Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-04, 08:41 AM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Should instructors do ALL of the reps?

Hi,

I've been doing the P90X rotation, and have done a Slim Series rotation a few times in the past. I have often read posts complaining that Tony and Debbie both take breaks while working with the background exercisers on form, etc.

This morning I noticed Tony going around giving his form pointers, and started wondering why this bothers some people. Does this bother you, and if so, why? It doesn't bother me in the least. I can't imagine why anyone needs the instructor to keep doing the reps, as long as someone in the group is doing them!

Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:49 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I don't care about the instructor doing all the reps in the slightest. I would rather the instructor instruct.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:52 AM  
vdub

Actually, I think it's rather brave of these instructors. I'm glad they feel confident enough NOT to do all the reps. It seems obvious to me that they're capable of doing them all, but it takes a great deal of self-esteem not to feel they have to prove it. Go Tony and Debbie!

Shari
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:52 AM  
SurferGirl

It always seems to me that when the instructor stops to show pointers on the background exercisers that the set seems to take FOREVER. It almost feels like they stopped counting and I'm endlessly doing reps. I'm one of those people that hate when the instructor stops. I also thinks it's unfair that I'm working, when they're not

Karen
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:55 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Drives me nuts!!

If I have to do all the reps, they better do them too! Why can't they show good form as they are working out? Why do you have to stop and point out someone else?

cheaters! or are they perhaps not fit enough to do what they are asking us to do?
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 08:59 AM  
Buttercup

I could care less either way. The only thing that would bother me is an instructor picking up a really light weight and pretending they were working sooooo hard. I'd feel condescended to.

I don't understand people's attitude about Tony. He freely admits many times that he is instructing and not working as hard as the others. Also, he has a very nice physique, so maybe he isn't working in the video, but you know he's got to be working hard otherwise.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:03 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Like Sharon, I prefer instructors to instruct. And I'm sure that they've done many more reps considering the amount of rehearsals they've done before the actual taping. Actually the only time I was annoyed was when I bought a 100 rep type workout and it was obvious that the instructor wasn't capable of finishing all of the reps...I mean, really!!! Don't film the workout if it's beyond you! :rolleyes:
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:10 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

It doesn't bother me either. It's obvious that Tony works out on a regular basis and as Buttercup pointed out, he says several times that he knows he is not working out as hard as the other people.

Vdub, I have to agree with you also. The number one complaint about Tony seems to be his ego, but he sure doesn't like it get in the way of him instructing his workouts.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:11 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I don't mind either way. What bothers me with P90X and Tony is that he picked up VERY heavy weight, and half way through, seems like he is running out of juice, he stops and start giving form pointers. I wish he would pick a weight that he could handle to finish the rep...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 09:18 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

It bugs me, not sure why tho. It also bugged me when whatever instructor it was did the pushups on her knees instead of on her toes. Silly, I know... :rolleyes:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves