Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you have knee problems?
I've been exercising for less than one year and have few or no knee problems 6 6.52%
I've been exercising less than a year and have moderate knee problems 5 5.43%
I've been exercising less than one year and have serious knee problems 0 0%
I've been exercising 1 to 5 years and have few/no knee problems 18 19.57%
I've been exercising 1 to 5 years and have moderate knee problems 12 13.04%
I've been exercising 1 to 5 years and have serious knee problems 2 2.17%
I've been exercising over 5 years and have few/no knee problems 26 28.26%
I've been exercising over 5 years and have moderate knee problems 22 23.91%
I've been exercising over 5 years and have serious knee problems 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-02, 02:13 PM  
planimal
VF Supporter

Do you have knee problems?

While people who have knee problems often can't say exactly what caused them, I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us have these problems.

Most of all I'm hoping to discover that many people have been exercising a long time and their knees are fine.

As for what is meant by exercising--any regular (several times per week) exercise outside of what's required by a normal life, not just videotapes. As for the degree of problems, I ask you to use your own judgment.

Thanks,

--planimal (Anne)
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 03:05 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

No problems

I've been working out for about 10 years or so (at least steadily) and have no knee problems. My feet on the other hand......
Old 08-01-02, 03:35 PM  
MsChana
VF Supporter

I'd vote for "other" if that were a choice. I wasn't sure which one to answer. I've been very active almost my entire life with the exception of around a 4-year period where I went on short walks a few times a week and that was it.

I've had chronically-dislocating knees since I was a toddler that were neither caused by nor are aggravated by exercise. The vast majority of them happened while slowly walking on a wet/icy road/sidewalk.

In general, I don't ever have irritation or pain with standing leg work, step, running, plyos (in moderation!), etc. The only time I'm ever even a little sore is when I'm overdue to change shoes.
Old 08-01-02, 05:59 PM  
planimal
VF Supporter

This poll is full of holes that I didn't know how to plug up with 10 or fewer options. It'll only give us some general ideas. Looks interesting so far; thanks for the answers. Anybody else?

--planimal (Anne)
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 06:57 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Few to None - So Far

I chose few to none under the 1-5 years category. Over the last 6 months to a year, I've noticed my knees get 'stiff'. Since I started step aerobics 4 months ago, the stiffness got worse, so I usually use a 4" step unless it's a short workout. I'm really trying to listen to my body, so if my knees seem to be tired, I do low impact floor aerobics or something similar. I've recently aquired a bike too - does anyone with 'twingy knees' go biking regularly? I'm wondering how it will affect me.

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 08:12 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

No problems, just warnings.

I don't have knee problems. However, for a couple of years, around 1996 or 1997 or so, I used to climb 75 steps just about every day. Since then, I've had a slight twinge in my left knee. Not a problem at all, but it is a warning and a reminder to be careful.

I don't do high impact, I don't do much step work. I don't do much standing leg work and I'm really careful about what I do.

Lenore (whose butt is really sore today, from Margaret Richard's floor work)
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 10:13 AM  
Heather B

I have warnings too

I am a large person and I have a third floor walk up apartment. There are more than 50 steps from the street to my door. I also walk up the stairs from the subway at least once a day. If I go up and down my apartment stairs more than 5 times in one day, I get twinges in my knees if I'm not careful about where my knees are inrelation to my toes.

I don't do high impact cardio and I avoid lunges, but I sometimes catch myself locking my knees waiting for the train, particularly if I'm wearing a shoe with a heel.

I guess it is always important to be aware of your form, whether you are "exercising" or just standing!

-heather in philly
Heather B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 11:39 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I stopped running in high school because my knees hurt, but continued playing tennis with no problems. Just this past summer, though, I've been doing a lot of hiking and often get severe pain in my knees when walking downhill. I've been trying to take it easy on the dips and lunges as a consequence. It's odd, because my legs have never been in better shape.
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 01:31 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Moderate problems after a decade

I have been exercising for 10 years doing lots of step aerobics and standing floorwork. I started to have knee twinges last summer especially when doing repeaters in step work. Since then I've cut way back on step, and I don't do repeaters anymore. I think I caught it before severe damage was done.

My joints are very loose and my feet are flat so those might be contributing factors.

I'm now doing the knee and foot strengthening exercises in Peak Performance Fitness. I'm hoping they will help.
Old 08-02-02, 02:23 PM  
SweatyGirl
VF Supporter

Unhappy definitely

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I took ballet for about 14 years, never had a problem with my knees... the problem started when I stopped practicing ballet. I sometimes wonder if all that turning out is only good if you keep it up--since apparently that position is not supposed to be natural...??

anyhow... I'm glad I enjoy low impact, endurance stuff..
SweatyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote