Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-04, 07:48 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

That's why when I post reviews, I always try to offer a context and indicate what other similar workouts I have tried

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 07:48 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Alta, I'm left/right impaired too, but for whatever reason, my brain just gets choreography. And you are right, I just can't understand what it would be like to not be that way. I don't think I've written any reviews for anything that has choreo involved.
Old 10-22-04, 07:51 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

I was just thinking this the other day when I saw some recommendations for simple choreo...simple for who? I had been thinking of starting a thread along the same line, like "What do you consider simple choreography?" So many of the things I see recommended are things I know I cannot do, because I have tried and finally decided that I'd rather have a good workout than spend hours learning to do stuff that is too difficult (in my case that is the same as dancey) for me.

I should admit here that it took several tries to learn Keli Roberts Ult. Step. I finally got Step Heat and Body Max, too, and it took a long time (maybe 10 tries) and this was the only time I felt like any kind of "Stepping Queen." I promptly sold Cardio Hits because it is too much to learn. I tried Cathe's Timesaver DVD and finally quit trying there as I could only get KPC and warm-up plus the first step section of SJP...again, too much to learn. I am working on learning IMAX (warm-up and intervals 1-3) right now, but have had to take the step height to 4 in to make sure I don't seriously injure myself doing it. (Did I mention I'm kind of uncoordinated, too?) And I'll have to keep learning it a few intervals at a time, not because I can't do high intensity, but because I have a choreography threshold. I like the clips of Christi's workouts--she seems very personable and she even seems to cue far enough in advance. I know I'm never going to try them...pivots, turns, etc. and there is no "Choreography 101" video that is ever going to teach me how to do what she is doing.
Old 10-22-04, 07:55 PM  
mlsp

Alta, I know exactly what you're saying. I bet I'm a good rival for queen of the choreo klutzes. I have tried so many workouts recommended for their simple choreography and been totally frustrated. I have been working out for a long time, so I'm not a beginner. This isn't something I will outgrow. It's just the way I am. It's funny you should mention the dancing thing, because I'm the opposite and I always thought that was why I couldn't grasp choreography. I have no rhythm at all. I never even notice music in a workout and couldn't keep to the beat if my life depended on it.

I've often wondered how many of us (choreo klutzes) there are. I can think of a few off the top of my head. It seems as if almost all new workouts these days are fancier and more complicated. I am almost never interested in a new release cardio workout because I know it will most likely be beyond my abilities.

I just ordered an oldie, Kathy Smith Great Buns and Thighs Step Workout, because you had a review stating it was easy enough for a choreo klutz. Almost all of my new purchases these days are really old tapes.

I would love to know if Leslie's new walkblaster workouts are easy enough for a confirmed klutz, so if you do break down and get them, you'll have to let the rest of us klutzes know. I noticed you have been expressing a little bit of interest. I'll await the reviews.

Mary
mlsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:04 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

I just have to add that I know I look awful when I dance and never notice workout music either unless it is something I can sing to...imagine my embarassment if anyone should see me working out and singing . I am getting better with choreography, but always look for athletic, simple, basic, etc in the reviews and descriptions.

There are many steps that I don't do and always use a substitution for. Ball change, pony and a few others. You'd think they'd be simple since you barely move, but I just can't get the foot placement.

Mary, Great Buns & Thighs should be perfect for you. I haven't seen the WalkBlaster, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard of choreography. I only say this because I did a Leslie video the other day and she said, "We're not here to learn dance steps."
Old 10-22-04, 08:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsp
I just ordered an oldie, Kathy Smith Great Buns and Thighs Step Workout, because you had a review stating it was easy enough for a choreo klutz. Almost all of my new purchases these days are really old tapes.

I would love to know if Leslie's new walkblaster workouts are easy enough for a confirmed klutz, so if you do break down and get them, you'll have to let the rest of us klutzes know.
Mary, have you tried GB&T yet? Do you like it?

I am tempted by Leslie's Walkblaster. I read that she doesn't mirror cue with the colors, as Gin does in her Ramp videos. That might be a problem and I am hesitant to order.

I am SOOOOOO tempted by Gin's new "Simply Step". The clips look a bit tricky for me. I'd hate to buy it and be disappointed - yet again.

:rolleyes:

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:10 PM  
Messe

I'm left/right impaired and choreo impaired. Complex choreography for me is when Billy Blanks does a combo that doesn't fit the 8-count. Fortunately his combos don't last long, so I'm not out of sync for very long. I decided a few years ago that I didn't want to try to learn choreography any more. It's just not fun, and I'm not going to spend my workout time doing anything that's not fun.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:14 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

I do think there's hope for some choreo klutzes, though! When I first started exercising at home with videos, I was pretty choreo challenged. I have a modest dance background but was still utterly befuddled by Still Jumpin' the first time. I don't recall how much time it took me to catch on to SJ, but I know it took effort.

If floor aerobics were hard, step completely intimidated me. I owe Kari Anderson a debt of gratitude for United Steps, as it helped me get over my intimidation. I learned how to feel comfortable going over and around the step, having my back to the TV, and placing the step vertically rather than horizontally. She gave me the courage to try Christi's step workouts and progress from there.

In a year's time, I was doing fairly complex choreo without just giving up. I learned to keep moving, get the feet down first, and not to be concerned if I don't do every turn or pivot each time. If I trip over the step, no one sees me at home. It's all good, you know? I've even gotten to the point where I understand why the choreo queens are frustrated by TIFTTing, even though it doesn't personally bug me that much.

Still, there are plenty of days and weeks I don't want to deal with complex choreo at all. I just like that I have a greater range of workouts to choose from now. I do sympathize with those who just plain old don't have it in them, as it limits your choices. BTW, I find Collage's recommendations about chroeo and level pretty subjective and somewhat unreliable. I generally do a lot of reading before I buy and try to take all the reviews with a proverbial grain of salt, looking for specifics over opinion. I'm not a bandwagon jumper, but I do fear I've missed out at times.

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:22 PM  
Alan

I have to wonder if self proclaimed "choreo klutzes" are really that or if they are just "normal." Just how many people out there in the general populace could really pick up all these workout moves in just a couple of tries?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 08:27 PM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

Context is everything

So much is relative: intensity, complexity, "results," etc. when it comes to workouts. For what it's worth, for choreo queens, complexity perception waxes and wanes just like intensity. If I'm at all brain-impaired, you can just forget Patrick! If I'm running on all cylinders ( well fed, rested, and no kids interrupting every 5 minute ) watch out! I'm spinning like a top!

I think providing a context to your comments helps a lot. I always acknowledge my choreo addiction when I'm reviewing, whether it's in a post or an "official" review.

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, walkblaster