Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-05, 01:40 PM  
ribalta
VF Supporter

Hi;

Quote:
I'm always a little humbled by the skill with
This is the same I feel when I am reading posts of other international VFers. I have the sensation they all speak or write perfectly in English and I have the need to be able to use my hands for explaining something.

BTW as Sharon said:
Quote:
the idea of communication is not to speak (or write) it perfectly, but to be understood, and I understand everyone on this thread perfectly.
Also I am opened you give me some advice about my English since being wrong is learning too.

Marketa
ribalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 03:14 PM  
Emmanuelle

Marketa,

I admire you : you have you own native language, live in a country using another one and, after that, work to write in an English speaking forum. I assume that's not easy. I've only my native language and English ( for the forum ) to manage, and, sometimes, English words don't come to my mind. I can't really imagine managing 3 languages.

Emmanuelle

PS : Like Marketa, I'd be happy if my fellows vfer who speak English could correct my mistakes when they see them, I want to learn ! TIA
Emmanuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 03:50 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH
I read something a while back, about learning another language, that has always stuck in my mind....the idea of communication is not to speak (or write) it perfectly, but to be understood, and I understand everyone on this thread perfectly.
SO TRUE!!!!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 10:12 AM  
yoni

what an interesting thread Jacqi ! just came across it and thought to post too. English is my second language too , Hebrew is the first. Interesting to see people from all over the world and with different native languages communicate in one website and one language.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 10:44 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up Another reason to love VF!!!

It's all the folks I get to meet from all over the world...esp. from places I may never get to visit. So please, don't worry if your online English isn't "perfect", ours isn't either and besides we want to hear and learn from you, too!!!

English is my native language and while I took French all through high school and was really good with it, I remember shamefully little today. I read somewhere that learning another language is a great way to exercise our minds, esp. if we are trying to stave off something like Alzheimers, so I should figure out a language to tackle...maybe try to pick up the French and see if any will come back to me?

Marketa and Emmanuelle, I can appreciate that you want to be corrected so you can learn better English (or American), but we who do speak English and have done so all our lives, well, we can sure mess up our grammar, our spelling and our punctuation (I prefer to leave out the comma before the "and", but I can't recall the rule...). I correct mine before hitting submit, but I have trouble making out others' posts.
Old 03-16-09, 10:49 AM  
vivian

Great thread Jacqi !

I haven't seen some of you for a while . Marketa , Emmanuelle , nice to see you again !

Whenever any of you have doubts about posting , just remember that the more you write , the more you practice. And the more you practice the better you'll be at it

V
vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 10:56 AM  
wallace22

English is my first language. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, but that was 22 years ago! I am currently studying the Spanish language in hopes of making it a second language. I have always enjoyed trading DVD's with videofitters from other countries. My children think it is really cool. We save the envelopes with that countries stamps. So far I have Canada and Greece.

Angela
wallace22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 11:03 AM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace22
So far I have Canada and Greece.
The latter was from me, Angela

I speak three languages and understand four. I can speak each pretty fluently, but cannot switch from one to the other at will

My mother tongue is Greek, and I am a Spanish and English professor. It took a couple of years of living overseas to reach a satisfactory level of fluency, at least in English!
Old 03-16-09, 04:46 PM  
sundari

Very interesting thread!!! So nice to hear from so many. My first language was not English either. I agree that the best solution is to continue posting and participating here.
Old 03-16-09, 09:32 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace22
I have always enjoyed trading DVD's with videofitters from other countries. My children think it is really cool. We save the envelopes with that countries stamps. So far I have Canada and Greece.

Angela
I thought I was the only one that did this! I remember writing back to Vee and marveling at the envelope they used in her country. Nothing like it here in the US.

Oh, I'm a native American and speak American But I'm so glad to see so many people that I've never seen before come out.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introductions