Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-05, 03:49 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

To lurkers for whom English is a second (or third...) language

Welcome ! Please post!

I enjoy hearing from vidiots all around the world, and of course from immigrants to English speaking countries, so please post even if your English is flawed. And feel free to ask for clarification if you don't understand something.

I posted this today after struggling to read a French yoga site. And I do understand, because I still have a strong accent & make mistakes in Hebrew after years in Israel.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 05:09 PM  
elisas
VF Supporter

English is my first language but...

...Jacqui, I have to say, it would be a VF dream come true to practice my Hebrew by discussing workout videos with you in Hebrew .

Elisa S.
elisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 05:22 PM  
Joe

Oh! Please PM me in Hebrew with the English translation! I've been wanting to learn that ancient language for years and it will come in handy if I ever go back to college in which Hebrew would be one of my required classes.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 05:33 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

It would be fun to be able to discuss my hobby in a foreign language! I can speak Danish, but when I learned it I didn't exercise -- so I don't know ANY of the words that I would need.

I love that VF is an international site -- and I love the idea of fitness vidiots all over the world!

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 05:37 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Oh! Please PM me in Hebrew with the English translation! I've been wanting to learn that ancient language for years and it will come in handy if I ever go back to college in which Hebrew would be one of my required classes.
Try www.ilovelanguage.com

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 05:40 PM  
Joe

Thanks Nancy!
Old 01-11-05, 05:44 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Joe, what program are you taking that requires Hebrew? Fwiw, I was in a Hebrew day school until grade 7 and was fully fluent. I am very out of practice but last time I was in Israel for any extended period, I did regain my spoken fluency nearly all the way. Unfortunately I never did regain the ability to read without vowels

I also have adequate French and Spanish but am not by any stretch fluent, and the few times I have tried to converse with native speakers, they switched to English as soon as they heard my accent.

And I know a whopping three Maori words...

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 06:04 PM  
Thanya
VF Supporter

Thanks Jacqui! I always feel a bit uneasy to post since English is my second language (I'm from Thailand but have been in the U.S. for a while for school). I have learned so much from all my friends from the check-in and I can't thank them enough.
Thanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 06:09 PM  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Joe, what program are you taking that requires Hebrew?
Religious studies.
Old 01-11-05, 06:22 PM  
atticus
VF Supporter

I'd like to try that . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisas
...Jacqui, I have to say, it would be a VF dream come true to practice my Hebrew by discussing workout videos with you in Hebrew .

Elisa S.
Elisa and Jacqi,
I'd love to join in a Hebrew work out discussion! I need to practice because my DD and DS will soon have a better knowledge of the language than I do.

Isn't it great that so many people from all over the world share our love of fitness?

Have fun!

Tags
introductions