Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-12, 10:49 AM  
slysam

Enablers--What ballet cardio would I like?

I have recently rediscovered the New York City Ballet Workout (2), it was actually my first workout dvd but was in some ways too challenging for me at the time and also I found it dark and dull. I've been doing parts of it as add ons for the past couple weeks and really like it. There is a section where they teach several dance combinations and then put them together into a dance. I think that section is 12 minutes long (including the teaching). I find every time I do it, I get a better cardio workout than before (there was a little learning curve). But it is only 12 minutes and I can't make myself to go through the instruction segment twice in the same day.

Does anyone know of any fun, ballet or other dance oriented cardio dvds? (Ideally the cardio is longer than 12 minutes?). I have a few barre dvds, but specifically want cardio (I don't mind if t includes barre, toning or stretching, just the cardio is the main thing I am looking for). I do have a few dance dvds, but usually dance styles that use the hips and torso more so I guess I am interested in some that use the legs and extended arm movements more.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 02:56 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Take a look at Ballet Bootcamp and Ballet Bootcamp II by Jessica Sherwood. There is definitely cardio in these--one thing that I seem to recall is that you need a lot of space (or at least more than I have) for the cardio.

Balocity also has a cardio effect; in fact I think it is mostly cardio. It's by Deanna McBrearty, who is in the NY City Ballet workouts.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 03:02 PM  
moonbeam31

Beyond Balletone, or Ellen Barrett's: Fat-Burning Fusion or Power Fusion or Grace and Gusto- not really ballet, but there are a lot of ballet-type movements-and it is definately cardio.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 05:02 PM  
txfitmom

You might like something by Tracey Mallett she has the Renew You workouts, Booty Barre, and then the new ones coming out in May, Dance Fuse. Also, look into Balletone and Jennifer Kries has one called New Body Ballet. I also like Jennifer Galardi's Sweating Sexy and Ballet Body. Sweating Sexy has an actual long cardio segment on it. Of course, I am also a sucker for any Ellen workout, they pretty much all have a cardio effect.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 11:54 PM  
Sharaz

I'm not sure if match the ballet cardio category, but Ellen's Crunch Fat Burning Pilates and Crunch Burn & Firm Pilates are kinda dancy with a lot of plies and graceful arms movements. The workouts are pretty much standing pilates as she called it. There is cardio effect on both.

This is the only ones that I have from her and fit into my no high intensity days criteria. I love both
Old 04-05-12, 05:27 AM  
topfitmama

Have you checked out Acacia's Dance and Be Fit series? I tried Lower Body Burn and enjoyed it. It's often featured on Acacia's weekly free workouts. Here's a clip.

UK Ballet Workout by Joey Bull has a 20 minute cardio section that looks like ballet from this short clip
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 11:30 AM  
Eibhinn

There really isn't much in the way of straight ballet cardio. Almost all ballet workouts I've seen are overwhelmingly strength and flexibility work, and those that are "cardio" are often very fusion-y to the point that they barely resemble ballet anymore. I felt that way about Balocity - a large portion of that workout is prancing back and forth doing balletic ponies. I really wanted to like Balocity and really didn't, and recall the majority of VFers who tried it reporting similar reactions. Collage's breakdowns and clips are useful for breaking down workouts to look for cardio sections, which is why I've linked to them here.

The only DVD I can think of that is only Ballet cardio is Balletone: Centre Moves. Keep in mind it's not super challenging, but it's pleasant enough.
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...ter-moves-7377

Ballet Bootcamp I has 13 minutes of cardio at the end. I can't comment on what it's like sine I don't have it.
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...tbootcamp-7233

Ballet Bootcamp II has 15 minutes of cardio at the end. It's a pretty big space hog, but is actually dancing ballet
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...otcamp-ii-7055

Beyond Balletone also has 13 minutes of cardio at the end, plus 8 minutes of cardio with strength included. It's also a pretty big space hog, but only front-back, not side to side.
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...balletone-7885

Aerobarre seems to have cardio ballet intervals mixed with boxing. It looks strange.
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...sculpting-5864
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 11:45 PM  
slysam

Thanks! I ended up ordering Baletone Center Moves. I do need to check out some Ellen in the future though. I actually have Aerobarre and have been doing it fairly often as I've also been on a Micheal Olajide kick lately.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet, ballet cardio