Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-02, 12:19 AM  
Pallas

suggestions for a DVD library?

OK so here we are in Taipei... luckily I did manage to get some of my favorite workouts on VCD before we moved, but most of them stayed behind. Well after spending the $$ to have them shipped over from Seattle, Taipei customs managed to ERASE my tapes. BOO HOO HOO! All my favorites, GONE, and the Taiwan govt is not going to reimburse me either.

So I've decided the safest thing to do is break out the credit card and get some DVDs. I was going to (gulp) purchase Cathe's whole library, but on reading up found she's quite high-impact, which is something my grumpy knees can't tolerate.

I figured for strength, I'd go with Cathe;
For Yoga/Pilates there are many good choices;
But I'm having a hard time finding lower-impact, higher-intensity cardio DVDs... figured I'd look at the Taebo Ripped series, and get the upcoming Powerstrike DVD also.

But as more than one VFer has lamented, there just isn't a whole lot out there in DVD land! If someone could give me some pointers I'd be VERY appreciative...
Pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 09:08 AM  
Elisabeth
VF Supporter

The 2200 series from CIA is on DVD; it's very expensive but there are some great workouts there (not all low impact). The website is www.ciavideo.com (I think).

Christi Taylor has DVD's coming out in the fall; the last I heard there will be 2: one of the Just for Fun series and one of the Heavenlies. She's not high impact like Cathe anyway, and her high impact can generally easily be modified to low. There are all great, great workouts.

Donna Read has a new DVD coming out this summer and she often does low impact. You can get the details at her website: www.donnareadfitness.com

What about Kari Anderson's new series? I don't know if it's already out on DVD but it's going to be very soon if it isn't already. I don't know what her website is, but I'm sure you can get the details easily. (There have been a lot of threads here about her new workouts).

ANd I'm so sorry to hear about your workouts getting erased! That's HORRIBLE!
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 09:43 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Here are some top DVD picks -

- Pilates - Living Arts Intermediate Mat with Ana Caban
- Yoga - Crunch Joy of Yoga/Fat Burning Yoga with Sara Ivanhoe
- Yoga #2 - Stress Relief/AM/PM from Living Arts
- Power Yoga - Living Arts for Beginners (Stretch, Flexibility and Strength) Rodney Yee
- Kickboxing - Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout (even though I'm not a big kickboxing fan)
- Step Aerobics - Totally Cool Step with Christi Taylor
- Stretch - Tamilee's Total Body Stretch
- Strength -Tamilee's I Want that Body

Cathe's strength series sounds good. You might also consider Kathy Smith's personal trainer DVD and some of the FIRM DVDs like Upper and Lower Body Split.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 10:05 AM  
planimal
VF Supporter

Karen Voight's STRONG AND STREAMLINED has a low-impact cardio workout, but it's rather short, something like 25 minutes, maybe thirty with the warmup. Some people don't like the weird lighting, but it doesn't bother me; it's different.

--planimal (Anne)
planimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 09:31 PM  
Pallas

Thanks guys! Most of those are workouts I would never have found on my own. This is why I love VF!
Pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 09:50 PM  
Trish
VF Supporter

Hi Pallas!

All of the above suggestions are very good--

I'd also recommend the Firm's Super Cardio Mix --I hated this on vhs because of the couple of hi impact segments, but with dvd, I just press the index/skip button on the remote and I instantly jet past all those plyo

Also Firm's Tough Tape 2/ 5 day Abs dvd --TT2 is just one of my all time favorites.

Yes, and as Nat said, Tamilee's Stretching/Flexibility dvd is a must have IMO

I am very sorry to hear about your VHS!
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote