Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-12, 02:04 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Horiz Cond Bootcamp

Here's the review I plan to post (once the title gets approved):

ABOUT ME: Advanced exerciser. Generally use Cathe, Insanity, Asylum, P90X, run, tennis, TRX. I love to be challenged. I really like body weight exercises, pushups, pullups, plank work. I'm bored of weight workouts.

ABOUT THE WORKOUT: (Note - this is my first time trying a Horizontal Conditioning workout). This workout does cycles of body weight strength (plank) training intermixed with high impact cardio drills. The focus is on strength (mostly upper body) and core work. The cardio keeps your heart rate up (and gives your upper body a much needed rest) but I wouldn't call this a cardio workout (the way a step workout is a cardio workout). Out of the 67 minutes, I spent 15 in my zone. Admittedly, as I get stronger, I think my time in my target HR zone will increase. The workout is mostly push ups and planks. Most of the exercises use gliding disks and the step. I highly recommend a yoga mat to put on top of your step (I don't have one, but I'm going to get one for this workout).

MY IMPRESSIONS OF THE WORKOUT: OMG! This workout KICKED MY A$$ ! It is an ADVANCED workout. It's for the exerciser that likes planks, likes pushups, likes to be sweating. I started with this one because everyone said it was one of the hardest HC workouts. I am humbled. I would say I did about 3/4 of the reps she does (maybe even less). If you can't do push ups, I don't think this workout is for you. There is so much upper body challenge to this. Many of the moves are new to me. It's unlike anything else out there. I think it is very similar to the workout you get using a suspension trainer. Very core and upperbody focused. I am excited to start doing these regularly and see my improvement. There's lots of room for improvement !!!

MY IMPRESSIONS OF THE DVD QUALITY: The visual quality of the DVD is not as crisp as a Cathe DVD (or other professionally produced workout). Sandra appears a little blurred on my screen. The music is fine and the sound volume and quality is fine (I'm not picky about this, however). The quality is just fine for doing the workout. It is not at all distracting that she is a tad blurred. Really, you aren't looking at her most of the time. Your head is in a neutral position while you do the workout. But, I thought I would mention it because some people are picky about this.

MY IMPRESSIONS OF THE INSTRUCTOR: Sandra is awesome. She is very even tempered and pleasant. There's no yelling and really not a ton of encouraging. She just tells you what to do and then she miraculously does it. ALL OF IT, e v e r y freaking rep (darn her). It's all very matter of fact. There's a smile on her face and it's genuine. Cueing is fine and explanations of moves are good (though on the first time through I did watch her demo and then rewind to join in). Everything was very easy to follow (but not necessarily to do ). I liked her backgrounders but I wasn't watching the screen a ton. My head was in a neutral position as she kept instructing me to do.

OVERALL : This one is a winner. I've already bought volume 4 (but haven't done it yet). I'm planning to get 1-3 this week. I would think that I will eventually buy all of her hard core and 101 workouts. I may wait until I get a few weeks in to using the volume 1-4 and bootcamp. I am very excited about using these regularly and getting stronger.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:26 PM  
momof10

Sancho - Woo Hoo!!!! I knew when you asked about it, these would be workouts for you. There isn't anything out there that I have ever seen on DVDs. It's the type of program I have been waiting for and looking for, for many years. It's really even hard to describe the moves she does, isn't it? Wait until you do Volume 4, you will be hooked. These workouts are so addicting to me. That's probably why Sandra has a warning on the back of the DVD cases for the 101 and Hardcores. The warning says Always do workouts on non-consecutive days to avoid over use injuries and to allow your body to get stronger. These workouts give awesome results. There's no way they can't deliver, especially to advanced exercisers like us. It's just the challenge my body needs.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:31 PM  
acescholar

I agree with everything you wrote Lauren! I have only done this workout a few times (just did it yesterday), and it kicks my butt (and lats) each time. I am finding that some of the moves get easier (not the side ways gliding lol). My only complaint is that Sandra and I have a different understanding of "almost there"! I would do this workout more often but so many of my workouts are wrist intensive, and I have to watch aggravating an old injury. But, Cheryl has me wanting Vol. 4, and that's next on my list!!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 02:38 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acescholar View Post
My only complaint is that Sandra and I have a different understanding of "almost there"! !
Ha ha! I haven't done these HC DVDs but I am following the threads - but I am just jumping in to say I think this is really funny. I love it when Mike Donavanike says "almost there!! . . well . . not really, but keep pushing!" I often verbally respond to videos when they say almost there and are no where near the end: "no, we are not almost there - you have to be at least half way before you can be almost there"
Old 06-16-12, 06:29 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

BC is definitely a winner. BC was among the first few DVDs I tried and made me buy her whole last year Club series. I did February -- I think -- today, with only a step and a pair of gliders and I had a wonderful workout.
Combining HCs w/ Steve Cotter's Extreme Strength and some running I found the best formula for me.
I'm now officially a "horizontalist".

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:57 PM  
Tiny

Sancho, fabulous review of HC Bootcamp! Thank you! I just ordered volumes 1-3 and will work my way up to BC.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:31 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
BC is definitely a winner. BC was among the first few DVDs I tried and made me buy her whole last year Club series. I did February -- I think -- today, with only a step and a pair of gliders and I had a wonderful workout.
Combining HCs w/ Steve Cotter's Extreme Strength and some running I found the best formula for me.
Oh my gosh, I love it. I am now officially a "horizontalist". Can I use that for my signature line? Is the Steve Cotter's Extreme Strength his 12 week program that just came out a couple of months ago. I was debating on getting this one, too. I have almost all of Steve's KB DVDs.

Cheryl
Old 06-16-12, 07:39 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Oh my gosh, I love it. I am now officially a "horizontalist". Can I use that for my signature line? Is the Steve Cotter's Extreme Strength his 12 week program that just came out a couple of months ago. I was debating on getting this one, too. I have almost all of Steve's KB DVDs.

Cheryl
Yes! I love the series, this is my second time around with it. I'm in the process to get ready for a CKT Level 2, 2 day certification in August, with STEVE COTTER HIMSELF : in NJ where I live. So I use the program now again --with slight changes this time -- to get ready for the course.
Honestly, HC and kettlebells are so compatible, it is a match made in fitness heaven.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 07:45 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Yes! I love the series, this is my second time around with it. I'm in the process to get ready for a CKT Level 2, 2 day certification in August, with STEVE COTTER HIMSELF : in NJ where I live. So I use the program now again --with slight changes this time -- to get ready for the course.
Honestly, HC and kettlebells are so compatible, it is a match made in fitness heaven.
Hmmmm!!! Of all my KB workouts, I do love Steve the most. I have both of his Encyclopedias, his Bodyweight workout and his Pistol workout. He is the most informative that I can actually watch and get what he is saying. Good luck on your CKT Level 2, 2 day certification. I might have to purchase these.

Cheryl
Old 06-16-12, 07:49 PM  
Missiscipi

Quote:
I was debating on starting this Monday. I love my HC and won't EVER give that up. And i love boxing but I really wanted to do Steve's series especially since I bought a pullup/tricep dip tower and a second 35lb kb. 3 months is a long time though.....
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootcamp, horizontal conditioning