Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-09, 11:40 AM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Treadmill Help Needed - ? regarding CHP (HP)

I have owned two treadmills in the last 13 years which cost major $$$ but only had a life span of roughly 7 years each, so this time around I am not spending as much and we decided on a budget of up to $1200.

I have researched heavily and have a few that I am leaning towards however I have a question regarding chp. I use my treadmill primarily for CardioCoach as well as 5x a week for 3-mile runs ....... I have found a few that I am looking into however they have between 2.25 - 2.5 chp and I wanted to know if this is sufficient? My previous treadmills had a higher hp however through research I learned that higher hp is not necessarily stronger than lower chp.

I have looked on treadmilldoctor and various other sites however the info is mixed with some saying 2.25 - 2.5 chp is good for walking and others saying it is sufficient for running, so I thought that I would ask here at VF for opinions since many own treadmills ------ I appreciate any feedback.
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 11:58 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I've owned a Nordic Track C2200 for almost 4 years (it'll be 4 years the first part of November). It has a 2.5 chp motor and so far so good. I run about 3 times a week on it (avg of 6 miles per run) and have also run a few "long" runs that have exceeded 12 miles or so at one time. This morning I checked the odometer and it says I've run 2430 miles since I bought it.

I've only had the belt changed once (about 9-10 months ago) and they put a new console on it because I told them the fan made a ton of noise and the speed seemed a little "faster" than it should be sometimes. I bought it from Sears and paid for the extended warranty so it didn't cost me a dime.

I'm very happy with my purchase and *knock on wood*...hopefully it lasts at least another 2-3 years before I have to purchase a new treadmill. Oh, I paid $799 for it and about $189 for a 3 year warranty when I bought it. I'm now on the yearly renewal of $59 per year for the warranty (which I'll definitely keep!)

HTH,
Kathy

Here's a link to a review. I think they've since "upgraded" this model and made it iFit card compatible. I think it's a model 2550 or 2500 now?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...05.html?cat=50
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:04 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Not sure if this will help:
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Tread...4Pa38Ta38PbNj0

What treadmills did you have that didn't last?

The link above also has Best Buys and reviews to refer to but maybe VFers could give you recommendations from personal experience too.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:13 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
It has a 2.5 chp motor and so far so good.
Ooops....meant a 2.25 chp motor.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:21 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

This one was a runner up best buy and has a good rating:
http://store.horizonfitness.com/pc-2...01-black.aspx#

Dick's might have it in the store if you have one.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:25 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I've owned a Nordic Track C2200 for almost 4 years (it'll be 4 years the first part of November). It has a 2.5 chp motor and so far so good. I run about 3 times a week on it (avg of 6 miles per run) and have also run a few "long" runs that have exceeded 12 miles or so at one time. This morning I checked the odometer and it says I've run 2430 miles since I bought it.

I've only had the belt changed once (about 9-10 months ago) and they put a new console on it because I told them the fan made a ton of noise and the speed seemed a little "faster" than it should be sometimes. I bought it from Sears and paid for the extended warranty so it didn't cost me a dime.

I'm very happy with my purchase and *knock on wood*...hopefully it lasts at least another 2-3 years before I have to purchase a new treadmill. Oh, I paid $799 for it and about $189 for a 3 year warranty when I bought it. I'm now on the yearly renewal of $59 per year for the warranty (which I'll definitely keep!)

HTH,
Kathy

Here's a link to a review. I think they've since "upgraded" this model and made it iFit card compatible. I think it's a model 2550 or 2500 now?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...05.html?cat=50

Yes, the 2550 is on my list of choices ...... I tested it out last night at Sears and it is priced at $849. (the other two choices on my list are Horizon and Sole.)
Old 09-16-09, 12:27 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120 View Post
Not sure if this will help:
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Tread...4Pa38Ta38PbNj0

What treadmills did you have that didn't last?

The link above also has Best Buys and reviews to refer to but maybe VFers could give you recommendations from personal experience too.
I have owned a Precor and Proform ..... I have been going crazy with all the online reviews, but yet I feel better asking real consumers, which is why I thought of Videofitness first.
Old 09-16-09, 12:31 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120 View Post
This one was a runner up best buy and has a good rating:
http://store.horizonfitness.com/pc-2...01-black.aspx#

Dick's might have it in the store if you have one.
Yes, this too (T1201) was on my list but sadly it has been discontinued according to Dicks ....... I went to two seperate Dicks last night and both did have this treadmill on the floor priced at $799 but they no longer carry it ....... the sales rep told me to look at at the T901, but the T1201 just looked better built to me.
Old 09-16-09, 12:35 PM  
red1013

Are you a Costco member? This one is supposed to be really nice (3.0 CHP):

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
red1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:43 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
Are you a Costco member? This one is supposed to be really nice (3.0 CHP):

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Thanks for the suggestion ....... I am calling now to see if they have one in store to look at ...... thanks again.