Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-13, 06:34 PM  
sherry7899

Blendtec jar leaking black liquid

I just used my Blendtec twister jar, and it leaked black liquid all over the base (ugh!). I bought it through Amazon last October. I contacted Blendtec by email to see if I had any options. I hope I'm not just out of luck. The thought of spending the money to replace the jar when it's less than a year old really stinks-they are expensive!

Has anyone successfully dealt with Blendtec's customer service in getting a replacement?

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 01:38 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sherry, see this Amazon review - scroll down slightly more than halfway, and read the review by Carey Hasegawa:

http://www.amazon.com/Blendtec-TB-62.../dp/B000GIGZXM

ugh - sorry about your problem. it doesn't sound like yours is a random issue.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 06:14 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Jeanine. I had read that review last night. My regular Blendtec jar is fine. The smaller twister jar is the one that was leaking. Another review suggested twisting the ring underneath the jar, which I did. I never put the jars in the dishwasher. I always wash them by hand. I will retry the jar this morning when I make a smoothie for breakfast. I did not want to run the Blendtec at 11:30 last night since it's loud and my DH was asleep.

If that doesn't work, I will call Blendtec today. I don't want to have to replace these jars every few years. That is very expensive to do.

Sherry

Old 06-24-13, 06:25 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Sherry,
My regular jar also leaked black liquid but was told that they are no longer under warranty when I called CS to complain. I bought another one.
Hopefully, you can get your twister jar replaced for free.
This is one of the reasons why I bought a Vitamix. Hopefully, I will not have to replace my jar any time soon.

bzar,
That's a good review. Thanks for pointing that out.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 06:29 AM  
sherry7899

Mizach, I am so sorry this happened to you also. I've had both jars for under a year, so I hope they are still covered.

A bunch of comments in the discussion section on Amazon mentioned that problem. I had read all the glowing reviews on QVC when I bought the Blendtec, so I did not look at reviews on Amazon. (sigh...)

I really like the Blendtec otherwise. It is very easy to clean and get every drop out of the container.

Which Vitamix did you buy? I was looking at those last night (though I can't buy one anytime soon). All the different models are confusing. I'd probably go with the 48 ounce one if I ever had the money, but I"m not sure.

Sherry

Old 06-24-13, 06:47 AM  
PhyllisG

I would also call QVC and explain what is happening. If they are selling this product, I am sure they would like feedback and may be able to put some pressure on Blendtec to change their policies and replace the jar.
I had a similar problem with a Kitchenaid blender and when I called they admitted it was a design flaw and had discontinued the model. They did offer me an upgrade at a greatly reduced price with free shipping.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 06:48 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Phyllis!

Sherry

Old 06-24-13, 12:35 PM  
sherry7899

I called Blendtec (and they had replied to my email and facebook posts with their customer service number) and they were very nice. The Wildside jar had leaked today as well (sigh) so they are replacing both jars since they were both still under warranty (thank goodness!).

The rep thought it was odd both jars were leaking and had me run the machine to make sure nothing was wrong with the base. She said the base sounded fine, though.

I also called QVC-the rep there said they have NOT gotten complaints. It's odd that the complaints are on Amazon, but not on QVC's reviews.

Sherry

Old 06-24-13, 01:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for your update.

what IS that black ooze? has anyone found any answers as to what it is? is it toxic?

one of the amazon reviewers was worried it had already been getting into whatever he was blending prior to actually SEEING the black stuff .

i don't own a blendtec or vitamix, just a basic blender and a bullet knock off (sunbeam).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 02:26 PM  
sherry7899

I don't know what it was. I think it might be the seal of the jar breaking down.
I caught it happening right away, so hopefully we did not ingest any of it!

Sherry

Tags
blender, blenders, blendtec