Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-04, 05:55 PM  
Rose031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I ought to add that I found out my choreo difficulties stem from having mild dyslexia. (Doesn't help my typing either!) I have trouble with the concepts of "left" and "right". Sometimes I have to look at my hands!
Me too! But not because I'm dyslexic, but because I spent my childhood being told "Your right is the hand you write with." but I'm left handed. I still have to stop and think when someone says 'right' or 'left', and almost always give directions 'turn my way' or 'turn your way' because I don't trust myself with the terms.

That being said, I am great with dancy choreography, I miss it. It's hard to find dancy choreo with beginner intensity.

Rose
Old 10-24-04, 06:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose031
Me too! But not because I'm dyslexic, but because I spent my childhood being told "Your right is the hand you write with." but I'm left handed.
Gee Rose, you didn't go to my Catholic School, did you? The nuns forced all southpaws to write with their right hands. Using a crack on the knuckles with a ruler to reinforce the concept.

ETA: I'm right-handed.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 06:10 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose031
Me too! But not because I'm dyslexic, but because I spent my childhood being told "Your right is the hand you write with." but I'm left handed. I still have to stop and think when someone says 'right' or 'left', and almost always give directions 'turn my way' or 'turn your way' because I don't trust myself with the terms.Rose
I was forced to write right-handed and my choreo skills are pretty good, so I don't think that theory holds true...at least for me. BTW, I rebelled. Today I write left-handed and with my paper titled to the right. *gasp*
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 06:29 PM  
Rose031

Yup, went to Catholic school

Yup I went to Catholic school, but I was allowed to use my left-hand, but was also told the whole "right is the hand you write with" so before I knew better, I thought that was the 'right'. It's like if when you first see an orange, and your told over and over that it's a pear. Even years later, when you find out it's an orange, each time you see one, first instinct is to think "pear". Or so said my college psych. teacher.

I agree with the "it's relative" thing. When I see a review that says the choreography is 'basic' or 'athletic' I automatically think 'repetative'. If I can do the choreography from beginning to end the first time, I'm probably bored to pieces and won't be reaching to do it again anytime soon. But that's just me, I really need to be forced to focus to keep a cardio workout enjoyable or my mind will wander and I'll get restless (if that makes any sense). But I think that also has to do with the fact that I don't enjoy cardio as a general rule. If I didn't know I needed it, I'd just lift weights and skip it entirely.
Old 10-24-04, 07:41 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

After reading through the whole thread, I'll have to change myself to one who likes and can get moderate choreography, but who is klutzy all the time (exercising and life in general.) Now that I've read other people's explanations, I don't quite fit in the basic only category or the complex only category.

I think my biggest problem was in trying workouts that had choreography that was too complex for me at that time. I like Cathe's workouts and style, but I had never worked my way through all of her videos like many others had, so I couldn't get it the first few times. I had to go back to the beginning so to speak and learn that first. Of course, I'm still in the moderate Cathe category--I am not going to try Rythmic Step, All Step, etc as I have no desire to learn them after the reviews, clips and comments on them. I have worked my way through Step Heat, Body Max, Power Circuit, Kickbox and KPC (waiting for Cardio Kicks to arrive in the mail) and am currently on IMAX. When I have mastered this, I will get the Cardio & Weights/IMAX 2 DVD and work my way through that a little bit at a time. Cardio & Weights was beyond me when I first tried it, but having practiced more and gotten more choreo down, I think I will be able to conquer it sometime in 2005. I have ordered the high step and kickboxing workouts from the Hardcore Series and will wait for reviews on the rest to decide if I need them.

So, like others have said, this approach is what works for me, but it is no better than anyone else's approach .
Old 10-25-04, 01:35 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I ought to add that I found out my choreo difficulties stem from having mild dyslexia.
So--your name is really Lata? Sorry. ..Hanging head in shame

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 06:17 AM  
Kyra

Hm. I guess, after reading this through (interesting reading!), I also have to say I'm probably not as choreo challanged as I thought I was. I'd more categorize myself as choreo impatient (but still somewhat impaired). I find it not worth my workout time to learn dance steps; I just want to work! I probably get kickboxing/boxing quickly enough to keep me happy b/c there really are just so many moves and the sequences tend to be short.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 06:29 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy
I'm kind of an enigma. A while back I tripped over something in the road and fell while I was running. It's running for Pete's sake! All you do is put one foot in front of the other and I fell.
I'll do you one better. I was WALKING and right in the middle of the street one leg decided to buckle and down I went. I just sat there stunned. A stranger just lifted me up and continued on his way as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Very embarrassing.

Anyone ever try to learn Tai Chi when the moves are not mirrored. Talk about confusing!!

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 11:16 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
I was wondering if part of the difference between self-described klutzes and others is a standard of perfection?
Certainly not in my case, unless by perfection you mean I am still somewhat upright and moving while the people onscreen are too? With choreo that I don't get, I really don't get it. And, like many have pointed out, it's a matter of what you think is fun and what is just a waste of time.

I noticed that Keli has an odd count in Ultimate Step and she starts combos on the "wrong" side that for some reason works for me, but I can see where it would mess up others.

As for Ultimate Step and Fitness Formula being stepping stones to Christy and others... ha! I mastered US and FF after many, many tries (though I still mess up often) and that is where I remain to this day.
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 11:54 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Talking How could I have missed this thread?

My definition of simple choreography:

Marching, walking or running in place.

Anything else is complex.

And that's the truth!

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, walkblaster