Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-04, 08:35 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

the complexity of your life compared to your workout preferences?

PeggyT ("Peg, Video Buff") said something in another thread which piqued my interest. In Daisy's discussion about "mindless" workouts, Peg said

"I wonder if there is a correlation between what we do for our day jobs and what we want out of a workout. I am an accountant by day and do a lot of number crunching and reconciliations. I don't want to use brain cells when I work out"

I hope you don't mind, Peg, that I'm piggybacking off that.

I used to do a lot of videos and I loved complex choreography. Christi hi/lo is still a favorite of mine and I do it once every week or two. HOWEVER, since I started homeschooling my kids about a year and a half ago, I find myself WALKING for much of my cardio. (Of course, I also moved to PA where it is hilly and a walk can really work you out, compared to Indiana, where I had to jog to get my HR where it neeed to be because IN is so flat!)

Anyway, I find that I am *so* brain-dead after doing so much teaching (is there such a thing as BRAIN hypertrophy, btw? ) that I want to do a simple repetitive motion. I kind of "zen out" when I'm walking outdoors in a way that I just DON'T doing other types of workouts. This change has lasted 18 months now, so I really think it is a permanent part of my landscape.

SO, my question is, do you think your lifestyle/job/etc affects the kind of workouts you like to do? SPECIFICALLY, have you ever had a lifestyle change and found that an exercise style change accompanied it (because that would sort of prove the point, wouldn't it?)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:15 PM  
gypsygirl64

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p
PeggyT ("Peg, Video Buff") said something in another thread which piqued my interest. In Daisy's discussion about "mindless" workouts, Peg said

"I wonder if there is a correlation between what we do for our day jobs and what we want out of a workout. I am an accountant by day and do a lot of number crunching and reconciliations. I don't want to use brain cells when I work out"

I hope you don't mind, Peg, that I'm piggybacking off that.
That is really interesting - I am an accountant too BUT I LOVE the complexity of a new workout, etc. I find it very stimulating to learn new things and I love the sense of satisfaction when I am able to actually do a whole workout (or a major portion) without error.

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:24 PM  
Messe

My job is both brain-intensive and stressful--I'm always on a deadline. I use exercise as a way to de-stress and clear my mind, so I'm not a fan of learning complex (or even semi-complex) choreography. I want to have some brain power (and sanity, LOL!) left for my other interests.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:26 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl64
That is really interesting - I am an accountant too BUT I LOVE the complexity of a new workout, etc. I find it very stimulating to learn new things and I love the sense of satisfaction when I am able to actually do a whole workout (or a major portion) without error.
Another complex choreo loving accountant here. However, I have to say it's not as pleasant now that I'm working...it's not the "work" itself, but the time it takes or lack thereof. I much preferred my complex choreo days when I was just a student.
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:29 PM  
Maria Welters
VF Supporter

You may be on to something...

I used to wake up every morning at 4:00am for my yoga practice. That was Monday thru Friday. I would wake up earlier on Thursday as I had a class I attended after work. I work downtown so that meant driving to work instead of taking the bus. When 5 o'clock would hit, I would rush to the bathroom (at work) change clothes, arrive at my yoga studio for an hour and a half of yoga then head home. After my disc replacement surgery in my neck, all that went by the wayside.

I have a new job now. At times I don't get home till 7pm and I just can't get up earlier than 5:15am. Maybe it's my age (48), maybe it is just that I can't do some of the Asanas anymore, or maybe I lost my desire. I still workout to cardio and weights and always use my yoga experience to stretch out my body after a workout. My back seems to bother me more these days as my hips. (Can you say "falling apart"). My husband and I just laugh it off as there isn't else to do. I am just waiting for my desire for yoga to return, then start a new cycle in my life. I believe we all need that change every few years.

Thanks for the thread.

Maria
(maybe falling apart but hanging on the all the parts)
Maria Welters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:33 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p
SO, my question is, do you think your lifestyle/job/etc affects the kind of workouts you like to do? SPECIFICALLY, have you ever had a lifestyle change and found that an exercise style change accompanied it (because that would sort of prove the point, wouldn't it?)

I think this sort of thing happens with everything in life- as you move along, things change!

But to answer your specific question- yes, I have undergone an extreme workout/ exercise change as a result of my current life situation. In order to provide good medical coverage for my family without spending $2000.00 per month (my husband is self employed with only two employees- just he and I. Medical coverage for the self employed is horrendous!), I started working part time at Trader Joes. Love the job, but 25 hours there and 30 hours for my husband per week means no time to do marathon training, or 1 1/2 hour workouts! I used to love to do a full hour of cardio or strength, followed by 1/2 hour of yoga or stretch. Now, I'm looking for down and dirty, fast workouts, the ones that give me the most bang for my buck! 30-45 minutes tops! And only about 4 times per week, because I'm just too tired otherwise. And, no, I don't want complex anymore, I don't want to think too hard, I just want to get into the zone- be it cardio or strength- as fast as I can. And I do my stretching in the shower! Mulit-tasking all the way.

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 09:47 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My workouts have definitely changed since I changed hours at work. I used to work days and I worked out after work. I liked having a nice tough workout of at least an hour to get the stresses of the work day out of my head. I've been working swing shift since April and now I find that I am liking lighter, shorter workouts in the morning before work. The whole 10 years I was working days (used to work nights before that), I always wanted to go back to nights. But I do find myself missing my evening workouts.
Old 10-31-04, 10:13 PM  
Celia M

I'm the exact opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Edington
My job is both brain-intensive and stressful--I'm always on a deadline. I use exercise as a way to de-stress and clear my mind, so I'm not a fan of learning complex (or even semi-complex) choreography. I want to have some brain power (and sanity, LOL!) left for my other interests.
I too have one of those intense kinds of jobs, that doesn't end when I leave the office, and where the buck stops with me (i.e. endless strategy and details).

But I think that's exactly why I like complex cardio. I need to keep my brain engaged in my workout so I can really block out the other stuff. If I do the simple, "turn off your brain" kinds of tapes, my mind starts to wander to the other work and life details I need to attend to.
Old 10-31-04, 10:20 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

interesting!

In both of my jobs (as a mother and secondly in my professional role) I tend to do a lot of talking/counselling etc.

I love a workout that focuses totally on oneself whether it be pilates, strength training or complex choreo. I just love anything that allows me to go "within" myself, if that makes any sense.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-04, 11:30 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Hmm, this one really got me thinking.

When I first started with video workouts, I was working at a job that wasn't significantly demanding of time or mental/physical energy. I loved and sought out the (for then ) most complex and dancy workouts and enjoyed them.

Time has passed. The choreography bar has definitely been raised, and although I still love it--I did the "cardio crack workout" (thanks Eulonda, if you're reading this) of Step Heaven this morning and loved every second. But sometimes I find myself suffering from choreography fatigue and decide I JUST DON'T WANT to learn or do any more complex steps right then, thank you. I'll even go days without doing any of my fancy choreography workouts at times.

With the passage of time, I got another job that was maximally physically and mentally demanding (not accounting, ICU nurse lol). This job seemed to coincide with the attitude adjustment in the above paragraph.

I have now just moved into another position that promises to be less physically but just as mentally demanding. I wonder how my workout preferences will change in response to this new situation

But I, too, need *something* to engage my mind, even if minimally, while doing cardio. Treadmills, step machines, running, all let me focus on how hard I'm working and start wondering when I can stop :rolleyes: , whereas choreography will distract me from that to an extent.

Interesting question, Susan.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, complex choreography, getting to know you, mindless workouts