KimberlyN
VF Supporter

don't like the gadgets

I really like the Karen Voight videos I have, but whenever I look in to getting some more, I'm put off by the gadget requirements. I'm pretty much an exercise equipment minimalist. It seems like many of videos require some device that I don't have (green genie, fitness ring, etc), and is sometimes difficult to substitute. I guess that stuff might be entertaining, but it's just not for me.
Old 07-23-02, 12:26 PM  
planimal
VF Supporter

Minimalism

I don't buy much equipment either. I use my 2.5 pound ankle weights in place of small weighted balls, and, well, a 15-inch plastic laundry tub in place of the ring. Hey, it works!

--planimal
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 01:08 PM  
Norma H.
VF Supporter

Just one of the many pleasures.....

.............and surprises I might add, of this forum is humor like this! I am cracking up at the very idea of your ingenuity, Planimal! Laundry basket, you say? I'm glad you pointed out that you use a 15 inch one. I can't imagine getting a laundry basket of any size between my legs! This is just too funny!
Norma H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high rep, karen voight