Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-15, 09:21 PM  
holliholli915

Wow! You all are SO knowledgeable about this fascia topic. After doing more research and reading these posts, I'm deciding to definitely incorporate it into my weekly routine. It just seems essential and to be a great way to stave off soreness.

I also started doing some plantar fascia stretches - I wouldn't say that I have plantar fasciitis; but, I am experiencing some tightness in my feet from Dance Cardio. Well after only three days of mediocre stretching, my feet feel WAY better.

Why don't more trainers/gyms just incorporate some of these quick stretches into their routines, especially those who practice vigorous workouts.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 09:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love yin yoga and have a few yin poses I do regularly to stretch the fascia and especially stretch my front body. It really helps my hips, knees and low back.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 10:21 PM  
SueT

Doesn't Miranda talk a lot about the fascia during her Classical Stretch workouts?

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 11:42 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Doesn't Miranda talk a lot about the fascia during her Classical Stretch workouts?

Sue
She does. I think she does as early as Season 4.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 10:09 AM  
ssgilby

I just discovered Jill Miller, who is a fascia expert! Yes, I've heard of Jill around here for years, but it wasn't until recently when peri-menopause has made me stiff and prone to injury, aggravated some old lower back and neck issues, rendered me pretty much unable to do any type of workout and basically made me feel at least twice my age that I decided to try her stuff. I've been using her Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix videos and her Roll Model book ball method. I have been converted! These things are working so actually fix my issues and heal not only my body but also my mind and soul - both of which were fatigued, depressed, angry and so many other negative things resulting from such constant, annoying pain in my body. The self-massage is wonderful. I often experience a big rush of emotion during a session in addition to a tremendous amount of bodily relief. I have become a complete devotee of Jill's!

I really recommend her Roll Model book that is a very in-depth look at anatomy, including fascia. Buy some of the Yoga Tune Up balls to go with it, so you can experience for yourself what some TLC for your fascia can do!
Old 11-02-15, 11:16 AM  
prisma

ssgilby, I bought Jill Miller's Roll Model when it came out and read through it but was kind of overwhelmed by it--there are a million things in it! I feel like I need to do it all but there's so much I haven't really tried any of it. How did you break into it and what was the time involved for you?
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 12:05 PM  
ssgilby

Hi, Prisma! I was introduced to the balls through Jill's Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix DVDS. She uses them just a bit in each section there. I then bought the book because I discovered how well the balls seemed to work, and I needed MORE! LOL! You are right. The book is HUGE and there is so much information! I am reading it from start to finish - just a little bit each evening. I have tried some of the sequences, and although I was definitely feeling the benefits and enjoying it. There are some things that are hard to understand through reading written instructions only, and some of the moves are difficult to get into without some additional instruction or better yet, a visual. Now the book has a TON of very good photos, but what I needed for some of the things was an actual demonstration so I bought Jill's On Demand set which includes a set of the original Yoga Tune Up balls and an instructional DVD - http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Massage...ds=jill+miller. You can also buy the DVD set individually. The DVD set includes a disk with sequences for using the balls on the wall and a disk with the floor sequences. They are very through and cover the whole body. Each individual segment only takes 5-10 minutes - sometimes a bit longer, but that's because on the floor sequences, Jill gives a quick anatomy lesson on the relevant body parts for each sequence.

I highly recommend the DVD set. It will definitely make learning how to use the balls much more manageable and the lesson the amount of immediate information overload!

ETA: It should be noted that the DVD I reference above does not include ALL of the sequences from the Roll Model book. However, it does include quite a lot, and I think if you get the general idea from watching the sequences, you can translate it to the other sequences in the book.
Old 11-02-15, 01:08 PM  
prisma

Ugh, ssgilby, you just enabled me. Drat! I just splurged and bought this instead because it had the entire set of balls. I'm a little in shock. But looking through the Roll Model book, some of the moves required balls I don't have (I only have the little original size.)

Did you say you've used this on your lower back? I have lower back compression (due to tight psoas I think) and even after years of yoga I still get lower back pain with both forward bends and back bends. I'm really hoping this will help!
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 01:42 PM  
ssgilby

Yea! I hope it works for you! Please keep me posted. I think there should be a Jill Miller check in. LOL!

I don't have that Treat While You Train set, so please let me know how the videos are, and if they would be a worthwhile additional to my rapidly growing Jill Miller collection. I have, however, accumulated ALL of the balls, including TWO alpha balls, although I have no idea when I would need a second of the Alpha. They came in a set (which I ordered from Jill's website.)

I think my next purchase is going to be her Yoga Tune Up at Home program. I've practiced yoga on and off for years (in fact, for almost a year way back when, I did only yoga and some cardio for my fitness routine - I felt great, and my DH said I never looked better), but when my lower back went bad, I found yoga often aggravated it (as did almost all other exercises with the exception of Tracy Anderson for some odd reason). Jill states in her book that often people bring bad body mechanics, postural habits, etc. into a yoga practice and then yes, yoga can cause harm. I feel the need to re-learn yoga and make sure I am doing it correctly and really listen to what my body is saying. I think Jill is the person to take me there.

In any event, getting back to the subject at hand, fascia and self-massage ball therapy, my lower back issue is bulging disks. An MRI yeras ago showed two of them (and 3 in my neck), most likely caused by age and wear and tear. For years I managed them by trying to treat my back well (good posture, good body mechanics, etc.) and do the exercises I learned in PT years ago when I had a flare up. However, my bouts of pain became more and more frequent starting about a year and a half ago, and since February, it got worse. (I believe the whacky peri-menopause hormones are causing a lot of it.) I've had lower back pain every day since maybe April or May - sometimes fairly moderate, but often bad. Since I started rolling (and my lower back has been the primary focus for me), my pain has diminished. For the past few days, I haven't had ANY low back pain. I continue to do sequences for the lower back, but I am now focusing more on the upper back/neck, in an effort to get that area feeling as good as the lower back.

I believe that the therapeutic strengthening exercises in the Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix videos combined with the ball massage is doing wonderful things for me. I imagine it should definitely help with your lower back issues. In the book and in the videos I have, Jill talks about the psoas and how it contributes to lower back pain and tightness. Good luck!!!

ETA: Oh, I should also note that I had a flare up of plantar fasciitis that has plagued me for the past 6 months. Although I wear my custom orthotics and have avoided all type of cardio except for a few short walks here and there and some bicycling, I gave up on the night brace, frequent icing, etc. Those traditional treatment methods weren't doing anything to keep the foot pain at bay. After doing the rolling sequences for the feet several times the past couple of weeks, I can feel the pain going away! I'm pretty sure there are medical professionals out there who poo poo the whole idea of stretching and massaging one's fascia, I have become a believer!
Old 11-02-15, 02:01 PM  
antbuko

I have Jill's book too, but have only skimmed through it looking for specific areas that I wanted to treat. One thing that you can do is search Youtube. I have found a lot of useful short Youtube videos by Yoga Tuneup instructors.

Prisma, I don't think you can go wrong with that kit that you bought. All the balls are very useful. Too bad it didn't include the book.

ETA: I do intend to read Jill's book in it's entirety but I was juggling too many books at one time and put it aside for now.

Tags
fascia, stretching