Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 08-22-14, 06:24 PM  
isebelleg44

Almond & Peanut Butter Recall

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...821-story.html

I have a 1/2 jar of Trader Joe's Raw Almond butter left in my fridge, that is affected by this recall. Oh well...guess I won't eat the rest!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:04 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...821-story.html

I have a 1/2 jar of Trader Joe's Raw Almond butter left in my fridge, that is affected by this recall. Oh well...guess I won't eat the rest!
I had one of the jars of the MaraNatha almond butters, which I promptly tossed out. The date codes didn't match but I didn't care - I wasn't going to take a chance.

You would have been sick had your jar been affected. My husband had salmonella poisoning in the mid 1980s from a restaurant in Hartford, CT - 100 patrons were sickened and ultimately put the restaurant out of business. It takes a couple of days for the symptoms to show. It's bad. He lost 20 pounds in less than a week. He and our friend's wife ate blackened swordfish and it was the mayo that was tainted. It's really nasty and the doctor told us that it can cause arthritis later in life.

Glad you and yours are OK!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 08:26 AM  
cyana

I discovered I have two unopened jars of the TJ's raw almond butter that are affected by the recall, so back to TJ's they will go. Fortunately the opened jar isn't part of the recall.

TJ's also has a link on their main page that gives you the SKU #'s of the affected products as well as the date range.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 08:44 AM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I discovered I have two unopened jars of the TJ's raw almond butter that are affected by the recall, so back to TJ's they will go.
I also have two unopened jars! Guess I will make my own until this is resolved.
Old 08-23-14, 12:04 PM  
isebelleg44

I shouldn't definitely trying making my own, since I have a bag of almonds in the pantry.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 12:19 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting this! We buy a lot of Trader Joe's products.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 01:19 PM  
cyana

Just got back from returning my almond butter to TJ's. As one would expect, they were gracious about taking it back and refunding my money. DH was really enthusiastic since our total ended up at $11 after the $14 was deducted. He wishes every visit to TJ's only cost $11!

Should anyone be inspired to try their hand at making almond butter, here's a recipe from Megan at www.detoxinista.com:

How To Make Homemade Almond Butter
Author: Detoxinista.com
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 1.5 cups

A creamy almond butter that's more affordable than the store-bought versions!
Ingredients

3 cups almonds

Instructions

Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Secure the lid and allow to process for 20-30 minutes, stopping and scraping down the sides as needed throughout the process.
The almond butter is ready with the oils have released and the resulting butter is very smooth and creamy-- this takes more time than you'd expect, so be patient!
Transfer the almond butter to a sealed glass jar, and store in the fridge for best shelf life.

Here's the link to the page - she does a very good job of detailing how she makes her almond butter (and includes pictures to show the various stages of the process):

http://detoxinista.com/2012/09/how-t...almond-butter/

Also....lots of reader comments with tips.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 03:17 PM  
katmom

Kudos to the Nashville Trader Joe's! This one is super busy on Saturday and does not have great parking. I had decided I would return the two jars next week during my lunch break.

Today, I was on my way to my hair appointment which takes me by TJ's and noticed it was not too crowded. I decided to stop and get more detail about returning the product and they refunded my money on the spot!

Tags
trader joe's