Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-23, 08:08 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jessica's hip hinge position

Guessing that everyone knows this but me - but why does Jessica Smith use so many hip hinge positions in her weight workouts? I'm assuming it's somewhat like a compound move in that it strengthens your low back in addition to whatever other body part is lifting the weight, but it hurts my back. Probably because my back needs to be stronger.

Thoughts?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-23, 08:32 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Guessing that everyone knows this but me - but why does Jessica Smith use so many hip hinge positions in her weight workouts? I'm assuming it's somewhat like a compound move in that it strengthens your low back in addition to whatever other body part is lifting the weight, but it hurts my back. Probably because my back needs to be stronger.

Thoughts?

Carol
Following. This is the reason I rarely.do her strength workouts.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-23, 08:48 PM  
alisoncooks

Add me to the club. She also twists a lot. I’m convinced she has a back of steel.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-23, 10:26 PM  
Floren

Sorry that these moves hurt your back. I’m curious, do you mean hinging during single leg moves like lunge, or positions like for bent over rows? Or other?

I’ve heard people here say that they didn't like bent over exercises and I always wondered which moves they meant.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-23, 12:10 AM  
Leonana

I wasn’t sure what you meant by a hip hinge, so I searched on you tube. It looks like the position Jessica used for tricep kickbacks? I didn’t have the impression that she does a lot of hip hinges, but she does incorporate a lot of squats and single leg lunges. I guess hip hinges are also part of squats and lunges.

It must be important, there are a lot of videos teaching proper form. On one video, the instructor said hip hinges were important to get your glutes and the hamstrings loaded during movements like squats and deadlifts, especially with things like jumping. Another video said it’s a functional move, in order to bend over and pick up things with the right form. If you don’t hinge properly, you can injure your back. The hip flexors and the glutes are not using their full range of motion and this can cause problems. Another video says it strengthens the glutes.

Apparently, to reduce back pain you need to have proper form while doing the hinge. However, crunches always give me back pain and I’ve spent a lot of time trying to fix my form. I finally decided my back just doesn’t like crunches and skip them.
Old 07-19-23, 02:25 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Following. This is the reason I rarely.do her strength workouts.
Same. I need to tell myself to do them less often. I don't enjoy them one bit.
Old 07-19-23, 05:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Sorry that these moves hurt your back. I’m curious, do you mean hinging during single leg moves like lunge, or positions like for bent over rows? Or other?

I’ve heard people here say that they didn't like bent over exercises and I always wondered which moves they meant.
I am talking about the forward leaning positions that Jessica uses in so many of her videos. In this video, at the 11:24 mark, for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHd...jessicasmithtv.

And she will string several moves like this together, with very little time standing fully upright.

Carol
Old 07-19-23, 06:00 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Same. I need to tell myself to do them less often. I don't enjoy them one bit.
I don't enjoy her strength work much either for this very reason, but I do enjoy her.

Carol
Old 07-19-23, 06:03 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I wasn’t sure what you meant by a hip hinge, so I searched on you tube. It looks like the position Jessica used for tricep kickbacks? I didn’t have the impression that she does a lot of hip hinges, but she does incorporate a lot of squats and single leg lunges. I guess hip hinges are also part of squats and lunges.

It must be important, there are a lot of videos teaching proper form. On one video, the instructor said hip hinges were important to get your glutes and the hamstrings loaded during movements like squats and deadlifts, especially with things like jumping. Another video said it’s a functional move, in order to bend over and pick up things with the right form. If you don’t hinge properly, you can injure your back. The hip flexors and the glutes are not using their full range of motion and this can cause problems. Another video says it strengthens the glutes.

Apparently, to reduce back pain you need to have proper form while doing the hinge. However, crunches always give me back pain and I’ve spent a lot of time trying to fix my form. I finally decided my back just doesn’t like crunches and skip them.
I did her Total Body Tempo Mix workout yesterday, and it felt like half of the workout (or more) was done in that forward leaning position. I'm sure there's a good reason, I just wish she didn't do it so much in her newer videos.

Carol
Old 07-19-23, 07:01 AM  
donnamp

It is not a favorite move of mine, either. I did one of the Build workouts yesterday - I think it was chest and back, and it felt like an eternity in a bent over row position. I am getting better at coming up, taking breaks or modifying when I feel it is too much. But for some exercises, it just doesn't seem like there is a good mod/option. For instance, for rows, you can do them seated, or just lean over less. But some of the lower body stuff, it is hard to find a substitute - so maybe just do fewer reps or take breaks when you feel it is getting to be too much. Or maybe try doing them in an more upright position or do some floorwork options instead - like maybe bridges or something?

But it does sometimes get to the point where you feel you are modifying more than following the workout - so maybe there are some workouts you just skip entirely.

Also something to keep in mind w/ video workouts - we don't know when the instructor is taking a break - we don't know if she is filming these all in one take - so she may very well be taking breaks too. Although w/ Jessica I feel she would tell you - and she often does - to make it work for you.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip hinge, jessica smith