Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-10, 08:21 AM  
woodie

I've been too lax - need to drop some weight

I ave been too relaxed recently - eating loads of pasta, working out part way, missing workouts, and ignoring the scale. I had decided I would do 30 day shred today because I thoght Iwas getting a little more tummy than I wanted until I looked at the scale. I gained 20 pouds slowly! My inches are off all that much from before and my clothes still fit (a little tighter but not majorly) so I was thrown off. I do not like this weight. I know I am not a scale advocate but I need to keep it less than this.

Any suggestions for dropping 20 pounds in 6 weeks? I was going with cardio 4 times a week and circuits 2, 1 day rest. For cardio I was thinking Amy Bento step, Powerstrike, taebo. Circuits - probably just Cathe, maybe some Insanity.

Any thoughts?

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:00 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Woodie, many people have found that adding a lot of intensity isn't the best way to drop immediate pounds. I'd opt for carefully curtailing your calories and adding more steady state cardio, but not to the point where your appetite increases.

Good luck!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:27 AM  
kathylcsw

I am not sure that dropping 20 pounds in 6 weeks is a realistic goal. Healthy weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. If you lose more than that you lose tone.
Old 01-25-10, 09:37 AM  
FitForever

I could have written your post, Woodie! I've gained 15# since the summer even though I was exercising almost every day. My biggest problem was my food intake (and too many cocktails ) - they were, waaaaaaay over & beyond what they should be.

I was so disgusted with myself after the holidays. Nothing was fitting right, I was tired, feeling depressed & my face broke out like I was a teenager. I stepped on the scale & I was the heaviest I've ever been not being pregnant. I decided it was time to get a hold of myself before things got really out of hand.

I joined Weight Watchers right after the 1st of the year, and clean eating has helped me lose 9# so far!!!!! That just goes to tell you how bad my eating was. I've continued to be consistent with my workouts. I'm doing mainly Jillian, Leslie & Ellen right now. I'm going to incorporate pilates & barre a few times a week as well. I'm not following any certain rotation, but just doing what feels right. Clean eating + exercise = a happy me!
This recipe will probably work for you as well. Good Luck!!
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:37 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Why don't you just do 30 Day Shred or a Jillian rotation?

I, too, think 1/2 to 2 lbs is the max that you can realistically lose. Anything more is just water. Frustrating.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:41 AM  
Shadowpup

Check out www.sparkpeople.com It's free, and has all kinds of tools to help with healthy weight loss (which, for most of us, will be half a pound to two pounds a week).
Shadowpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:46 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Throw in a me too

I never lost last years winter weight. I'm 10 pounds above my acceptable weight. Never made it to my desired weight which is like 18 pounds away.

I'm tempted to blame perimenopause, being that I'm now 4 years away from where my mom was when she hit menopause, but truthfully all the starbursts and twizzlers and other garbage I've let myself eat along with all the times i chose not to workout are to blame.

I'm 141 pounds. I want to be 125. I belong to two gyms (I got a great deal on the second one) and I have access to Les Mills Body Combat (at this other gym) and a great boxing class (at the more expensive gym that's closer ot my house)

My kids are 11 and 8 and very accomodating for my working out, so really I have NO excuse for this crap.

I'm not really beating myself up, because with age is coming self-accetance which is really awesome! On the other hand, I want things to fit better and I want that lean awesome fit buff body (that a middle aged woman with 2 kids can have. I recognize that there are some things like stretchmarks etc that are with me for life)

I was going VERY strong until last week when PMDD reared up as well as prepping for a 'scotch and cheese' party we decided to throw. It threw my daily workout habit out and it's been a big zero on getting it back. Also I lent a friend 30 day shred because she heard me raving about it and wanted to try.

TOday is the day and shred is always my workout of choice for jumping back on. In fact, I was trying to do a 30 day shred for 30 days. I bought myself a new copy (8 bucks) I will do it tonight.

This post is timely and I wanted to just say 'me too' and 'thanks for posting it'
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:48 AM  
trishthedish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Woodie, many people have found that adding a lot of intensity isn't the best way to drop immediate pounds. I'd opt for carefully curtailing your calories and adding more steady state cardio, but not to the point where your appetite increases.

Good luck!
I agree with this - i've been doing the Jillian rotation for the last 20-some days and i've only lost 5 pounds. I think I could have done that with just steady state treadmill workouts and my barre workouts. With doing Jillian 6 days a week, I was STARVING. I didnt overeat b/c of it, but it was definitely not fun. The past few days i've been doing treadmill and barre and I feel a lot better.
Old 01-25-10, 10:35 AM  
daisysunshine

Well - woodie. I think if you really work hard you can lose more than 2 a week (I think, some weeks will be more than 2, some might be around 2 to 1/2 lb). I think as everyone has said, if you work out more intensely - you can end up being more hungry. The first three weeks I started my rotation, some days I was starving (But I liked it because A: I knew what hungury was, so i can eat accordingly, and B: I felt that I worked hard.)

I think if you do ANYTHING and make sure you watch your calories, you can lose a few pounds. if you want it to be 20 You really have to work hard (see: do a Jillian or something hard (ie: insanity) and deal with the hunger pains (though, i find extra fibre works for that). Right now I am doing Kettlebells, Squeeze Stronger, Barre and Steady State Cardio every week. and I find that's working really well for me.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 10:44 AM  
Buzzer

I think I'm you and fitforever & leesa.

I also gained 15 lbs, clothes fit still (a bit snug, but I ignored it) and had stopped working out, and ate not completely crappy, but I thought I was doing good (although I wasn't!)
After I stepped on the scale and saw the weight, suddenly I started really seeing my body! I lost all my beautiful muscle... I had cellulite! (that I denied by donating my clothing that showed it).
I tried steady state cardio for 6 months, but my body doesn't do much with that. I've cleaned up my eating, I use "Lose it!" on my iphone, and now I'm adding muscle (which is what my body DOES respond to!) and doing intensity exercise as well as steady state. I think intensity has it's place, I had my best body and weight when I taught 2 spinning classes a week (intensity), lifted heavy 3 times a week, and taught 4 seniors aerobics classes.
I think it's the OVERdoing intensity that's counterproductive.
I'm working on adding muscle as my main goal, and then losing the flub over it. It's going slow, but it's gonna happen!!

So, my response to you... gain muscle. It isn't bulky, and it's active!! And looks good...
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat loss, nutrition, weight loss