Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-04, 08:30 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I have to wonder if self proclaimed "choreo klutzes" are really that or if they are just "normal." Just how many people out there in the general populace could really pick up all these workout moves in just a couple of tries?
Alan, I think I love you!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:32 PM  
TerryMia

Had to jump in on this thread...I always used to consider myself a choreo klutz...but I was determined to learn Cathe step, lol...I actually started with the Kathy Smith step tape, then ordered Mega Step Blast...after that I went ahead and ordered the Cardio & Weights/Imax 2 DVD (since I already had the rest of the Intensity Series anyway, except Terminator)...and started with C&W Timesaver Step...once I had that mastered (which didn't take as long as I thought), I started tackling Imax 2 section by section (adding a section at the end of my workout each day) until I just got it and it clicked! Once I had Imax 2 down, I was able to pick up most of her other stuff (including Step Blast, which rivals Imax 2 as my fave step workout of all time) and now I've just tackled my first Christi workout (Funktional Fitness). Though I hear it's a bit easier than her usual stuff, I got quite a bit of her choreo on my first try...so...for me, at least...I guess I had myself pegged wrong all those years, lol! I just enjoy myself...even if I don't get it all the first (or second, third, etc.) time, I just sort of wing it until I do and still get a great workout!
TerryMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 09:00 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Count me among the choreo impaired...

I'm a good dancer but cannot get choreo down without LOTS of practice. Step Heat and Step Max took me about ten times each to learn and I still get wrong-footed. I'm eyeing Step Jam now as my November project. I'm fine on right/left as long as I face front; it's when I have to turn around (or go over the step and then turn around) that I'm in trouble. I also have zero memory for moves - Cathe can teach me three easy new moves and I'll get them, but when she puts them in a combination, my brain says "what's this? what comes next? I've never done this - I'm lost!"

My idea of easy choreo is the first Step Reebok video, and even that took me a number of tries to get down.

Allison
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 09:28 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

I'm kind of an enigma. A while back I tripped over something in the road and fell while I was running. It's running for Pete's sake! All you do is put one foot in front of the other and I fell. And I'm directionally challenged. Earlier this week I used my left turn signal when I was turning right onto my street...the same street I've been turning onto for 16 years...and coming from that direction my house has always been a right turn. BUT...I can eventually get Kari's, Christi's and Franny's choreography. And I actually got FUNKtional Fitness the first try. My first complex carido was Kari's DanceWorks. I almost traded it after previewing it. At first I thought, "It will take a while, but I'll eventually get that." Then she said we were finished with the warm up! It's just that those 3 instructors are so much fun (Christi singing her cues always makes me smile) I made myself learn the choreography. Now if I can just get that to transfer into real life. Hmm...I guess I'm a klutzey, directionally impaired choreo queen.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 12:57 AM  
archiesgirl

I am a moderate clutz. I can relatively master Cathe workouts after doing them several times, but there is NO WAY I could ever do Christy Taylor!
archiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 05:52 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I am totally choreography challaged!! However the swaps has allowed me to try several workouts without losing my alot of $$ ! The only Cathe I ever do is S,J&P and IMAX 2 (have'nt tried that yet) and Cardio & Weights (still can't get all of that one yet) Love Leslie's workouts because I can modify with a step or rebounder and can get most of Taebo. Tried Christi but leave her completely alone as well as alot of the others. I do have Intense Moves and Gin's Simply Step (which is really what it says it is ) Maybe that is why I LOOVE Spinervals, totally intense but still "just cycling".

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 06:31 AM  
Southernsquash
VF Supporter

Alta, I Love Your Honesty!!!!

I am also dyslexic. I also look at my hands occasionally for right and left (if I didn't have a wedding ring on I would be in trouble). Lately I have been in a buying frenzy of Cathe's and Christie's. I am wearing myself out to keep up with these instructors. I am determined to keep trying. I really think that working on atleast one difficult workout is really good exercise for your brain .

Here are some workouts I love for their simplicity, KS Step Workout (this is an oldie but goodie), Firm Tough Cardio Mix (I always skip the Fat Blaster Section). I love Leslie Sansone for her simplicity. If you can stand Denise Austin I find her Kickboxing Workouts are easy to learn. I love Cathe's Basic Step, and High Step Circut. The Firm was always easy for me to learn. I know if you want higher intensity these are probably not great for you, but I find I can be impaired intensity wise. I can do a hard workout 1 or 2 days a week, but then I find I wear myself out if I keep trying to push it.

Sasha
Southernsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 07:07 AM  
treasaigh

Alta - I'm not a choreo queen, but more of a lady in waiting. But I can see how challenging choreo would be more frustrating than, say, a video with higher intensity than you want. You can modify intensity so easily (I always do), but with choreo - you'll end up doing a different routine, so what's the point in buying that video?

I don't know how much of my coordination is genetic, but looking at my mother, I really don't think I could have inherited it from her. I took dance lessons as a child. I've always wondered if there is some connection. I suppose this wouldn't have an effect on kids with dyslexia, however.
Old 10-23-04, 09:14 AM  
EileenS
VF Supporter

I love complex choreography but never get it on the first few tries. However, I'm very happy modifying. The left/right thing is very troublesome for me, too, so I have to watch the tv to see where they workout is going. Instructors that say "watch me!" or point the direction are my best friends

As soon as they go over the step, though, I'm lost! Until I get the moves down better, I just march in place until they come back and join me on the obviously correct side of the step! Once I know the moves better, I can go over the step with some hope of arriving back on the other side. I just love the mental challenge of the choreography, and its just plain cussedness that makes me learn things like Christi's 9801!
Old 10-23-04, 09:24 AM  
new2me

Choreo Klutz here!! Today I wanted to try Christi's new Funktional Fitness workout (ordered it because it said it was supposed to be easier choreography)...I started out by trying a couple of the MOVEMASTER segments. HA!!! Even with Christi turned the same way, I couldn't follow the first two combos in the MOVEMASTER! However, I will say that I did push through the workout and while I often found myself staring at the screen and scratching my head, I did get a good workout in, lol.

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, walkblaster