Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-05-21, 10:49 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I swear I've slimmed down all over from these rowing workouts and am really looking forward to doing a similar series with weights next!
I bet you have. Daphne and I have decided that we are STRONG as can be from rowing. That it has helped us in all other aspects of exercise. It's the miracle exercise. But we've also decided (shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!) not to tell anyone.

Welcome to the club.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 01:09 AM  
Vantreesta

Thu 3/4 199 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 5) WED
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) WED
32 minutes (from 2.4 mi for 10k trainer wk4 day1/Ambient Osaka Cherry Blossoms walk 2/ TWINS!!!) WED
14 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 3) THU 1st time
28 minutes (from Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope day 10) MON 28
9 minutes (from Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates -Butt) WED
20 minutes (from Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice)
76 minutes (from 3 dog walks 4.92 mi)

Fri 3/5 131 minutes
8 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 6) THU
15 minutes (from C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, YT) THU
12 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 4) FRI 1st time
11 minutes (from bike trainer 30) THU made myself go one minute longer than last time!
30 minutes (from L. Sansone Walk off Fat Fast Fat Burning Walks -30 Minute Big Burn) needed more calorie burn!
55 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.74 mi)

I think the wheel value is still wrong on my bike computer. It said I barely rode faster than I run, which is not very fast! I made myself ride for a minute longer than last time. My quads were still on fire but at least I was steady getting off it this time. I almost fell when I got off on jelly legs the other day! I need to have hubby look at the bike again this wknd bc the brake pads are still touching the wheel and I don't think the chain is on right. If I shift on the right side it seems fine but shifting on the left doesn't seem right.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 04:01 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: It’s so nice to get out with friends, isn’t it? We still have a lot of restrictions here, so outside with friends is the only thing I’ve done in a year. I like barre for lower body, so I’ll have to see how I like the Peloton ones. I have a Cathe lower body with the fit tower, which is sort of barre, and I think I have a Physique 57 lower body one. I really liked the original P57 DVD except for the arm part at the beginning. I guess I could skip through that and get to the part I like. I plan to start using the Helm on the BOSU and move up to the ball. It looks much safer on the BOSU.

Cleda and Daphne: I’m so glad you let us in on your top secret workout! I’m only rowing twice a week—one long and one short—but I think it’s making a difference for me too.

Vantreesta: I hope you get the bike thing figured out!

Yesterday I walked 5 miles at Burke Lake—the 4.5 mile trail and a big loop around the parking lot to get up to 5. It was chilly and windy, but I really enjoyed it. Then last night I played Just Dance on the Wii with Megan for over an hour. My active recovery day was way more active than recovery.

This morning, I redid my FTP test for the power zone training. I increased my average output by 6 watts. My goal was to increase by 2 watts over the 8 weeks, so I’m thrilled with that. Although I have to give Denis’s playlist some of the credit—Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, and a few others I can’t remember but really carried me through. Of course this means I now have higher outputs for each zone whenever I ride, so it’ll be harder, but that’s why we do this, right? After being so down on my fitness for so long, it feels good to have tangible proof of improvement.

I tried to do my kettlebells after, but I left it all on the bike, so I did what I could with my lightest kettlebells. I managed 10 minutes of Fitness+ core too with the super-ripped Greg, who I’ve taken lots of classes from in-person at DCAC over the years. It was pretty easy compared to Peloton core, but that’s what I needed today.

It’s still looking like I’ll get to run tomorrow. Yay!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 11:58 AM  
Daphne M

Alison - Congrats on the 6 watts - that's a big accomplishment in a short time! I just did a Denis ride with Foo Fighters and it was so much fun. I was so happy with the music I didn't even mind his air guitar riffs on the bike.

Cleda - I think our secret is out! Yep, I am blown away by how much rowing has improved my posture and strength. I feel long and strong. I can feel it when I run: a solid, stable core and none of my usual nagging pains after I ramp up my mileage. I can feel it on the bike: I'm not hunched into a "C", my back is long and my chest is lifted and I'm comfortable on the seat -- I had zero breaking-in period when I got back in the saddle as a matter of fact. I can definitely feel it when I do push-ups or planks or roll-ups. My legs are also stronger. In fact, my average watts on the rower have gone up about 15 watts since November 5 and there's lots more room for improvement.

Vannie - It sounds like your bike and Alison's rower have the same issue with not giving you proper credit for your mileage.

Pratima and Mollie - Darn, you are both on the other page, so this is just a big wave.

