Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-21, 08:45 AM  
TinaT

Let's chat about it...

Quote:
VF is so lacking in posts that even an accidental one is interesting! by Vintage Vfer
I laughed when I read this comment on another thread... but there is so much truth in what was said. And it got me thinking about the "why" behind the lack of posts. So I thought it would be good to explore the "why".

IMHO post are lacking because there are fewer workouts and instructors to talk about and/or review. Even the exchange lists are slim due to workouts going to streaming/download vs dvd format. Its seems like so many instructors have dropped off the workout curcuit. (At least for me, the people I enjoyed and followed).

I can remember when I couldn't wait to get on the forum to read the lastest reviews and decide if I needed that VHS workout. Or to chat about so many instructors releasing new footage at the same time, that I didn't know who I would order first. It just isn't that way anymore. I look over at Total Fitness in the "Coming Soon" catagory and sometimes there is nothing.

Another "why" could be folk have simply left the forum. Life gets busy, crazy, tough, etc. I have dropped off for long periods of time or simply don't post b/c life has me else where. It happens.

I wish the excitement I had for "new VHS releases" is how I feel now about current workouts. But I don't .

What do YOU think is behind the "Why" ?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 09:07 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I wish the excitement I had for "new VHS releases" is how I feel now about current workouts. But I don't .
I miss those days of anxiously waiting for new releases!

I am still just as excited about new YouTube workouts (maybe even more so), but it does not seem to be the same shared experience.

I compare it to the 'olden' days of TV vs. today's streaming. I remember when every Thursday so many people would be chatting about that night's upcoming episode of ER, then we would all discuss in detail the events the next day. That was back when you had to watch the episode when it aired, unless you taped it. Otherwise you were waiting for summer reruns.

Or back when you had to go the record store to by a new CD from your favourite musician. I much prefer being able to stream the album immediately, vs. making a trip to the mall, but I do miss the excitement and anticipation of actually getting your hands on the CD and putting it in your player.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 09:09 AM  
sherry7899

Paula, did you happen to see this last night? (if you are a fan of ER) It was great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWtWk9kSMPs

There are still people who go to record stores to discuss music...

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 09:12 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Oh wow - thank you Sherry! I did not know about that. It looks great - I will be checking it out later. I miss that show!

Old 04-23-21, 09:22 AM  
TinaT

I think having the "wait" taken out of the experience is what also removes the excitement for me. Don't get me wrong,.. there are some things I enjoy getting immediately, but the time given for that anticipation to build is what comes with the "wait", I kinda miss.
Old 04-23-21, 09:25 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Oh wow - thank you Sherry! I did not know about that. It looks great - I will be checking it out later. I miss that show!
You are welcome! I love it also. The reunion was about two hours. They hinted at doing another one.

The you tube channel that hosts it is great. They have a ton of other reunions on there. The channel is called "Stars in the House."

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 10:07 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I think having the "wait" taken out of the experience is what also removes the excitement for me. Don't get me wrong,.. there are some things I enjoy getting immediately, but the time given for that anticipation to build is what comes with the "wait", I kinda miss.
Exactly. I am one who enjoys the instant access, but I do miss the shared anticipation.

Like this morning, one of my new favourites, Stepping Around the World with Marci, just posted a new step workout. My immediate thought was to come here to share my excitement, but then I quickly realized - no one else really cares!

Old 04-23-21, 10:22 AM  
TinaT

It' amazing the instructors alone, that so many of us had in common that aren't actively producing workout for the masses to enjoy. Also, I am limited on how much streaming I can afford, so I feel like I'm missing out on instructors that don't produce dvds anymore. I feel like I'm looking through a window, wishing I could be in the room with all those in there talking about the latest streaming routines, etc.

Instructors that come to mind that we used to talk about, to name but a few:

Gin Miller
Karen Voight
The FIRM
Tracey Mallett
Kari Anderson

They either went to streaming or are done producing for the masses. Gin and Kari may still be in studio. Maybe?
Old 04-23-21, 11:19 AM  
anetta

I miss waiting for a new Firm infomercial to come out-

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 11:23 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Exactly. I am one who enjoys the instant access, but I do miss the shared anticipation.

Like this morning, one of my new favourites, Stepping Around the World with Marci, just posted a new step workout. My immediate thought was to come here to share my excitement, but then I quickly realized - no one else really cares!
I care! I love her step workouts! They are interesting routines that don't confuse me and she doesn't spend forever teaching the new steps. She's the perfect intermediate level for me! I've been looking for an instructor like her for a while without much success. So thank you for posting her channel!

Tags
forum issues, new members, vf activity, vf site issues