Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-04, 12:25 PM  
CrystalLR

Location: Somerset, PA(1 hr. east of Pittsburgh...where Flight#93 crashed)
IMHO, fitness is the "whole picture"...a fit YOU, which includes Body, Mind and spirit. So...I agree!

Crystal
CrystalLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 12:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I think maybe we all have different interpretations of mindless. In this case, I'm taking it differently than I did with Alta's thread. Mindful vs. mindless, to me means something that is sort of a body & soul workout, where you're trying to get a deeper involvement, rather than something that requires thinking, but not that body and soul connection.

You could argue that the concentration required by say, a Christi cardio workout, makes those mindful, but I would still tend to put mindfulness as it relates to yoga in a different category. Sort of relates to the woo-woo factor, I guess.

But honestly, I do yoga for a different mind-body effect than cardio. Oddly enough, I think I do yoga to get more in touch with my mind and body, and other workouts more to just get my mind and body off things that are bothering me.

That was a rather involved train of thought for a Saturday morning...
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 01:07 PM  
CrystalLR

I agree on that one being "involved"! I often tell clients not to "overthink" and I believe that is happening within this thread. I agree there is definitely a difference between mindful and mindless and that everyone's interpretation will differ. As a human we're complex,but as individuals the ways that differs is infinite. When I say "overthink"...I mean, we as humans like to control and when we think to the point of rationalizing ourself/talking ourself out of doing something that becomes overthinking. It can become so much so as to be self-defeating. Exactly opposite of what we intend.

I stand by saying that the wholeness of body, mind, and spirit attained through an improved fitness level by working out is the goal. The steps or the workouts that get us there are individual and go back to what works is that which is consistently done.

Stay safe in getting fit and take care.

Crystal
Old 10-30-04, 02:18 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalLR
I agree on that one being "involved"! I often tell clients not to "overthink" and I believe that is happening within this thread. I agree there is definitely a difference between mindful and mindless and that everyone's interpretation will differ. As a human we're complex,but as individuals the ways that differs is infinite. When I say "overthink"...I mean, we as humans like to control and when we think to the point of rationalizing ourself/talking ourself out of doing something that becomes overthinking. It can become so much so as to be self-defeating. Exactly opposite of what we intend.

I stand by saying that the wholeness of body, mind, and spirit attained through an improved fitness level by working out is the goal. The steps or the workouts that get us there are individual and go back to what works is that which is consistently done.

Stay safe in getting fit and take care.

Crystal
Great post, Crystal. Since we are all unique individuals, our journeys in fitness are our very own journeys.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 03:08 PM  
CrystalLR

Thank you. How cool that it is that way...pretty boring if it were all the same.

Crystal
Old 10-30-04, 03:23 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
Yoga has been totally boring and mindless to me whenever I have tried it!!
Same here! That sleepy music and sleepy droning all puts me to sleep.

If someone made a yoga workout with a lively soundtrack, like the Ramones, I might get into it.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 03:42 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Not to dogpile , but here I agree with points that people have made:

- How are we all using "mindless"? For example, getting into the moment and the movement without having to think about them is not the same thing as doing something without thinking about it.

- "Mindlessness" varies by person. Particularly, especially as someone who has found such benefits with "conventional" exercise, I do admit to disagreeing with and disliking the idea, which I haven't seen explicitly in this thread but have seen occasionally, that only "conventionally" mind-body exercises can give you mind-body benefits, or that anything but what we define as "mind-body" stuff is somehow inferior.

One particular example for me is heavy strength training. I do it in such a way that if distracted, I just don't do quite so well with it, so doing it with concentration is win-win. There are also books about walking and meditation. In fact, I try not to do anything that I consider truly "mindless." (I don't have a comprehensive definition, but one example is anything that distracts me enough to dissipate my inner attention. BTW, I can be mindful in a room or a field full of people; I can sometimes be un-mindful by myself.)

BTW, somewhat like Pratima, I do try to include a "deeper involvement," but then again I consider things like concentration to be "deeper involvements" in themselves if done in a certain way. For example, I include even something as (deceptively?) simple and (seemingly?) easy as being in the moment without being distracted by the past, the future, things far away, or things within you (like that "overthinking"). Of course, this stuff can merit an interesting discussion on its own.

Of course, "boring" also varies by person.

- Even "mindless" can do well. I've read (a few) articles from people who say that "mindless" versions of aerobic activity--they use "mindless" for forms in which you can read, watch unrelated TV, or be otherwise distracted--are Bad and To Be avoided, but here I'm not really a purist and wouldn't say that they're necessarily going all that "wrong." I say this especially for people who, at this point, probably wouldn't exercise otherwise.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 03:44 PM  
Aline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelfling
A "mindless" workout can provide a very deep emotional, physical and stress release and that can put your mind in the same zone as yoga or meditation.
well said, Lisa. I have experienced this too. And like Suebella, not only with yoga and outdoors/repetitive cardio-type training, but also with weightlifting. I think "mindless" is a state of mind and varies with the individual. Many things can be done mindfully. I'm not a complex choreography lover but am not going to call it mindless just because I don't like it. Yoga is my primary exercise love but that doesn't mean all else is mindless (unless I choose to do it in that way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal
If your goal is to become more flexible and strong, especially in a core sense, and not add to bone density or cardio vascular conditioning to the optimum, then yoga may fit you. Just keep in mind that by doing only one form of exercise you are missing out on the "whole picture"
I'm not totally disagreeing with you but this statement is *very* debatable (and has been debated of course on VF among other places)
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 04:44 PM  
antbuko

WOW! I agree with what EVERYODY said. I think even a simple step aerobic workout requires a lot of brain power. I'm not just flailing my arms and legs around aimlessly (well, not all the time anyway), I'm placing them exactly where I want them to go. I'm watching my form, engaging my core, extending my muscles, getting the most out of the workout. And then when I do a mindless video that I know so well, I like how I can get real introspective and kinda forget that I'm even working out at all because I'm so deep in thought.

I've only tried Yoga halfheartedly, quitting too soon out of frustration. I found my self grunting and struggling with it. When I'm ready to give it a serious try, I'll do the research, pick a video and start again.
Old 10-30-04, 05:06 PM  
Daisyglow

Okay I agree.....

with alot of points everyone made. I guess the workouts do exercise your mind or let you zone out and relax. And I agree with whoever said that you can hurt yourself if you really are mindless. I can't understand people I used to see at the gym who watch tv as they work out. What is that about???!@!???
I was just depressed not to see more on yoga on this forum.
I have done lots of types of working out but for me yoga gave me something extra that years of other workouts never gave me so it is pretty special to me right now.
Thanks everyone for your insights!
Daisy
Daisyglow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, mindless workouts