Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-12, 07:10 AM  
isebelleg44

Plantar Fasciitis

I am 95% sure I have Plantar Fasciitis, but I have not got an official diagnosis. I had posted about this last month, took the awesome suggestions from wonderful Vfers and it went away. Then I slacked off on my stretching and started doing more impact and running and it came back with a vengence!

So I was going to lay off the impact, foam roll regularly, start wearing my yoga toes that I haven't worn in years, and follow other tips.

Should I see a doctor? And if so should I go to a Podiatrist? Or see someone else, because from I have read this all stems from the calf. I was also reading about superfeet inserts, but I don't know if I should just look into custom orthotics?

I just don't want to do anymore damage, but I also don't want to waste $... TIA!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 08:01 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

My brother is a podiatrst--and when I had a flare up suggested Superfeet inserts. Icing isn't as helpful for me but keeping that calf stretched out and staying low impact has been key for me. You may want to consider barefoot workouts ala Ellen or whatever--that seems to be beneficial, also.

If you can relieve pain on your own I don't know if it would be necessary to see a podiatrist.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 08:05 AM  
katmom

If you haven't already started anti-inflammatory medication, you might start taking Motrin or Aleve. Also stretching the PF before getting out of bed helps mine. I also stretch the PF randomly during the day.

I find I am most likely to develop plantar fasciitis when I go barefoot for extended time periods (like summer time). During the summer, I generally wear a pair of Earth (love the Cabo San Lucas) or Birki's double or triple strap beach sandals around the house and outdoors.

I have custom orthotics for my work/street shoes, but quit wearing them after I started wearing MBT's almost exclusively. I do, however, always wear my custom sport orthotics when wearing either my cross-trainer or running shoes.
Old 06-28-12, 08:16 AM  
ElizabethS
VF Supporter

Love the information here, after battling PF for over a year the info here had helped the most.
http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/
Old 06-28-12, 09:13 AM  
bethellen

My PF

I stop doing impact (almost all - even "low impact" workouts) when my pf is bad. I stick to strength only workouts.

I wear Orthaheel sandals and shoes. If not in Orthaheel, I wear my Protech Powerstep orthotics in my shoes.

I NEVER go barefoot (except in the shower and when I'm sleeping).
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 09:20 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
If you haven't already started anti-inflammatory medication, you might start taking Motrin or Aleve. Also stretching the PF before getting out of bed helps mine. I also stretch the PF randomly during the day.

I find I am most likely to develop plantar fasciitis when I go barefoot for extended time periods (like summer time). During the summer, I generally wear a pair of Earth (love the Cabo San Lucas) or Birki's double or triple strap beach sandals around the house and outdoors.

I have custom orthotics for my work/street shoes, but quit wearing them after I started wearing MBT's almost exclusively. I do, however, always wear my custom sport orthotics when wearing either my cross-trainer or running shoes.
What is MBT? Thanks!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Old 06-28-12, 09:21 AM  
shoegoddess

http://heelspurs.com
check out this site.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 09:21 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethS View Post
Love the information here, after battling PF for over a year the info here had helped the most.
http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/
Thanks! I will have to watch this when I get home from work!

Old 06-28-12, 09:22 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
http://heelspurs.com
check out this site.
I like the looks of that foot stretch device. I wonder if Dick's would have it. Thanks!

Old 06-28-12, 12:17 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Since I stared using the Superfeet (mentioned up thread), my PF has been under control.

If you do decide to see a podiatrist, I recommend seeing one that is a runner. They are more likely to understand that you want to be as active as possible. I feel that doctors that don't exercise are more likely to just say "stop working out" when that isn't always necessary. My doctor allowed me to run while I was dealing with PF. By doing the regimen he suggested (certain stretches, wearing a boot, getting superfeet, getting the right shoes, getting sports massage) I have been PF free for many years.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis