Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-04, 01:55 PM  
gypsygirl64

I have been thinking more about this (since my first post) - I have always loved working out but work/studying always seemed to get in the way.

This is the FIRST job that I have had in 15+ years that I KNOW I will be home before 6:00 on a regular basis. Even my "month-ends" which would using mean 20+ hours of OT are now no - brainers.

I started working out again in May of 2003 - and have slowly picked up the pace ever since. I am not that stimulated at work anymore but I am happier overall with my life.

So since I am an accountant - but an understimulated one - maybe the complexity of the video is more important to me now.

If I DO have something I am worried about or can't get out of my head - I will put in an easier workout - that way I will not twist my knee or fall on my butt because I am not paying that much attention.

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 05:51 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I teach at a university, so I'm in "intellectual" and "creative" mode most of the day. I prefer straight forward workouts. No complex choreography. No need for me to think about it. Just a need to concentrate on what I'm doing.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 07:07 PM  
Daphne M

I like the theory, but my tastes have evolved for reasons having nothing to do with complexity.

My job is probably a mere "5" on the complexity scale.( But a "10" for "must be creative and organized. Do they know how hard it is to be BOTH?!)

My workout changes reflect the physical nature of my work environment. I used to have a large office with windows that really opened and closed. Now I work in the middle of an open space environment and I have no privacy whatsoever. I really prefer being outdoors for my workouts now. And thus, the whole running/biking thing. I'll probably swing back in a few more years. It's good to have options.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 08:15 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I wasn't going to join in but

after reading some of the responses and insights, decided I'd add my two cents. I teach for Head Start in the Chicago suburbs where poverty is a requirement for admission. All of the children (4-5yr olds) are at-risk or have defined disabilities. I teach a morning class and afternoon class of 18 students each. Without going into "poor me" mode, let's just say my job is a high stress, high emotional drain, high physical energy drain kinda job. The kids are very needy and I need to chill when I get home. I don't need newness or a challenge in a workout cuz I get that all day long. I need a good, repetitous, destress workout. I don't want to think! So that means ANY step workout is outa the question cuz I need to pay attention. I ride my bike, walk the dogs a couple of miles, do a strength workout, or a piece of a strength workout cuz I don't have time. I'm happy and a "new" person every morning with the way I do things. Now summers......that's a different story. Alexis
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 08:40 PM  
KathAL79

I guess that both my workout preferences and the complexity of my life have to do with my personality, not with each other per se. I'm a high school teacher who has to cover two levels of two different languages (Latin and Ancient Greek, which has a different alphabet) for a total of six classes while covering a departmental project since we don't have a full-time chair this year. I like things that are intellectually stimulating and don't mind complexity at all. I do hi/lo (including Christi), kickboxing, yoga, Pilates, and weight lifiting. I find that these types of exercise requires my concentration, and I like that because it takes me away from the stress of teaching and my life in general. (My bf, on the other hand, finds it easier to zone out while doing his elliptical trainer. And that's why we work out separately.)
I will say that after a day of telling others what to do I don't mind having an instructor tell me what to do. In fact, I prefer to have a video rather than think up my own routine. So I guess in that way my life influences what I do to work out.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 11:53 PM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Somewhat O/T but... I just wanted to comment on what an interesting and varied group of women (and men) we are!! I am awed by each of your posts -- everyone from the SAHMs to the students to the teachers (and all the others, too )...

This is why I love VF. Where else would I get to "hang out" with such a cool group of ladies?!

Meg
Old 11-02-04, 09:22 AM  
gypsygirl64

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
Somewhat O/T but... I just wanted to comment on what an interesting and varied group of women (and men) we are!! I am awed by each of your posts -- everyone from the SAHMs to the students to the teachers (and all the others, too )...

This is why I love VF. Where else would I get to "hang out" with such a cool group of ladies?!

Meg
I agree! It seems everyone is inspiring in her/his own way!

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 09:28 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie

Meg
Meg, I was just about to post the same thing. What a diverse and interestnig group!!

Ok, now on to something related:

For those of you who like to "zone out" what workouts fit the bill for you?

For me, its:
29 minutes step workout w/Gin Miller. My absolute fav zone out vid.
KV's Burn and Firm
QF Pilates for Abs
Jane Fonda's Complete Workout (cuz I know it by heart)
Any kind of floorwork.
Most any kind of strength work.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 09:50 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Before I retired, 2 1/2 years ago, my curatorial job was incredibly complex and multi layered: design and development of exhibition, loans to other exhibiting institutions, collection development (original material and monographic support), collection management and assistance with researchers by phone and in person. No numbers crunching beyond keeping departmental statistics (we all know how important those are :rolleyes: ).

Some days my brain would feel fried by evening -- however if it was a cardio morning it had to be complex. It was kind of like warming up my mind (after starting with the Times crossword).

Susan, I think in your situation part of the lure of the outdoors is having some time to yourself -- your house is your mental workplace and you need to leave the building for your lunch break.
I always meant to get back to this to post (I got interrupted and had to wind it up) about my other-than-day-job activity (but I forgot all about it): I'm a painter -- have been one since I can remember. Did MA in creative art and have participated in several group exhibitions in NYC (haven't done much about that part of it since the late 80s though ).

Painting (and drawing) taxes the brain and energy reserves and I need to feed both with lots of yoga. The creative brain seems to like yoga as it's main meal but also gets sustenance from complex choreo and focus from strength. It doesn't like athletic stretch much or athletic choreo. (Of course your own creative brain may need a different diet. )
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-04, 04:57 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

I have one of those very active minds. The only way that I can get away from my work (I'm a librarian, but I currently work in a very stressful environment) or my personal life is to do a workout that does require thinking, and that means complex choreography. And I'm one of those people who picks up choreography quickly, so, on some days, that means really complex choreography.

Of course, I can distract myself by running outside. Just being outside can refresh me in wonderful ways.

The sun is actually shining this afternoon. It's been a while.

Tags
career, complex choreography, getting to know you, mindless workouts