Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-23, 04:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Are High or Low Reps better for the lower body?

I want to gain muscle and slim the legs. Not sure I can do both at the same time. Not sure how to go about it.
Old 07-18-23, 05:25 PM  
nschultz

By gaining muscle, you will be slimming your legs. Focus on 8-12 reps but more importantly, on progressive overload. Follow a specific workout routine for 1 month straight, track how much you lift and the each week, try to increase the amount or number of reps you’re lifting.
Also, I know nutrition talk isn’t allowed much, but really making sure you’re taking in adequate protein is key!
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-23, 06:55 PM  
bubbles76

I gained muscle and slimmed legs through running. Since I can't do that anymore I just concentrate on gaining muscle and getting thick legs
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-23, 10:52 AM  
dnna

I don't think you can beat pilates, especially that old winsor buns and thighs. lots of pilates lower body workouts. I like Jilliam Hessiel ( spelling?) lower body pilates a lot! not too much - like steady strides or wimberlean-kind of over much for me. but pilates for slim legs!!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-23, 10:59 AM  
bubbles76

Dnna you're right, nothing like lower body unweighted work. I would also like to put in a plug for Margaret Richard and Linda with Barlates. Really kept my legs strong and toned when I couldn't do weighted lower body work for a time. Had a wonky knee that started acting up, and Linda and Margaret really came to my rescue. I also threw in some vintage Jane Fonda.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-23, 03:48 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have lost 20 lbs over the last 6 months, so my legs and hips have slimmed down, but they need some muscle definition. I also can't run because of a foot problem, tho I would love to. I am trying some body weight squats lunges etc

Not sure if I should add weight or do more reps, Slim Series style. That's why I asked the question.
Old 07-19-23, 09:57 PM  
bfit

It may vary from person to person, but I've always had more success with Pilates or barre with high reps rather than low reps with weights. It might be because I'm a small person, and I can't really use very heavy weights, but I can do the non-weighted work the way it's supposed to be done.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-23, 03:44 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Jane, that's awesome - 20 #.

i've had good results with callanetics in the past and tall box. if your foot can tolerate either or both, it might be worth a try.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-23, 07:35 AM  
edensmom

A moderate rep range of 8 -12 is my sweet spot. Why not just do a mix of both? Lots of fitness pros program heavier/lower and lighter/higher rep ranges into a single
workout. You could always alternate or just utilize whichever you like better.
I've heard Jordan Syatt address this multiple times on Instagram and his pod, here's some info from him.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...YkU1f5UI8lyeDG
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower body slimming, thigh slimming