Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-09, 08:39 PM  
LauraBella

I really do like the "feel" of the actual wood barre, too. It's one of the reasons I am glad I have the barre I have.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 07:55 AM  
sundari

My barre looks just like this one at Amazon:

"Free Standing Ballet Bars with Poplar Rail"

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Standing-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2
Old 09-16-09, 09:11 AM  
fancye9876

I just got a fluidity bar from craigs list. Just could not resist trying this after reading about all the workouts here. I am 5'10" and the bar is almost to low for me at the highest setting. I think I read it should be about 2" below your hip bone and at the highest setting it just barely is for me. It is very solid and I like the wood bar. I did the beginner workout and was sweating like crazy doing the lower body moves. Could not do the setting flat back lift your feet off the floor move but am determined to be able to do that before I move on. I was thinking it was not that much of a workout because I did not feel anything until the next afternoon and evening. Then the soreness kicked in and I can really feel it in my hamstrings, glute and hip area. I think I am hooked and now want more workouts and haven't even looked at the intermediate and advanced dvds that came with it. I am trying to be good though and not order anything else until I at least try all of these. Hmmmm P57 keeps popping up in my mind.

Susan
fancye9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:22 AM  
amazondotmom

Fancy,

I raised my settings on the Fluidity bar and I believe you can raise it past that 13 mark, which is 39 inches in height. I referred to the manual and I think this is ok. I sent an email to Fluidity to double check this too. I was just raising it to the 11 mark prior to today, and moving it past the 13 mark makes it a bit higher. I'm 5'11 so I think this should work for you if you haven't tried this. I can't do the flat ab work either-it is so humbling! I too would love those P57 DVDs but I think I'll wait until I get the basics down.
amazondotmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:27 AM  
shicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancye9876 View Post
I just got a fluidity bar from craigs list. Just could not resist trying this after reading about all the workouts here. I am 5'10" and the bar is almost to low for me at the highest setting. I think I read it should be about 2" below your hip bone and at the highest setting it just barely is for me. It is very solid and I like the wood bar. I did the beginner workout and was sweating like crazy doing the lower body moves. Could not do the setting flat back lift your feet off the floor move but am determined to be able to do that before I move on. I was thinking it was not that much of a workout because I did not feel anything until the next afternoon and evening. Then the soreness kicked in and I can really feel it in my hamstrings, glute and hip area. I think I am hooked and now want more workouts and haven't even looked at the intermediate and advanced dvds that came with it. I am trying to be good though and not order anything else until I at least try all of these. Hmmmm P57 keeps popping up in my mind.

Susan

I am 5'10 and I sold my fluidity because it was too low for me, it made it very hard to get in the right position I for instance could not place my feet as they did in the video I had to stand back further and with the ski type moves the bar wanted to topple, I sold my bar on craigslist for 100.00 but that was 2 years ago. I want to add that I always used it at the last mark, had too and it never fell but I just could not do a few of the moves no matter what I tried and it was not lack of strength just strange positioning with the height of the bar.
sherry
shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:28 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I am thinking that the CardioBarre might be the way to go. It seems light weight and portable. The Fluidity bar looks big and heavy. I would not want to leave that set up all the time in my w/o space which also happens to be our office. Right now I guess I am sticking with the chair.
I have a stand-alone bar - I like it for certain things, but its not stable. Alot of the stuff in the Lotte Berk system can't be done on it. That's Fluidity's big advantage. The other way to go is a wall mounted bar.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:34 AM  
shicks

I do think the wall mounted bar is the best way to go as well, although the only video I cannot complete with my cardio barre is advanced fluidity, the pullups and the ski moves. I do love my cardio barre but would like a wall mount for flatback.
Sherry
shicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:36 AM  
fancye9876

I will check mine again today on the height. I thought it just went to 12 but if I can set it past that and it holds that would be great. I haven't tried the ski moves yet, are they on the beginner dvd? I do know that being tall I can't do the cobra move where you reach up and grab the bar. The bar is just to high and it would break my back. I think some of these people on the video must have long arms and short legs. Maybe with time I will get flexible enough to do it. I am almost off the mat when I stand with one leg on the bar and I am off the mat with one foot when doing the lunge stretch.

Susan
fancye9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 11:57 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicks View Post
I do think the wall mounted bar is the best way to go as well, although the only video I cannot complete with my cardio barre is advanced fluidity, the pullups and the ski moves. I do love my cardio barre but would like a wall mount for flatback.
Sherry
You can't do pull-ups on a cardio barre? Isn't that really just a stand alone barre? That's what I want (I think I may get one from Santa this year He's so good to me ) but I want to be able to do pull-ups with it
Old 09-16-09, 12:19 PM  
laurajhawk

You need a barre with serious stability to do pull-ups. Fluidity has heft and those long feet and doesn't shift while you're doing them. A barre with less weight or a smaller less stable base could wobble or tip.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre