Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-04, 12:26 PM  
Videophile

My take

I appreciate it when an instructor gives form pointers. Some don't. My second weight lifting vid (after doing a wimpy one for "seniors") was Frank Campitelli's "Advanced 10 Minute Speed Exercise Method for Women" In it, Mr. Campitelli instructs the one (and only) exerciser throughout the video, constantly giving form pointers and demonstrating what NOT to do. He never picked up a weight. Did I care? No. It was perfect for me as a beginner #1 because I only had to workout 10 minutes a day and #2 I learned a lot about form. I had heard "bend from the hip, not from the waist" before, but couldn't figure out how to do it 'til this tape. It's a 1998 video that I found at Goodwill and I don't know anyone other than myself that's ever heard of it and I don't think he made any more because I've searched and found none. I don't think I ever would have stuck with weight lifting had I not found this vid. For $1.99 it still the best investment I ever made, other than my rebounder, of course.

Now that I'm doing Power 90 I still appreciate Tony stopping to give form pointers because some of us, as relative beginners, need these reminders.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 12:47 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare*
If they need a break, I graciously allow them one. And if I need a break, not one instructor has complained yet!
LOL! Good point Clare.

I guess I never thought about it that way.

But do they always have to take breaks in the same part of the workout? Everytime I do the tape?
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 12:47 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I like it when the instructor completes all the reps. It makes me think they designed the workout intelligently - figuring out what exercises are effective and deciding how to challenge the exerciser to failure but not to the point of pain or injury. Heck, if the instructor can't complete the workout, why should I?

Also, it helps to see the instructor sweat and struggle right along with you. I really appreciate Cathe on this - her comments when SHE'S struggling acknowledge that I'M struggling too but I can get through it. In one of her floor leg workouts, after a rest after 32 legs lifts, she starts the next set and says "oooh, it kicks in right away", which is just what I'm thinking. In Pyramid Upper she talks you through that tough biceps section, and of course there's her classic line in Imax2 - "I know you're tired, but jump HIGHER." It helps so much for an instructor to acknowlege that - you know they're working along with you, not pausing every minute for a makeup and hair adjustment and sweat wipedown.

Allison
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 12:52 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette
But do they always have to take breaks in the same part of the workout? Everytime I do the tape?
Let me know if you see them start taking breaks in different parts of the workout so I can call the little men in white coats to carry you away.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 01:07 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Form pointers

Yes, I agree that I'd rather have form pointers, even if that means that the instructor has to stop and move around the room. I often find myself losing my form and needing to be reminded, even after 13 years of video exercising. For example, today during Legs&Back, Dreya's arms were dropping during one of the exercises, and Tony reminded both of us to lift our arms higher.

I assume some of the background exercisers use bad form on purpose, so that they can be corrected, but often the corrections never occur!

Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 01:19 PM  
Michelle
VF Supporter

I couldn't care less whether the instructor gets a good workout during *my* workout session. In fact, I'd rather he or she give me form pointers, show what to avoid, etc.

"You must do what you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 01:46 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
That's just one of the things that made my DH nuts during the rotation. Tony would pick up a real show-off weight and then just do three reps. And go and instruct. To be honest, his form isn't always that great.
That really bugs me too. Everyone else on the videos seems to have pretty good form, but when Tony shows off his form goes south. In a few of the workouts (I don't remember if it's strength or cardio) he even says something like "Momentum is your friend." But using momentum usually makes the exercise easier.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 01:53 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Well I don't lift to videos/DVDs. But when I've taken conditioning classes, I've MUCH preferred instructors who walk around coaching class members. That includes spin classes. In fact, I'd be very happy if the instructor NEVER did any of the exercises/stayed off the bike the whole time. It's my w/o, not the instructor's.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 02:06 PM  
bluecaffeine

I don't mind it unless they lose count and make me work one side more than the other.

What really gets annoying to me, though, is when an instructor is lifting this itty bitty weight and pretending that it's hard. Come on, I know it's not hard for you. Don't pretend on my account!!
bluecaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 02:09 PM  
vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
I'd like the instructor to either do all the reps or none of them, but I don't like it when the instructor suddenly gets up in the middle of the set and walks around. I'm sort of "programmed" to follow the instructor, so when the instructor gets up, it makes me think the set is over!
Good point. I, too, have had problems with losing my concentration when an instructor walks off to correct form. I lose some of my momentum, and it can be difficult to get back in the swing of things. On the other hand, I do appreciate it when instructors offer modifications and/or correct form (although I often wonder, if the exerciser is "good enough" to be in the video, why form correction is needed). Guess I'll just have to accept the good with the bad.

Shari
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves