Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-04, 07:51 AM  
Daisyglow

mindless workouts

I don't understand how anyone can do these mindless workouts. So boring! Steps? Aerobics?
Maybe it is because I am in my thirties I feel the need of something a little deeper and that is why I am more drawn to something with more dimension like yoga.
I guess maybe you do need to do something a little more in addition to yoga - it just all feels so....empty.
sorry for the rant
Daisyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 08:04 AM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Daisyglow,
A "mindless" workout can provide a very deep emotional, physical and stress release and that can put your mind in the same zone as yoga or meditation. A good walk or run will also do the same but when the weather is bad for example, a good indoor workout will do the same job.

Taking your comment even further, let me give you a few more examples: Christi Taylor's Step Heaven and Hi-Lo Heaven - two workouts which really improve your mood which makes you a better person to be around. Yep. A better mood does make you a better person at least for a little while. These workouts also make you need to concentrate - concentration is beneficial right? Right.

Cathe Friedrich's Slow & Heavy - a slow meditative strength workout. Good for improving strength and good for concentration.

I realise you are having a rant but your post comes across as this: "Only yoga is worthwhile and all other exercise is superficial" - it also implies that anyone pursuing other things is also superficial.

I *love* yoga and I am in my 30s but I do not not share your attitute to exercise.
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 10-30-04, 08:12 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Well, I'm 59 and am certainly devoted to my yoga practice but I like to add some strength training to help my yoga and to help my bones. I like choreography in part because I believe it helps my brain. And I love walking outdoors -- it's moving meditation. My mind is active through all of these activities. Of course everything comes together for me in yoga and it is the only discipline I'm serious about -- and actually it's a lot more than exercise. But the other stuff counts.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 08:43 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Walking = Moving Meditation

I really like that.

I find strength training, particularly heavy strength training, a type of meditation too.

And cardio can bring a rush of exhilaration that is almost spiritual to me.

I love yoga, too. Even when I'm just doing it for the physical benefits.

All that said, I have to say that most of the time I'm not looking for anything more than a good workout.

I guess I find it hard to be noble about my exercising all the time. High ideals are hard to live out all day, every day! Some days I'm just a girl who wants to have fun.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 08:58 AM  
renee mcfar

I am 34 yrs old and not found aerobics or step to be mindless. If you are not using your mind during these workouts you will end up hurting yourself. Lose your focus during step and you will end up on your behind nursing a twisted ankle! Studies have shown that aerobic exercise in some form, areobics,step,walking running,etc.., is very helpful in preventing bone loss as we get older. That's something that starts even in your 30's.

Perhaps you hae not found the right type of aerobic exercise for you.If you like yoga, you might like kickboxing or some type of exercise where form is very important. Renee
renee mcfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 09:19 AM  
Rose031

Wow

I'm hoping that this is one of those cases where reading something comes across much different then it would if you could see or hear the person.

I don't think aerobics and step are boring or mindless at all. Quite the contrary. Mindless exercise to me is more treadmill walking or stationary cycling (not spinning). If you can do it while reading a magazine, then it's mindless.

Rose
Old 10-30-04, 09:25 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Well, I'm 59 and am certainly devoted to my yoga practice but I like to add some strength training to help my yoga and to help my bones. I like choreography in part because I believe it helps my brain. And I love walking outdoors -- it's moving meditation. My mind is active through all of these activities. Of course everything comes together for me in yoga and it is the only discipline I'm serious about -- and actually it's a lot more than exercise. But the other stuff counts.
Hi Sharon. Like you, I feel choreography helps my brain. I like to compare it to doing a crossword puzzle. For me, I'd much rather do a Christi workout than the New York Times crossword puzzle.

I've never thought of aerobics of any nature, as mindless. I love how my body feels while it's moving. I love a wide range of aerobics, from basic choreography to running. Each works my body and mind in a different way.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 09:29 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

And....

doing mindless exercise (reading with stationary biking) has it's merits, too. Sometimes, it's just what you need. Other times, you'd rather be hung by your toenails. I think we all do what we FEEL like doing most of the time (exercise that is) and that in itself is healing to the person. I switch it up all the time based on "what feels good" on a particular day. Alexis
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 09:31 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Stout
Hi Sharon. Like you, I feel choreography helps my brain. I like to compare it to doing a crossword puzzle. For me, I'd much rather do a Christi workout than the New York Times crossword puzzle.
Hi Debbie, I associate choreography with crosswords too -- of course, I like to do both complex choreo and the New York Times crossword...but I'm a complete dork.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 09:34 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

It's good that yoga works for you. Many of us don't find step or aerobics boring or mindless at all - they can be stimulating, fun and energizing as well as making one aware of breathing, body, mind and strength...just like yoga.

Allison
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, mindless workouts