Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-20, 05:26 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Fans Are Making Me Cough

I workout in the basement and we have central air but I still need 2 fans blowing on me or else I'm just a sweaty, disgusting, gross mess and feel overheated.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that I cough a lot while working out and I believe it's from the air blowing directly at me. I turned one fan off that was pointed right toward my face and that helped some. Also have noticed when doing lying ab work, bridges, etc I begin coughing as well. Maybe my sinuses are messed up? Just another aspect of getting older? Whatever it is - UGH!! Anyone else with this issue?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 06:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I wonder if the fan blades are blowing dust particles at you. They are hard to clean as you might have to take the fan apart. Maybe run them when you're not around for a bit to get rid of most of the dust.
Old 07-06-20, 06:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when i notice my family coughing or sneezing a lot and no cold or flu is present, it usually means an irritant is in the air. DH bought 2 air purifiers - they help.

i would check that the air purifiers and AC filters are clean - vacuum and if you can, wash them. unplug the fans and vacuum them, and if possible, clean them with a disinfecting wipe or paper towel with disinfectant. the fan blades of ceiling fans accumulate a lot of dust that gets flung around.

i would also vacuum and dust the rest of the room a few times - consider wearing a mask when cleaning too. inspect vents to make sure they're clean also.

essentially, it's a deep-dive clean, especially in a basement that might lack enough ventilation. hopefully, this will clear up dust, ordinary household mold, and anything else that might have been hidden. you may need to repeat once more in a week or so.

monitor your health too - you may need to let your doc know if it persists after all of the above has been done. let us know how it goes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 06:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Might help to have your ducts cleaned.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 07:56 PM  
violingal3

My MIL has been coming over and spending 1 or 2 nights to help with our toddler/practice babysitting runs as we are expecting baby #2 in a few weeks and counting on her to watch her. Anyway, we are accommodating to her hot flashes and crank the AC and turn on ceiling fans for her. I get a sore throat and my sinuses are messed up from all the cold, dry air blowing in our house 24/7. It takes me a few days to feel back to normal after she leaves.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 07:21 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Might help to have your ducts cleaned.
I've been thinking we need to do that just because. We've lived in the same house since 1997 and have never had it done.

Thanks Jane P and bzar for the cleaning suggestions. I will definitely do it.
Old 07-07-20, 11:39 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I've been thinking we need to do that just because. We've lived in the same house since 1997 and have never had it done.

Thanks Jane P and bzar for the cleaning suggestions. I will definitely do it.
the thought of cleaning makes it sound like another workout - but yeah, i'd start with the ducts (not that it's an easy task!) and if not, the lower hanging fruit like fan blades. take care.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 03:17 PM  
unfetteredpast

I have to confess that when I read the thread title, I pictured you on stage with a crowd cheering and applauding, and it made you cough
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 07:11 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

LOL!! I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever be on a stage in front of anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
I have to confess that when I read the thread title, I pictured you on stage with a crowd cheering and applauding, and it made you cough
Old 07-08-20, 07:45 PM  
videofit

Mold and/or dust. I have a large ceiling fan and I always forget to vacuum it because it's so high up. But when I start sneezing, I know it's time to vacuum. You'd think all that spinning would make it impossible for dust to stick.

The moving air could also be drying out your mucus membranes.

Tags
cough, coughing