Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-24, 07:11 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Wish - How are you liking STRENGTHEN? I'm almost ready to start it.

Donna - I forgot to reply to your question. Yes, I had warm-for-March days (in the 60s and sunny). My second/last night was chilly, but I have a good sleeping bag. I actually enjoy sleeping outdoors in cold weather (in my sleeping bag!). The hard part is when I'm feeling warm and cuddly and have to crawl out of the tent into the cold morning.

Pam - I did not sign up for the emails. FYI - I'm really enjoying his "morning" routines. So far, just the right intensity for me. But, once I complete CONDITION, I'll start with his Strength Foundations. I've found that BUILD and CONDITION work the accessory muscles so well, there was no need for more. But once I move onto a more traditional strength rotation, I want to keep working those accessory muscles.

Sherry - do take care of yourself!

Yesterday:

Morning: I wanted a short fusion cardio, so I used the filter and Cardio Dance Sculpt popped up for me. That can be fairly sparkly! Followed by Dean's Morning Yoga for Calm #3.

Workout: CONDITION: Calves & Shins. I really, really like this workout.

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 08:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Continuing on with Jessica's Fusion Collection!

Jessica Smith - Pilates Fusion Sculpt - this is on her AAP as well as on DVD. Just what it sounds like - Pilates based fusion workout. I enjoyed it.

I added on Lee Holden's 7 Min of Magic A.M. routine - I used to use this DVD regularly - mainly for the P.M. workout. I did the 7 min version of the workout and it felt rushed. He has a longer version at 16 minutes that I probably would have enjoyed more. When I used to do the PM routine, I always did the longer version (that was 14 minutes).

Last night I did try Barre3 - Mindful flow w/ Christa Joy from 3/18 - It was hard for me. I haven't done much yoga of late and the yoga I have done has been on the more restorative side. I did modify this workout and made it work for me, so it wasn't impossible, but I was not doing it exactly like Christa Joy!

I may dabble into B3 a bit - I have free access until 4/10 - so I'll poke around there. I can see subscribing at some point if I wanted to focus on it. I do like that all body types are represented in their programs. But I am overloaded on subscriptions and choices right now so I am good with dabbling during the free period and keeping it in mind for the future.

Sherry - continue to take it easy - you don't need a setback!

Waves, everyone!

Hope everyone has a good day - it is chilly here today.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 12:51 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I did Jessica Smith's YBYY (Shine) Cardio Yoga Fusion workout. It was decent, though I usually have to slow down some of the moves when she starts speeding up. Along with Dean's regular Flexibility workout, I did his Shoulder Recovery Restorative yoga. It was perfect after all of the weight work with Cathe yesterday!

It is chilly here today, also! Brrr.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 06:09 PM  
Leonana

I tried to sit more today at work. I had 3965 steps, so a little less than yesterday.

I think I did jump the gun and should have taken this week off too. I haven’t had a relapse but I think I’ve slowed my recovery. I am resting once I get home.

A coworker told me that she had pneumonia when she was a younger mother and her kids were young. She also worked at a hospital. She had five relapses and was sick for 18 months! She kept going to work and taking care of her kids instead of resting. I’m definitely resting all this weekend.
Old 03-21-24, 07:07 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I’m definitely resting all this weekend.
That sounds like a good idea!

FYI for Jessica / Fusion ladies. She just uploaded a 54:32 Full Length Fusion workout! (for Week 4 of SHINE) I can't wait to try it, tho I'll probably do 1/2 and 1/2.

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
Old 03-21-24, 07:56 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today I walked indoors for about 20 minutes while I talked to a friend on the phone and did STRENGTHEN: Upper Body (Push/Pull Pairs). I'm in the final week of SHED and I should be able to finish before the cataract surgery, which is next Tuesday. After that, I won't be lifting anything until maybe a couple of weeks after the second surgery which is April 9. I have to ask the doctor when I can resume lifting. The info they gave me said there are no restrictions, but I find that very hard to believe!

Donna, I like Jessica's Nature Walk too. Is that the one where there's an alligator in the background?

Sherry, Please take it easy!

Pam, It's been cold here too. It never got above 40 today and it was very windy. Saturday we're getting some type of crazy rain storm.

Neita, Thanks for the info on the new Fusion workout!
Old 03-22-24, 07:11 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Wish - sending good wishes for a successful and easy surgery!

I’m finished CONDITION! I did every strength workout at least twice, a few three times.

Yesterday
L.I.S.S. Ease + Flow, followed by a Dean 10-min Morning Yoga for Calm #4. Then, nothing else the rest of the day due to errands, driving around, and a family gathering.

This Morning
CONDITION: Shoulders & Upper Back, followed by Dean’s 10-min Morning Yoga for Calm #5. Coincidentally this session focused on shoulders and back, so that was a nice complement to the CONDITION workout.

I was reading the comments in the GD thread about the Pilates Reformer and stabilizer muscles, which match up with what I experienced with BUILD and CONDITION - a nice focus on getting the smaller accessory muscles stronger, which builds a good foundation. That sent me down an internet rabbit hole reading about accessory muscles and how to work those exercises into a strength training routine. I read about two dozen blurbs from fitness sites, strength training and bodybuilding sites, and physical therapist recommendations. Seems Jessica did her research and CONDITION follows the suggested template almost perfectly. The conventional wisdom is to do compound moves (primary movers like lunges, squats, presses, rows), then add on isolation and isometric exercises. At each session,focus on a stabilizing component (shoulders/upper back; hips & glutes; abs/torso). The only difference is that most recommendations are to do stabilizing / isolation exercises for higher reps. Interestingly, most articles mentioned the importance of isometric holds to build the necessary strength - and that pretty much matches Dean’s style.

-Neita

Current Rotations:
Old 03-22-24, 12:10 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Catching up....yesterday I got a dog walk in and then after work I pulled out an oldie - just for extra steps - Debbie Rocker P.M. Walk. This is a very basic walking workout with the most interesting thing being the scenery. I do enjoy these types of workouts from time to time - it is sort of like the Stott Walking workouts - very basic choreography, but good if you just want to zone out and get some extra activity into your day.

Today, so far:

Jessica Smith - LISS Feedback Flow - I had done this one before it is a low-key fusion workout. Good for a light day and gentle movement.

I may get a dog walk in later if it doesn't rain.

I may put Jessica on hold for a couple of weeks and take advantage of the B3 free trial I have. I was thinking 2 signature workouts a week and 1 strength and I'll maybe add on some of their core and stretching. That may be a good diversion and then I can resume with Jessica (or whomever) once I'm done with the B3 trial. We shall see what I pick tomorrow. I am enjoying this fusion rotation.

wishiwasinhawaii - I don't blame you for being cautious after the eye surgery I had a vitreous detachment - which is harmless unless it causes your retina to detach (which is what happened to DH). This was probably 10+ years ago I remember my eye Dr just telling me to avoid impact for a few weeks. I had also read to avoid inversions, which is not something I do anyway. I think it is smart to avoid impact and anything that would put a lot of pressure on the eye (like an inversion or heavy weights where you are straining) Maybe it would be a good time to do some of Jessica's Fusion workouts - you can use really light weights or no weight at all for them.

Neita - it's good to know there is a method behind Jessica's madness! Thank you also for mentioning the new Fusion workout - I just love that style, my favorite.

Sherry - maybe you should take more time off?

Pam - I can't remember if I did Cardio Yoga Fusion...must go look.

You can't say that Jessica isn't adding new content!!

Hope everyone has a good Friday and start to the weekend!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 07:22 PM  
Leonana

Walking at work, about 4,300 steps. I made sure to take it easier and sit as much as possible. Even though I should have rested more, working was good for me mentally. I was getting anxious and depressed after being sick for so long.

I do feel quite a bit better today. Still not 100%, but better. I have one more antibiotic pill to take. I had an appointment with my PCP today. She listened to my lungs while I took deep breaths, and said I sounded a lot better than last week. She also said that last week’s X-ray showed I was better, but I still had pneumonia. So they prescribed another antibiotic, which apparently worked thankfully. I guess that’s why I had such a hard time recovering, the first set of antibiotics didn’t get it all. I’m getting another X-ray next week, so hopefully will continue to get better. I will definitely rest this weekend!

It’s been in the low 80’s the past couple of days but supposed to cool off to the 70’s this weekend.

Neita, wow a 54 minute fusion workout, that’s a long one! Good to know Jessica is up on the current research.

wishiwasinhawaii, sending good vibes your way for a successful surgery. I’m going to have to get that at some point.

Donna, I’m interested in knowing how you like Barre3.
Old 03-23-24, 08:42 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Yesterday I took the day off and went to lunch and to get my hair done with a friend. She had cataract surgery a few years ago and was telling me all about it, which was very helpful and put my mind at ease. Today I did STRENGTHEN: Lower Body (Slow + Low). I've done this one before and it's a nice, slow lower body workout, just like the title says, lol.

Donna, Thanks for the tip about doing the Fusion workouts when I'm recovering from the surgeries. I just previewed a couple of them and that looks like it will be a good way to keep my fitness up without lifting! I also plan to ride my exercise bike and walk.

Sherry, Glad to hear you're improving! I'm sure that's a relief.

Neita, Thanks for the well-wishes! Congrats on finishing Condition! I really liked that rotation and plan to do it again. What do you plan to do next? It's good to know Jessica is up on the latest research.

Waves to Pam!