Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-14, 01:53 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

More muscles linked to longer life

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-...-1#scpshrjwfbs

Makes sense to me! From the article:

Quote:
"In other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death," study co-author Dr. Arun Karlamangla, an associate professor in the geriatrics division at University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, said in a university news release. "Thus, rather than worrying about weight or body mass index, we should be trying to maximize and maintain muscle mass."
Old 03-18-14, 01:57 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-...-1#scpshrjwfbs

Makes sense to me! From the article:
cough**bulk***cough

Might make sense, but it's a hard sell to many.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 05:23 PM  
Chomper

Adults lose muscle mass yearly from the age of 25. Regular strength training is as important as eating well, brushing and flossing your teeth, checking your blood pressure, and regular cardio and balance exercises. Unfortunately, so many people think strength training is just for body builders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcopenia
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 08:47 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm sure the article contains some very excellent points. But they needed to do some strong editing with the doctor's quote: "In other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death." As far as I know, we all have a 100% risk of death.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 01:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm sure the article contains some very excellent points. But they needed to do some strong editing with the doctor's quote: "In other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death." As far as I know, we all have a 100% risk of death.
HA HA HA..... you really made my day. i didn't click on the link, but just read your post. ha ha!!! THANKS!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:01 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmdancer View Post
i'm sure the article contains some very excellent points. But they needed to do some strong editing with the doctor's quote: "in other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death." as far as i know, we all have a 100% risk of death.
:d
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 07:17 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Adults lose muscle mass yearly from the age of 25. Regular strength training is as important as eating well, brushing and flossing your teeth, checking your blood pressure, and regular cardio and balance exercises. Unfortunately, so many people think strength training is just for body builders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcopenia
The Firm was saying this nearly 30 years ago. I'm baffled why this is so slow to catch on.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 07:29 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I noticed WebMD reported the study as well
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/n...src=RSS_PUBLIC

FWIW:
Quote:
Older adults with greater muscle mass had a lower risk of death during study period
Yes, of course everyone has a 100% risk of death in the end. Increased muscle mass was linked to longer life. I would imagine it is also correlated with an increased quality of life, due to a lessening of the frailty syndrome that occurs with sarcopenia in old age.
Old 03-19-14, 07:49 AM  
andtckrtoo

It makes sense. I mean, the more muscle you have the more you move and work your body. I know nutrition is important, too, but I think exercise is vital to good health - kind of like an expensive car - if you only drive it once in a while, it begins to break down.
Old 03-19-14, 07:59 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
The Firm was saying this nearly 30 years ago. I'm baffled why this is so slow to catch on.
You're right. But the fear -or dislike, at least - of having muscle persists.

Colleen - not this study, necessarily, but others do link muscle mass to increased strength and independence and quality of life in later age.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, longevity, muscle growth, weight training