Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-04, 02:47 PM  
Dawn3

An instructor who comes to mind on this topic is Jerry James in the Champion Rebounding (first video), he starts off teaching the "class" and doesn't have a rebounder, he builds up the routine and once the routine is built is when he jumps in (about 25 minutes later). During the build-up he has you do an endless set of half turns each time you TIFT. Ironically though when he is doing the actual workout with you, the number of reps used in that piece is dropped by more than 1/2---I'm always saying to the TV at that point "oh you can't handle that many huh, a little different being on the rebounder?"
Dawn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 04:07 PM  
Kim
VF Supporter

I usually have my eyes glued on the instructor, and when he/she stops, it kind of startles me and I'll tend to stop for a second or almost stop until I realize that you're supposed to keep going, LOL (at least until I've done the workout a couple of times).

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 05:25 PM  
monkeyflower

I don't really mind when an instructor stops, especially when I do a video over and over and come to expect it. Some of you are definitely right about the instructor losing count, though. My favorite example is Kathy Smith in (I think) Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2 -- she actually asks "how many more?" when she goes back to lifting. I never could figure out if she meant it and was asking someone off camera or not. You'd think that they could edit out such a blatant error!

Katie
monkeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 05:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
Well I don't lift to videos/DVDs. But when I've taken conditioning classes, I've MUCH preferred instructors who walk around coaching class members. That includes spin classes. In fact, I'd be very happy if the instructor NEVER did any of the exercises/stayed
Good point, Karen. I'm think this is why I've clicked with Coach Troy.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 05:48 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer it if it means that I get better form pointers, and the instructor concentrates on instructing, and not on what THEY are doing.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 05:51 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela
if an instructor has lousy form on something and then corrects someone in how to use their bad form. (Debbie Siebers and her kicks. Yeesh)

Or even after the instructor corrects the background exercisers horrible form, the bg exerciser still uses it. (Judy in one of the slim series)
And Debbie Siebers and her upright rows.
And Debbie Siebers "correcting" Ashely's bad (even dangerous) form on deadlifts, but letting her keep on using bad form.

Old 10-15-04, 05:53 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Elliott
The one that drives me nuts is Cedie in PS BBA. They are doing the bicep curl with the rotation at the top and Cedie's form is absolutely horrendous.
ANd Cedie's form doing hover squat pulses in HSTA. I can just hear her knees going "screetch, screetch, screetch" as they jut far over her toes.

Old 10-15-04, 06:03 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

'Splain something to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela
if an instructor has lousy form on something and then corrects someone in how to use their bad form.
OK, I don't get it. I've been hearing about certain video instructors using bad form in their videos. If this is the case, why to people keep buying their programs???????? This question is not addressed specifically to Leela. Please, anyone, chime in and explain it!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 06:04 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabrudigam
I appreciate it when an instructor gives form pointers. Some don't. My second weight lifting vid (after doing a wimpy one for "seniors") was Frank Campitelli's "Advanced 10 Minute Speed Exercise Method for Women" In it, Mr. Campitelli instructs the one (and only) exerciser throughout the video, constantly giving form pointers and demonstrating what NOT to do. He never picked up a weight. Did I care? No. It was perfect for me as a beginner #1 because I only had to workout 10 minutes a day and #2 I learned a lot about form. I had heard "bend from the hip, not from the waist" before, but couldn't figure out how to do it 'til this tape. It's a 1998 video that I found at Goodwill and I don't know anyone other than myself that's ever heard of it and I don't think he made any more because I've searched and found none. I don't think I ever would have stuck with weight lifting had I not found this vid. For $1.99 it still the best investment I ever made, other than my rebounder, of course.

Nancy
I had it! I also had the Campitelli for Men tape. (Same format.) You're right, these are very good. I liked the no-nonsense, get-it-over-with approach.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 06:11 PM  
Alan

I have no problems with an instructor not doing any reps at all. I don't like it when an instructor does a few reps just to show off.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves