Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-04, 09:20 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

What bugs me is

if an instructor has lousy form on something and then corrects someone in how to use their bad form. (Debbie Siebers and her kicks. Yeesh)

Or even after the instructor corrects the background exercisers horrible form, the bg exerciser still uses it. (Judy in one of the slim series)
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:38 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela
if an instructor has lousy form on something and then corrects someone in how to use their bad form. (Debbie Siebers and her kicks. Yeesh)

Or even after the instructor corrects the background exercisers horrible form, the bg exerciser still uses it. (Judy in one of the slim series)
I agree! Actually, I do not mind when an instructor goes around the room to point to various modifications or to motivate (e.g., Tony in P90X) but it really annoys me when they need to make repeated and/or major form corrections (e.g., when Debbie keeps correcting the Michel's shoulder position in Tear It Up - argh!). Minor form adjustments are OK but I wish they would deal with major form issues BEFORE filming :rolleyes:
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:41 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'd like the instructor to either do all the reps or none of them, but I don't like it when the instructor suddenly gets up in the middle of the set and walks around. I'm sort of "programmed" to follow the instructor, so when the instructor gets up, it makes me think the set is over!
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 10:03 AM  
Dawn3

It doesn't bother me until they make a statement about it like "oh, I need a break, this is a good time for me to stop".
Dawn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 10:06 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Doesn't bother me either, as long as **someone** is actually keeping count!!

Carol
Old 10-15-04, 11:20 AM  
libra01971

It usually doesn't bother me at all. The one instructor that DOES come to mind is Billy Blanks, though. It drives me CRAZY when he says "one more set" or "two more sets" and then starts talking and it ends up being like 4 more! I'm dying and thinking, "All right already!" I'm usually not even listening what he's saying but counting instead.

I suppose I should be thanking him, though, for making me work harder and longer. :rolleyes:
Old 10-15-04, 11:27 AM  
DEEDEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw
I don't mind either way. What bothers me with P90X and Tony is that he picked up VERY heavy weight, and half way through, seems like he is running out of juice, he stops and start giving form pointers. I wish he would pick a weight that he could handle to finish the rep...

What bothers me a bit is when Tony does bent over moves, he often has his head hanging and his upper back rounded and he will jerk the weight at the top of the movement.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 11:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw
I don't mind either way. What bothers me with P90X and Tony is that he picked up VERY heavy weight, and half way through, seems like he is running out of juice, he stops and start giving form pointers. I wish he would pick a weight that he could handle to finish the rep...
That's just one of the things that made my DH nuts during the rotation. Tony would pick up a real show-off weight and then just do three reps. And go and instruct. To be honest, his form isn't always that great.

(Of course, we all know not to watch BB workouts for good form - LOL!)

It is obvious to me that the shooting shedule for P90X was very rigorous and demanding. Tony looks pooped in a few of the workouts. He can barely do proper kicks in Kenpo. (I know, because I have spent way more time watching P90X, than doing them!)

The worst case of an instructor going around to check form is Kathy Smith in "Lift Weights To Lose Weight". She runs around like a maniac. From one background exerciser to the next. Yelping and screetching. If I had been on that video shoot, I would have run out of the room!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 11:54 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra01971
It usually doesn't bother me at all. The one instructor that DOES come to mind is Billy Blanks, though. It drives me CRAZY when he says "one more set" or "two more sets" and then starts talking and it ends up being like 4 more! I'm dying and thinking, "All right already!" I'm usually not even listening what he's saying but counting instead.

I suppose I should be thanking him, though, for making me work harder and longer. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! I know what you mean..

The one that drives me nuts is Cedie in PS BBA. They are doing the bicep curl with the rotation at the top and Cedie's form is absolutely horrendous.
Embarassingly so. She looks like she is going to fling the dumbbell over her shoulder.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 12:02 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Does not bother me.

After all, the instructor has to talk and do the workout at the same time, so they are usually working harder then I am. If they need a break, I graciously allow them one. And if I need a break, not one instructor has complained yet!

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves