Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-21, 04:45 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, even if you haven't worked out, you sound like you're accomplishing things! The cold rain would definitely put me off. It rained here Saturday and I just wanted to curl up and read.

Alison, we have a pretty big neighborhood pool. It was of course closed for a while along with everything else last year. It only goes to 5 feet deep and can get REALLY crowded, so we figured it was worth it to build one. It's about .3 miles away. When it did open, the kids and I would sometimes go for our neighborhood walk in the morning to the pool or walk around so the pool was towards the end of our route and jump in. Then we'd dry off on the walk back. It fortunately wasn't busy in the mornings, but it got really green and icky on and off.

I've gotten rid of tons of clothes on Poshmark and then tons of other stuff locally. I did SO MUCH decluttering when I wasn't working, yet our house is still full of stuff.

The kids have spring break this week and next so they're doing some little chores. It earns them time on their tablets so they don't mind too much! And with DS's cast, he still can't do much.

Daphne, today I really focused on engaging my legs again and keeping my back straight when I rowed and it really helped! I feel like the instructor looks rounded over when he comes forward but I think it's the angle of the camera at times.

I'm on week 4, the last week, of this rowing bootcamp series. I LOVE IT!! I swear my posture is better and I've leaned out all over. No weight loss, but I could tell at the grocery store when I'd pick up a couple of gallons of milk, I was the boss of them and they didn't throw me off balance.

I've hiked the last three weekends and that's been really nice. Trying to get in some outdoor time before it gets hot.

So yeah, the kids are home and DS and I are working. I may take off a day this week and one next week and do some little outings, but there isn't really much to do still.

Daylight Savings Time threw me for a loop. I really should be getting up at 4:30 for work but just couldn't today! All my meetings are now an hour earlier; thank goodness my work calendar automatically shifted itself!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 07:12 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Daylight Savings Time threw me for a loop. I really should be getting up at 4:30 for work but just couldn't today! All my meetings are now an hour earlier; thank goodness my work calendar automatically shifted itself!
Pratima: I thought of you when I was setting the clocks Sunday. First it was “Pratima is so lucky she doesn’t have to deal with this,” and then it was “Poor Pratima’s going to have to get up even earlier for the start of the east coast work day.” I hope it all works out ok for you.

I’m still on track with all my workouts. Sunday’s run around the lake was so good. It’ll be cold again for today’s lunchtime run though. I so hope we have a nice long spring! The virtual relay run across the country that I did last summer is starting up again in April. That was surprisingly fun last year, so I’m doing it again. I’m having thoughts of longer endurance events again, but we shall see. It’s one thing to have a good run of 4.5 miles. It’s another to train for a marathon!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 01:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Cyric and I finally went snowshoeing! It didn't seem like 9" out at the park but I don't know if they didn't get as much or if it was just bc of the snowshoes. This was his first time and he did well. I think he enjoyed it but also think he got tired even though we only did about a mile and a half. Probably halfway through he kept coming back right next to me and looking at me, whether for attention or trying to tell me smthg I wasn't sure. I decided we would do the loop on the other side of the park but it went to the road when I didn't think it would so we just turned around and went back the way we came. Then he walked in the tracks I had made and stopped seeking my attention so I figured tired was the culprit! Most of the snow was untouched and we had the whole park to ourselves. As I was deciding whether to try for more or be done, a dog grooming van pulled in with at least two big dogs so that decided for me, given his dog reactivity. It probably was for the best anyway. Don't want to get him so tired he doesn't want to go again! I am glad we went even though had a few sad moments remembering how much D'Argo and Chianna loved going, but I'm so thankful I have those memories. I was planning to finish my current jump rope challenge when we got home but I was starving so I'm eating lunch. Not sure I have a 45 minute jump rope workout in me anyway!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 05:26 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Yay snowshoeing! The picture in my head of the park is so pretty.

We had a good run today, and again, it was a little faster than last week. I’m still a minute behind my PR on this route. IIRC, I was having a really bad day at work the day of the PR, and I used that anger as fuel.

I took my hybrid bike to the local bike shop today for a tune-up. It needs a lot more, which doesn’t surprise me. It barely shifted gears when I went on those two long rides last fall. The shop is so busy that I won’t get it back until around April 20, but that’s ok. I also got my worn-out cleats on my tri bike shoes replaced. I don’t have any plans to ride it any time soon, but it doesn’t hurt to have the good cleats on.

Question: Do you ever tip the mechanic at the bike shop? I saw someone else picking up a bike tipping the mechanic, but I got the impression he was in there a lot.
Old 03-16-21, 05:34 PM  
Vantreesta

Alison, yes, the park was so pretty. I'm hoping the good day will give me the kick in the butt I need to get us out hiking once a week! Glad your running is going well and you're seeing improvements. I'm hoping doing the Caroline Jordan workouts I'm doing will help me be a stronger runner.

I don't have an answer about tipping at the bike shop. I have only ever been in there to buy my bike and then this year with the tube. It never crossed my mind to tip him when he replaced the tube.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-16-21, 11:39 PM  
Vantreesta

I found (and bought, of course) some workouts at the thrift store this wknd that I didn't have, including Schwinn Cycling Workout with Jay Blahnik and Spinervals Pain Cave.

Old 03-17-21, 05:59 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I have the Jay Blahnik Schwinn video. I like it, especially since all the background exercisers are Schwinn instructors, and I’ve taken classes at conventions from almost all of them. I can’t remember if I have the Pain Cave. I don’t think I do.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I don’t really do anything to celebrate beyond wearing green.
Old 03-18-21, 10:09 AM  
Vantreesta

I don't know where my mojo went this week. Just not feeling like doing anything but cuddling with my boy! Can I blame DST???

Yesterday he had a vet appt at 11 and did really well. I wasn't sure how this curbside thing would go for him. Last year they just came out to the parking lot and gave him his quick shot so I was with him. This time they took him in and he does not like being led away from me. He was really low-key and off the rest of the day, didn't ask to play even once. I finally made myself workout around 2:00 but couldn't face the 45 minute jump rope workout to finish off my current Crossrope challenge. I did Qi Gong day 11, Caroline's 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, SUAT workout 2 and Crunch Cardio Salsa. We had corned beef and cabbage and brownies with Andes mints melted on top for supper to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, although that was all me bc hubby doesn't care about holidays. When I was finally getting ready to head to bed I could tell Cyric was just anxious and not wanting me to leave him so I slept on the couch beside him on his bed. He did pick up a stuffed squirrel to play today so hopefully it's a sign that he's feeling better. We're heading out to walk shortly. Evidently our walks were even less or slower this winter than I thought bc he's up to 68.2 lbs and should weigh around 63. We better step it up! He only eats 2 1/2 cups of food a day and doesn't get much for treats so I'm not cutting back on that at all, just gotta up the walk distance and speed. We're both ready for that anyway.

Old 03-18-21, 10:10 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
Vantreesta: I have the Jay Blahnik Schwinn video. I like it, especially since all the background exercisers are Schwinn instructors, and I’ve taken classes at conventions from almost all of them. I can’t remember if I have the Pain Cave. I don’t think I do.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I don’t really do anything to celebrate beyond wearing green.
Alison, that's so cool that you've taken classes from the instructors! It will be a while till I work up to doing the workout but I hope it will be a carrot to incentivize me!

Old 03-18-21, 11:38 AM  
Daphne M

REPLIES:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH
I have way too many workout clothes
Same here! This year I just kept buying quarter zips because I could wear them for work-at-home and my workouts. The other day I realized I've got more than 20 hanging in the closet. It's ridiculous. No, *I* am ridiculous. It's just that, well, pretty colors. Soft fabrics.

Alison - I've never tipped the LBS guys and now I'm worried about it. My guess is that it's not the norm, but I'm not at all sure. You've got me wanting to get out for a run around the lake. So glad you're enjoying it.

Pratima
- That rowing bootcamp series sounds really good. I assume it's on the iFit app? Are you done with the series now? Hydrow doesn't have any bootcamps, although (LIGHTBULB!) technically I could create my own because they have tons of 5 and 10 and 15 minutes rows that would easily mix with strength training. Hmmm. I just love the bootcamp format. Oh so sorry about the time change and your meetings being even earlier now. This year it has felt like a bigger adjustment than usual. I hope you're surviving the kids' spring break.

Vannie - I hope Cyric is feeling better after his big snow hike and his shot. What breed is he? He's about the same weight as Nema was. She was small for a golden. (And extremely cute, of course.) I think I have both that Jay Blahnik workout and the Pain Cave. I don't remember much about Jay's workout, but he is always solid. I remember that I didn't think the Pain Cave was actually all that painful, in fact I used to like it for an easier Spinerval day. I have a feeling that I'd feel differently about it now, though.

Me - A week of up's and down's. I was churning out some longer workouts and could feel my fitness growing and then -- bump in the road! -- I had my first full-blown bad migraine in months on Saturday, so the day was a total write-off. The clock change came right on the heels of that and I've been tired ever since. I finally realized that it's the danged pollen. It gives me headaches and makes my eyes swell and tire. I think the pollen triggered the migraine. I don't do well with allergy meds so I'll just keep my eye on the daily tree/grass pollen count and pop tylenol or ibu as needed. I'm relieved to have figured it out. I'm lucky: it's usually just a rough 3 weeks and then I'm over it.
  • Saturday - Nothing, see above.
  • Sunday - Slow run around the lake (the OTHER lake that's connected to the one that Alison has been running around) with Debbie, plus a little extra spur to make an even 7 miles.
  • Monday - 30 minute Hydrow "DRIVE" row with Nick. You know how I love Nick and he did not disappoint.
  • Tuesday - PTO day, so I had extra time to fit in a lot. Started with a 5k run outside that felt so slow and tired that I thought my Garmin had stopped working when I swore I was at 3 miles but the watch said TWO. (I now realize it was a pollen thing.) I gritted it out, got home and hopped on the bike for a 90s rock ride (Denis) and started feeling so much better that I even added on a 60s ride (one of the Hannahs). You guys! I made it to 45 minutes on the bike without wanting to tear my hair out. And at that point, I even felt recharged. I added on a strong 15 row on the Hydrow, finished up with core work and mobility work. (Hydrow's mobility workouts are outstanding.)
  • Wednesday, Part 1 - This is where things got crazy and I blame Cleda. Had a very respectable morning workout: 30 minute tread bootcamp + 10-minute Peloton low impact ride + 10 minute Hydrow technical warm-up row + 10 minutes of Hydrow Pilates. So well-rounded! A little bit of everything! Yay me!
  • Wednesday, Part 2 -- Then around noon I get a text from Cleda asking if I'd done the special St Paddy's Day row with James and Laine. What row? I go into panic tailspin mode because, y'all, what if there is a BADGE opportunity and I missed it? She informs me there is a 45 minute row, it is a DRIVE and she is doing it. And then she immediately proceeds to actually DO IT. And send me all kinds of sunny, thumbs up emoji's about how much she liked it and she will definitely want to do this one again. Meanwhile I'm all in a dither because I know this means I have to do it too. So I do the only acceptable ENDURANCE check-in option, schedule a work "appointment" from 3:30-4:30 and proceed to do the flipping workout. And let me tell you, this workout was HARD and if you ever wondered if Cleda is actually mortal, the answer is no, she is not, she is a MACHINE.
  • Workout was: 10 minute warm-up + 6 x 1 minute on/1 off, ramping up from 26 SPM to 30 SPM. 2 minute rest. Then 6 x 1 on/off, the first 3 at 28 SPM and the second 3 at 30 SPM. Rest. I think. It's a haze. Then the final set was 5 x 1 on/off, the first two @ 30 SPM, the second 2 @32 SPM and the final rep was "open" which means row like a bat out of a hell. For the last 10 minutes of the workout, I spent all my "off" minutes just rolling from cheek to cheek on the Hydrow, trying to rub the fire out of my butt and thutt. Yowza. Anyway. Check that one off! (Oh and by the way, there wasn't a badge, I did it for pride only.)
  • Today - 30 minute tread bootcamp (Andy, bodyweight exercises) + 10 minute low impact ride (Denis) + about 7 minutes of Hydrow yoga - front folds.
Onward and upward! Beware of texts from Cleda.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote