Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-24, 04:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I got a little too aggressive this week with trying to "improve" my skin and I'm taking a few days off to let things settle and then remind myself to go slow!
Donna, I've done this at times! I think when I got the Cerave I had that kind of reaction. I use it almost every day now, but I built up to it, use it with a light moisturizer, and take breaks to have moisturizer only nights.

I have adapalene (Differin), but I haven't been using it. It seems to make me break out, but maybe it's one of those products that I've tried to use too much of too quickly.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-24, 04:23 PM  
rhbrand

You might just be purging a bit from the Differin gel. You tend to purge out things for 2-3 weeks before you really see a good improvement.
Old 02-11-24, 07:21 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Sherry- Thanks for the recs for eye creams. I haven't been a fan of the No. 7 products I've tried and I've never tried ROC. I think I might try an eye cream with peptides to use during the day. I have heard many great things about Paula's Choice, but I've never tried their products. I do wear my sunscreen and I've tested MANY of them. Right now I'm using a Pacifica Vitamin C serum with 55 SPF sunscreen which I like, but I think it is being discontinued.

Tretinoin is by prescription only, right? And I do wear glasses and bought a new pair this past fall. However, they are a larger frame than I usually wear and don't seem to disguise my eye wrinkles very well.

Carol- I've heard many say retinol irritates their skin. Luckily I don't seem to have any issues with it. Have you tried Bakuchiol?
I don't normally use eye creams, but on a whim put the Cetaphil peptide products on my Amazon wish list, and my dh actually bought them for me for Christmas, lol. I'm glad he did, I'm enjoying them, even if I don't really need them. Sometimes skincare is just a pampering thing for me.

I'm allergic to fragrance, so can't use No. 7 or Pacifica, or "natural" products. Essential oils sting my skin like fire. I like Cetaphil moisturizers, and normally use the Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer on my face and undereyes. However, since you were asking about under eyes and wrinkles, the only topical products that I know of to reduce that would be peptides or retinol. The Cetaphil eye cream has peptides and doesn't irritate my under eyes. However, it's $25 for a small tube, but on the other hand it lasts a long time, as you don't need much. From what I understand, it takes awhile to see results from peptides.

Yes, tretinoin (Retin A) is normally by prescription. You can buy adapalene (Differin) OTC, and it's also a retinoid, but more gentle. It was developed as an acne treatment, and there isn't as much evidence for anti-aging as tretinoin, but there are some preliminary studies that show it might also work. I buy my tretinoin without a prescription from a pharmacy in India. I believe it's the real stuff, and have been using it for years. But some people aren't comfortable with that. People tell me I look younger than my age, so I'm pretty sure it works. Although, it doesn't stop the sagging, unfortunately. If you want to use it, you need to build up to it slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think this is OTC? It looks like it's synonymous with Retin-A:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...n/drg-20066521

Was it Paula who said that you don't really need a separate eye cream? I recall some beauty expert saying that this was just a racket to sell more products.

I had to switch to a new product when they stopped making the Alpha Hydrox that I'd used for years. After quite a bit of research, I settled on this CeraVe product:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098RBCQ4Z/

I can't say the results are dramatic, but I do use it under my eyes without irritation, and it seems overall beneficial for my skin.

This product was in 2nd place in my research:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVMFM5C
No, tretinoin requires a prescription. Retin A is the brand name for tretinoin, like Differin is for adapalene. And yes, eye cream is probably a racket, and a face moisturizer will work too.

I've been using the Naturium AHA, I bought it from Target. It works well, although I prefer the Paula's Choice. Although, it might all be in my head, lol. Sometimes I wonder if skincare is really doing something or if I just think it is!

https://www.target.com/p/naturium-gl...z/-/A-80184038

Quote:
One way to tolerate retinol or adapalene (Differin) or any retinoid better is to put it on over your moisturizer and then put more moisturizer on top of it. Also, you don't need to use it every day - you can use it as "tolerated" - so once a week to a few times a week.

Donna
I sometimes put on moisturizer first before my tretinoin. It does reduce the irritation. I use my tretinoin three times a week, and the .005% strength.

Quote:
Donna, I've done this at times! I think when I got the Cerave I had that kind of reaction. I use it almost every day now, but I built up to it, use it with a light moisturizer, and take breaks to have moisturizer only nights.

I have adapalene (Differin), but I haven't been using it. It seems to make me break out, but maybe it's one of those products that I've tried to use too much of too quickly.
As Rhonda said, maybe it's purging? It's supposed to clear up acne, although it's not as strong as tretinoin. I think the recommendation for retinoids is to use it once a week for a month, then twice a week for a month, and so on. That's how I started tretinoin.
Old 02-11-24, 09:14 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I've been using the Naturium AHA, I bought it from Target. It works well, although I prefer the Paula's Choice. Although, it might all be in my head, lol. Sometimes I wonder if skincare is really doing something or if I just think it is!

https://www.target.com/p/naturium-gl...z/-/A-80184038
I've mentioned this before on VF in a thread about exfoliation but the product you linked to is what I put on every night after I use Olay Gentle Foaming cleanser--Naturium's glycolic acid resurfacing gel. One bottle of the Naturium lasts me about 6 months using it every night. Then I apply a little bit of Neutrogena Hydro Boost cream on top. I find buying the Hydro Boost in store (when on sale) at Costco to be very economical btw.

I'm in early 40s so mainly just forehead wrinkles which I could care less about. I'm just trying to keep my skin clear, hydrated, and not irritated (I have pale, sensitive skin prone to breakouts).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-24, 10:24 PM  
Leonana

adawn, I like the Naturium pretty well, it’s a good product. I use it twice a week at night, when I’m not using tretinoin. It does last a long time, and it’s affordable. I need to try the Hydroboost cream, I know Dr Dray recommends it highly.

I also use the Olay cleanser, I hope they don’t discontinue it! Fortunately, I’m still finding it in my Walmart and Target. It doesn’t dry my skin or break me out, but takes off the makeup. I haven’t tried anything else that works better.
Old 02-12-24, 01:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm glad that someone recommended Pond's to me last summer, because that's what I've been using and it's been working great! I just finished my first jar. I do use a tiny bit of cleanser after (right now it's Clean N Clear brand) to get rid of the somewhat greasy film, but that's it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-12-24, 05:10 PM  
Leonana

Beth, that’s great it works so well for you. And it’s probably more affordable too.
Old 02-12-24, 05:19 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
I'm glad that someone recommended Pond's to me last summer, because that's what I've been using and it's been working great! I just finished my first jar. I do use a tiny bit of cleanser after (right now it's Clean N Clear brand) to get rid of the somewhat greasy film, but that's it.
Beth - are you using it as a double cleanse - so first round to take off make-up etc. and then second cleanse to rinse everything off? That is what it sounds like but wanted to confirm!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-24, 06:04 PM  
wendug

Okay I have to post this since we've been posting about skincare and Cerave came up. I love Michael Cera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrUDqYfRUM
Old 02-12-24, 09:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Beth - are you using it as a double cleanse - so first round to take off make-up etc. and then second cleanse to rinse everything off? That is what it sounds like but wanted to confirm!
Donna, yes, although the second cleanse is minimal - more of a rinse with just a bit of facial wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Okay I have to post this since we've been posting about skincare and Cerave came up. I love Michael Cera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrUDqYfRUM
Saw that last night - thought it was especially funny given that I was just talking about using Cerave!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
2024 beauty, 2024 beauty thread, beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2024, off topic, off-topic