Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-04, 06:23 PM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

I prefer that everyone does all the reps. The instructors and background exercisers must rehearse over and over. Why aren't form problems in background exercisers corrected in rehearsal? Debbie's are absolutely the worst. I can't believe their form sometimes. Didn't someone teach them how to do the workout before filming?

Personally, I think it reflects badly on the instructor if he/she has to correct his/her background exercisers constantly. What kind of teacher are you if your own students after rehearsing countless times STILL can't get it right ???!!!

It is one thing to give form pointers and to demonstrate what you should NOT do. But to have to stop the workout to correct your students? Completely unprofessional IMHO. I don't like it one bit.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 06:31 PM  
Jennifer V

I prefer to see the instructor doing all the reps in aworkout. If s/he wants to point out bad form, why stop? I like that I've seen Cathe say and show, "Do not do this...this is incorrect". It doesn't reflect badly on her/his background exercisers, and it lets me know s/he is aware of how to cheat a move or how to correct oneself when fatigue sets in. I also find that when an instructor pauses to correct someone else on video it breaks the flow of the workout.
Jennifer V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 07:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
OK, I don't get it. I've been hearing about certain video instructors using bad form in their videos. If this is the case, why to people keep buying their programs????????
OK - my favorite instructor is Debbie Seibers. No on can say that her form is that great on many exercises. Her kickboxing "technique" is laughable. Even when she corrects the background exercisrs, their form is still bad.

Why, oh why, do I still buy her workouts????????

A) She has a great figure and personality. She is terrific in my book!

B) I can follow her moves with little mental effort on my part. (Always a plus!)

C) I know what I am doing by now and just do the exercises correctly or modify any that I don't like.

D) Her workouts are very effective for me and I was thrilled with my figure when I did a Slim In 6/Slim Series rotation. I actually developed a four-pack!

E) There is not much dreadful whooping in her workouts. No "OWWWWWWWWs" or "AAACCCKKKS" or "UUUUHHHH HUUUUHH"s.

I will buy any workouts she makes!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:59 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer V
I prefer to see the instructor doing all the reps in aworkout. If s/he wants to point out bad form, why stop? I like that I've seen Cathe say and show, "Do not do this...this is incorrect". It doesn't reflect badly on her/his background exercisers, and it lets me know s/he is aware of how to cheat a move or how to correct oneself when fatigue sets in. I also find that when an instructor pauses to correct someone else on video it breaks the flow of the workout.
I agree with this statement. Cathe does the right thing.
Old 10-16-04, 01:18 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Instructors (or coaches) in most physical endeavours do not do the activity along with their students. They usually instruct from the side lines. Sometimes they will demonstrate, but often they don't even do that.

Dance instructors will sometimes do a few steps to show what they want, but they generally don't stand in front of the class and do everything the class does while the class does it.
Old 10-16-04, 01:48 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S.
I had it! I also had the Campitelli for Men tape. (Same format.) You're right, these are very good. I liked the no-nonsense, get-it-over-with approach.
Wow! Two people that heard of him! Shoulda known it would be a VFer. I like the 10 minutes a day.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 07:44 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

For me, it depends on the instructor...

....or perhaps on the workout.

When I first did the SS it used to drive me wacko when Debbie would say, "...this is a good time for a break..." and put down her weights. I thought I should do the same and it always took a minute for me to realize that she was dropping her weights to go correct the background exercisers.

I didn't mind it AT ALL when Tony did it in P90X.

P90X is designed more as a "trainer/pupil" workout and SS is a "class style workout". I don't expect an instructor in class to stop working out.

As far as buying workouts where the instructor periodically has bad form, I think that it would impossible to find a workout where the form on an instructor or background exerciser is entirely perfect. Maybe Karen Voight - but I don't want to do her workouts exclusively.

I do think that - at least in the SS -- the background exercisers had bad form on purpose, to allow Debbie to instruct.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 11:01 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
Instructors (or coaches) in most physical endeavours do not do the activity along with their students. They usually instruct from the side lines. Sometimes they will demonstrate, but often they don't even do that.
This is such a good point. Never once did I see Olympic gymnist coach Bela Karolyi on the balance beam. Nor does his wife, who has taken his place, twirl around on the uneven bars. What a sight that would be.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 11:45 AM  
ducky

I don't really mind it when the instructor corrects form during the workout. There have been good points made about the trainer/student setup. I think when vidoes are designed this way they are trying to show common mistakes and how to correct them. On the other hand I don't really like it when the instructor leaves their spot, it throws off the rhythm and they undoubtably take longer to explain the corrections than it takes to do the set. I usually tune out and think "ok great, here comes 10 extra seconds" or something.
ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 12:35 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Agreed - but video fitness instructors are selling THEMSELVES - THEIR bodies, THEIR looks, THEIR fitness ability (presumably achieved by)THEIR fitness plans - not just their ability to tell us how to do an exercise program.
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves