Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-19, 11:25 AM  
alisoncooks

RehabZone program - review

We are all so different, I almost hate to rave about this program, lol. But I'd been feeling a bit broken lately, with some joint issues and such, and this set has been just what I needed.

I've been using the RehabZone DVDs approx. 1 month. I purchased from Amazon and it was a leap of faith because there were minimal reviews (only 1-person on VF ever seemed to ever mention the program), and it was not cheap! I think it was $60 for the 3-DVD Core/Back Pain set. (I also bought the $20 knee/hip set.)

It's a progressive 12 week program (each DVD is a "Phase" that has 4 workouts ("Levels"). They instruct you to use each level for a week (3x) before moving on. The purpose is back pain relief, but I find it to be a well-rounded quick workout (each are 20-25 min). I've been tagging them on to yoga or adding short weights segments after.

I'm only on phase 1 and they are easy...but I think they'd make great warmups once "outgrown." Just an example: today's workout warmed up with knee lifts/side steps/unweighted deadlifts/torso twists/calf raises. The strength portion included: crunches, balances, fire hydrant, super man, cobra, bridge, etc. Stretch includes cobbler, hip flexors, hamstrings, more. I'm forgetting some but you get the idea. The latter phases include weights and more upper body work (I've previewed them all) but this phase is unweighted. They all focus on core and back strength but also supporting muscles.

Thoughts: they are very low frills, basic workouts. Maybe boring? It's just the instructor and a demonstrator in a plain space. Instrumental music. Not the super-best cueing (particularly counting reps) and he doesn't mirror cue (pity!) He also has a strong southern accent (think Matthew McConaughey) - we do "tarso" twists.

Some of the complaints on Amazon say that you go from floor to standing repeatedly. It's true...but he says it's intentional. It's a little annoying but I've already found I'm quicker at it than before.

I can't say who'd like this program but I think it'd be nice for those just getting back into fitness. It's very calm and encouraging (and no dread for me right now). Similar in intensity to Jane Adams gentle stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there in case anyone looks for info. I'd be glad to answer questions about the program. I'm not working for them, lol, just happy that I stumbled upon this.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-19, 11:36 AM  
alisoncooks

Here's the equipment needed:
A mat
A strap or towel to stretch
A chair (for sitting and to balance against)
Dumbbells for later levels
Old 10-21-19, 12:49 PM  
Pam

Thanks Alisoncooks! I just ordered their knee DVD. It seems I need something that processes slowly to strengthen my knee lately or it swells. So, this sounded great!
Old 10-21-19, 01:39 PM  
donnadc

I've had the core dvd (that's $20) on my amaxon wishlist for awhile. I wonder how it compares to the 3 dvd set? Thanks for the review
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-19, 02:14 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadc View Post
I've had the core dvd (that's $20) on my amaxon wishlist for awhile. I wonder how it compares to the 3 dvd set? Thanks for the review
That one sounds more advanced? It says "Advanced core strengthening and sports performance."
Old 10-21-19, 02:22 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Thanks Alisoncooks! I just ordered their knee DVD. It seems I need something that processes slowly to strengthen my knee lately or it swells. So, this sounded great!
Hi Pam. I will just say, don't judge this one from the first level/workout, lol. I almost returned it after doing workout #1. Then I decided to skip it and move on to #2 and I liked that much better.

The format for Knee/Hip is different from Core/Back. There's a warmup, followed by 2 rounds, then cool down. Each round works one leg all the way through, then repeats for side 2. Still no mirror cueing so decide beforehand if you're going to follow the verbal or visual! I had a few times of forgetting which side I'd worked or mixing it all up...until I finally just ignored the man onscreen and followed the verbal cues.

I hope you find it useful. I don't know that I *need* this one right now, but having had a knee surgery in the past, I'll hold on to it (right now I'm using it 1x a week).
Old 10-21-19, 02:50 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for posting this! I've had them in my cart and wondered about them for a while now. I'm considering the knee/hip and core, which are both $20 each. Sounds pricey but I've been thinking maybe they'd save me from a bunch of physical therapy visits.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-19, 03:55 PM  
alisoncooks

Well, I'd love to hear about the Core DVD if anyone caves. I'm curious how different or more challenging it is from the Core/Back program. Maybe I'll get it once I "graduate" from the 12 weeks...

Tags
rehabilitation, rehabzone