Me - I had an unusually consistent week. Alison - I was inspired by your metrics, so I went back and counted up my numbers for the week. I think it was my most well-rounded week in years. You guys are really a great influence on me.

Highlights:
  • I rode my bike 5 days of the last 7
  • I rowed my Hydrow 6 days of the last 7
  • I ran 6 days of the last 7
  • I did a core workout 7 days of the last 7.
  • I sneaked 3 weight training sessions in.
  • I even finagled a yoga workout on Sunday! I have limited patience for yoga, but I do enjoy the Hydrow yoga workouts because these world class rowers struggle with yoga just like I do. Their grunts and discomfort cheer me right up.
  • Last but not least, I PR'd on my 10K distance on my run yesterday. I glanced at my pace after the first mile, was startled at how fast I was going and then decided, WTH I am going for it. I took off 19 seconds PER MILE. It was an exceptionally flat course (only 145 feet total elevation gain) but I'll take it.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 06:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Fighting a migraine all day. No workouts, just calm quiet stuff like laundry, dishes & baking cookies. Hope to be back at it tmrw.

Saturday I did the next day of Qi Gong, Caroline's HHT exercises, wk4 day2 of the 10k trainer, a segment from Pick Your Spot Pilates and Yoga for Runners post-run practice. I think that's all. I had planned to do the next day of the Crossrope challenge but I just felt tired. Yesterday I was a slug like Cheryl except I didn't even fix supper, I ran to DQ for snickerdoodle blizzards! I am curious if the sugar and lactose overload may have contributed to the migraine but really don't know. It's not like I don't have sugar binges even though they're less often than before.

I don't remember who asked about Shut Up & Train but I do like it. I appreciate Lauren's style, no fluff, get in and do it. I can't go as heavy as I'd like bc of the HHT issue but the workouts would obviously be even better if I could. The length makes them easy to add on to my main workouts.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-09-21, 04:48 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: Congrats on your HUGE PR! That’s so awesome. Great week for you!

I finally did get to run Sunday. It was cold, but I didn’t even care. We haven’t run the 4.5 mile lake loop since January, but we still did it the fastest (by a few seconds) we’ve done since we started back running it over the summer. Yay!

Yesterday I started my new plan, with Mobility Rx1 and floor lower body then :30 ride (Peloton Sam’s 90s rock) and :20 Fitness+ row. Then I took Megan to visit University of Delaware. We walked around for about an hour, but we couldn’t go into any on-campus buildings. I liked it, but I don’t know that she did. We visit some schools in the Carolinas in a few weeks.

Today was BodyPump and abs in the morning and PowerZone with Denis at lunch. I picked the wrong one for my first ride in my new output zones. He did 3 minutes in zone 5 (of 7 zones) 5 times. It was really hard, but I did it. Tomorrow is a run day, and it’ll be 70 degrees! Yay!

I had a rough day at work, and as of a few seconds ago, I now have the house to myself for 15 minutes. I think I’m going to go do some relaxing yoga.
Old 03-10-21, 12:03 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I just ran a beautiful 2.37 miles, about the same time it took last week. I’m happy with that, especially considering I spent the entire run dealing with the shorts of my brand new SkirtSports skort riding up. I’ve been wearing this brand since the beginning, and I’ve never had this problem with it. I have with other brands, but SkirtSports and what was Sparkle Skirts were both good. I’m very disappointed, because I love this brand and I love this new reflective pattern.

This morning I did Pilates and yoga. The cat kept getting in the way, which was cute but also frustrating.

I keep forgetting to share this: if you want to see my amazing friend Jean, Old Lady Gains on Instagram shared her pull-up video. Go to @oldladygains and scroll down a few rows to the Feb 26 video of skiaerialist doing pull-ups with a weight hanging off her! This is what I’m trying to keep up with on my runs and other crazy adventures!
Old 03-10-21, 04:35 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Allison, which pattern is your new SkirtSports? I confess, I'm still an ambassador but haven't bought the new stuff that came out since Sarah took over. I feel like what I have is enough of the brand, I guess. Are you using the Mobility Rx DVD? I actually have the app but have never used it! I need to try it out.

Daphne, that's an amazing PR! Do you think rowing helped? I haven't ridden in a while, I'll need to try and see how that goes.

Vantreesta, it's taken me forever to figure out exactly how to set my bike up on the trainer properly. And even then, if I haven't done it in a while, I have to fidget with it. That's why I ended up buying the bike! Still, metrics aside, as long as you can get it up so you can ride fast, slow, and do the occasional stand, I think you're good.

I'm on week 3 of the rowing bootcamps on iFit. I've added in more Hannah Eden strength work (also from iFit). She's in all kinds of exotic locations--waterfalls, castles, etc.--and does work with and without weights. Somehow all this is tougher than it looks on paper and I really do feel like it's making me fit!

Last week I ran 6 miles Thursday and hiked 6 miles Saturday. I was tired Sunday but not as much as I'd expect considering I haven't done that kind of mileage in ages. Both were with people--3 ladies running and one other lady hiking--which made a huge difference.

I do feel like my form is getting weird on the rower. I think I don't always engage my core and hamstrings enough and end up somehow feeling it in my back, just like when I run. If I'm conscious of it, i can fix it though. Still LOVE the rower! I have one more week of this bootcamp series and might do bike bootcamps (iFit and Peloton) next.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 05:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Whose brilliant idea was this RBR tri anyway??!!? Argh, the bike!! Hubby got it fixed so the brake pads aren't rubbing anymore but didn't know anything about chains. Today it seemed to shift okay even though I still don't really know what I'm doing. I was trying to get my brother's thoughts on the wheel value and bike computer but he said I should take it to the bike shop and ask them. Grr. I set it at what I interpreted as correct and the numbers looked a little better today but I still only lasted 10 minutes and it said less than 2 mi. I was irritable and think I am trying to do too much in a day. I was constantly tripping over my jump rope today and both of my Polar chest straps kept dropping my HR to 0 and not coming back unless I stopped the recording. I handwash them after every wear bc they really don't work if I don't. Just a frustrating day all around after a fantastic day yesterday.

Tue 3/9 197 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 8) MON
17 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 5) MON 1st time
10 minutes (from 10MS Pilates -Pilates for Abs) MON
10 minutes (from Mobility Flows Pre-Workout 10 Min Foam Roll, YT) 1st time
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) MON
32 minutes (from 2.67 mi for 10k trainer wk4 day3/Twins) MON outside!!
31 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 22, YT) MON 1st time
77 minutes (from 3 dog walks 4.64 mi)

Wed 3/10 0 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 9) TUE
17 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 6) TUE 1st time
10 minutes (from 10MS Pilates -Pilates for Buns & Thighs) TUE
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Hot Hips Workout for Hip Strength & Stability, YT) TUE 1st time
33 minutes (from Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope day 11/VA Alberta Badlands Bike) SAT 33 1st time
10 minutes (from 1.615 mi on bike trainer 30/Ambient Through the Rainforest -Jungle Walk/Zombies Run S3M30 repeat) TUE still don't know if wheel value is right
10 minutes (from 1.1 miles for Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember days 15 and 16/cont with Ambient & ZR from bike) TUE
12 minutes (from TurboFire Stretch 10)

Old 03-10-21, 05:46 PM  
Daphne M

Pratima - Your sore back could be just a sign of building strength for rowing, or it could be that you're not keeping your back long and so incorporating a few of the wrong muscles to do the work. If my experience is a guide (and it might not be, I'm hardly an expert) you should mostly feel it in your glutes and legs, followed closely by lats and abs.

Disclaimer here that I'm still learning, but I have come up with a few cues that have helped me to use my back correctly through the whole stroke. The biggest one: keep my chest lifted UP. This keeps me from hunching forward at the catch, when I am closest to the screen. My body wants to let my arms and shoulders pull me forward into a rounded back. Lifting my chest up helps me keep my back on a straight plane. My shoulders can still drag forward but it's more limited and, as long as my back is straight, it's okay. Also at the catch, I make sure my shins do not go past vertical to the floor. (Not vertical to the footboards, vertical to the floor.) Allowing my back to c-curve or my shins to go forward just takes away my leverage and shifts the work to the wrong muscles.

If you are able to track your output/watts in real time, you'll notice that when your body geometry is right, your watts will go up.

Some other cues related to my back: on the drive away from the screen, ideally my chest remains lifted and my back straight, my legs straighten explosively and back I go. Hands are always loose on the handle. Knees are always down before handle crosses. At the release, the handle just taps an inch or so below the bottom band of my sports bra and quickly moves right back toward the screen, without pausing.

I've also seen some tutorials don't cover very clearly is that, when you get to the release, do not lean too far back. Again, you'll lose leverage. It's a quick hip hinge back no further than the 11 o'clock position.

I keep meaning to post a few links I've found helpful and I never have the time! But next time, I swear I will.

Oh and yes I think the rowing helped my PR a lot. It's making me strong.

Gotta run. It's Norm's night to cook and he likes company. Off I go.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote