Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-10, 06:56 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSofa View Post
Hi Michelle, I was just going to post this
http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-2-of-3/

when I came across your posting. I read the above on a blog today. It goes into even more detail than the article you posted, from an interview with the same contestant who's now speaking out. The details are quite upsetting, I think. And it's revealing that a "week" in which the people supposedly lose 10-12 pounds can be a lot longer than 7 days. (Ah, that makes sense.)

I've never been a fan of the show. After reading this, I'm not interested in tuning in to watch it ever again.
I have always been turned off by this shows premise. I love the message "get off the couch". I just don't like the extremes of how they go about it? It's either we are really obsessed with health/fitness or just throw it out the window. Can the show not promote a happy medium?!
Old 06-26-10, 08:02 AM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I loathe The Biggest Loser and almost all of this type of show. How can anyone be surprised that a "reality show" isn't real?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell ya!!!
On the one hand, I think it's horrible that people will exploit other people's problems and weaknesses for entertainment and profit.

On the other hand, these contestants do this voluntarily - no one forced them to do this.

What does it say about our society? Anyone who needs to lose weight and get in shape should not look to these reality shows.

FitTv used to have a show - diet doctor - she was a MD with a nutrition degree and she would rate the current popular healthy diets - then take a client and put her or him on one of the plans but tweek it for their personal lifestyle. Exercise was always talked about - the people were eating healthy and exercising and it was informational and helpful and motivational.

Weight loss should not be a competition - Our bodies are all different. It takes me a long time to lose 3lbs but someone taller it may take them one week.

Rant over
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 08:49 AM  
Janga

Lightbulb

Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne View Post
I am just wondering if Kai Hibbert being the spokeswoman for LiVea had anything to do with her blasting Biggest Loser. In her blog she said she is able to keep her weight down using LiVea and was advertising for LiVea.

Somehow I wonder if that has to do with anything. I read her blog when this thread came up but today her blog was no more available when I check it. This was what I got when I check the blog today:

Kai Hibbard's Blog
6 Sep 2009 ... Important Note: The author of this blog and advertising agency are affiliated by LiVea and Kai Hibbard is a paid spokesperson for LiVea ...
www.kaisdiet.com/ -

Kari

"Who puts the food in my mouth? God? The devil? I do!" ~ Jack LaLanne

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 12:14 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
What does it say about our society? Anyone who needs to lose weight and get in shape should not look to these reality shows.

...Rant over
Really good point, Bebop.

I still say it works as entertainment. The audience likes the transformations and the competition, including the strategizing by the contestants. And I say this as someone who hates the show.

But as a template for weight loss and healthy living I think it fails. It's kind of like looking at Survivor and thinking "now if I get shipwrecked I'll be able to survive using these techniques..."

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 01:02 PM  
horsemom2

I am betting some contestants intentionally gain their whole first month loss or even more to get on the show and to have their highest starting weight possible.

Barb S
who gained 20 pounds at my first all inclusive resort on my first honeymoon just eating and drinking whatever I wanted and without the intention of gaining (imagine if it had been my intention to gain weight!)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 01:13 PM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I am betting some contestants intentionally gain their whole first month loss or even more to get on the show and to have their highest starting weight possible.

Barb S
who gained 20 pounds at my first all inclusive resort on my first honeymoon just eating and drinking whatever I wanted and without the intention of gaining (imagine if it had been my intention to gain weight!)
I totally agree. Another annoying thing are the "home videos" of contestants jamming food in their mouths. Like anyone would just happen to have a video of themselves pigging out. My former sister-in-law is obese and she always eats secretly and then bemoans that she just can't lose weight.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 04:40 PM  
juberann

I have NEVER liked The Biggest Loser or felt what they were doing (and how they go about it) was right or healthy.......now I know why

Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 05:41 PM  
Sunnyday

When BL first started, I used to only like to watch the weigh in at the end because I didn't enjoy all the yelling and events they put these people thru. I lost complete interest about 2 years ago and haven't watched it at all. Now I can understand why they lost so many pounds since it really wasn't a real week to week weigh in. I felt they mis-treated these people and were not really trying to help them.

I also wondered why Kai was sharing all these things, but now knowing she is a paid spokesperson, that makes sense. I also don't think this new diet that she is doing is necessary as she's said she was fit and could easily lose weight like her friends. So she lost some trust with me.
Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 10:45 AM  
Janga

Smile

I am sure they do this and probably try to gain more before the first weigh-in that they can quickly drop during the season. I've watched them lined up at the mall during a couple of the casting calls they had there and recognized a few people on the show later that I glimpsed at the auditions and to my eyes it looked like they'd gained weight since I saw them in person.

P.S. not stalking BL casting calls lol, I go to that mall all the time and watched them out for awhile out of curiosity about the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post

Barb S

Old 06-27-10, 10:47 AM  
Janga

Smile

Kai has no credibility with me at all, neither does anyone who hawks commercial diet products (including Jillian).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
When BL first started, I used to only like to watch the weigh in at the end because I didn't enjoy all the yelling and events they put these people thru. I lost complete interest about 2 years ago and haven't watched it at all. Now I can understand why they lost so many pounds since it really wasn't a real week to week weigh in. I felt they mis-treated these people and were not really trying to help them.

I also wondered why Kai was sharing all these things, but now knowing she is a paid spokesperson, that makes sense. I also don't think this new diet that she is doing is necessary as she's said she was fit and could easily lose weight like her friends. So she lost some trust with me.

Tags
jillian michaels, the biggest loser