Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-04, 01:52 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

To say that you are personally offended by some comments says to me that perhaps you are being a tad oversensitive on this subject. How can you be personally offended by a comment made about somebody else's video persona? Taking this a bit too seriously, maybe?

Anyway, this really bothered me. But I guess your objective of effectively killing the thread has been met

Well I guess my objective, as was stated above, to kill the thread, didn't succeed. It appears to be thriving!

My point was and still is, I don't think we need to drag in personal comments about an instructor when we talk about what we don't like. Perhaps I AM a bit sensitive about this, but it seems to me that the number of 'attack Denise' threads has been a bit higher than normal. Denise isn't someone who's workouts I first reach for, but I believe she has a well-earned place in the fitness world which her success also indicates.

But if there's to be any negative comments about instructors, then's let's please be equal with all.

About the avatar..shhh...don't tell anyone..but I have a new painting over my bed....
Old 08-22-04, 02:32 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Try as I might I have not been able to get "into" Joyce Vedral.

She is the only one I can think of right now.

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 03:14 PM  
honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
My point was and still is, I don't think we need to drag in personal comments about an instructor when we talk about what we don't like.
My take on this...

It's like a review of a video. Sometimes a video doesn't click with you and that's okay. You can respectfully say you don't like an instructor as long as you share the reasons so that someone else can get a feel for the problem.

In this thread I learned that Cory is probably to skantily clad for me to like her videos. I don't find Denise to be overly chipper, but I do think her videos are too easy.

As long as you're specific and you don't violate the guidelines, I feel okay with it. I'm usually pretty adamant that I greatly prefer supportive comments. But honest, specific appraisals help other VFers find good choices.
honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 03:18 PM  
ots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

Tom Holland (too sweaty..or is that an appearance comment? and the way he looks into the camera sometimes is like he's leering at me..stop that, Tom!)
Greg Smithey from the original Buns of Steel for the same reason!
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 03:46 PM  
TallMomof2
VF Supporter

Denise Austin - waaaay too perky for me! Plus I did her pregnancy tape while, what else, pregnant with my now 6yo and even though I had a couple of other pregnancy tapes I was heartily sick of only Denise by the time I delivered. Just a personality clash, I guess.
Joyce Vedral - Don't even like the way she writes in her books much less her personality on tape. Don't get me started on the bad form. But her book workouts are solid and I would use them if I didn't have a ton of great strength tapes/DVDs.
Jennifer Kries - I couldn't even force myself to get through one of her tapes. Personality thing again.
Greg Smithey, Alan Finger - the leering thing, *shudder* but I don't think Tom Holland leers!
Billy Blanks - I mean I like *him*, his video persona is fine, but his cueing and working sides unevenly drive me nuts!

I don't like skimpy costumes, whooping, chatty talk, and poor cueing. So there are a ton more instructors that I'm not crazy about but do their workouts because the workouts themselves are good.
Old 08-22-04, 03:59 PM  
Phantom4u

I have found this thread very helpful in finding out the different things the "experienced execisers" like and don't like about instructors. It seems to me folks in this thread have kept their comments in good form.

I can't say that I have found any instructor yet that I don't care for outright. I have found certain videos by an instructor that I did not like. Such as LWTLW 1, KS is a little over the top. I have her in other videos and she is great. (I also still use LWTLW 1, because I find it effective.)

As to Denise A. I do feel sometimes folks can really get after her. Yes, we all know that she is perky, has that soft voice and her count is off many times. However, many many people love her or she would not still be sellling videos.
I have one of her videos, Pilates for Everybody, while I dont do it every day, I do keep it because once you get past the things that folks say is bad, she really is pretty good.
Phantom4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:58 PM  
carole r.

This is going to sound like a contradiction. I love the early Firm workouts, but those intructors! I call the early Firms, "the Stepford Wives workouts". The exercises themselves, though are excellent. Some of the Firm Parts Videos are like that too. I guess you just have to look past the instructional style, because these workouts are still the best!
Old 08-22-04, 08:19 PM  
hoppy

I like Tony Horton just fine but his counting is ridiculous: "One. . two . .three ... fourfivesix!!!!!" And sometimes I wish he would stop calling people "brothah." Just pipe down, Tony.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 03:57 AM  
Debbie M

Here we go again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi

To say that you are personally offended by some comments says to me that perhaps you are being a tad oversensitive on this subject. How can you be personally offended by a comment made about somebody else's video persona? Taking this a bit too seriously, maybe?

Anyway, this really bothered me. But I guess your objective of effectively killing the thread has been met

Well I guess my objective, as was stated above, to kill the thread, didn't succeed. It appears to be thriving!

My point was and still is, I don't think we need to drag in personal comments about an instructor when we talk about what we don't like. Perhaps I AM a bit sensitive about this, but it seems to me that the number of 'attack Denise' threads has been a bit higher than normal. Denise isn't someone who's workouts I first reach for, but I believe she has a well-earned place in the fitness world which her success also indicates.

But if there's to be any negative comments about instructors, then's let's please be equal with all.
And this is addressed to any other posts that agreed with the original post by Mindi and the mods....

This is absurd!

I am so sick of the censorship on this forum! YUK!

We just had a thread that went on forever about our favorite instructors and we were allowed to talk about their looks, voices, sets, personalities etc. to descirbe why we like them.

So, why on the earth is anyone offended by the same thing in reverse????

It is very educational to hear what everyone really thinks, as it helps me judge instructors I have not tried that might annoy me too if we seem to have similar tastes otherwise.

Why do people feel the need to jump in and defend instructors? Maybe there is more "Denise" bashing because more VFers dislike Denise than any other instructor. I don't know. I don't care. It is all good.

How can we "keep it equal"? There is no way that there will be an even amount of dislike for all instructors. Do you suggest that we keep a tally and if an instructor has too many negative posts, I cannot post that I also don't like him/her? (And if anyone really disliked Cathe, they would't say so anyway! LOL)

Sheesh!

That said:

There are not that many instructors that I really dislike. It is strange. Even some of my favorite instructors have things I dislike about them. They just have more good than bad, for me. I love Mindy but she is too chatty for my nerves sometimes. I love Minna Lessig, but her multitude of fake physical attributes bother me sometimes. Well..you get the idea.

There are some instructors like Tracie Long that I disliked previously when she was one of the "Firm Stepford Wives", but on her own, she is awesome.

Instructors that I dislike completely are:
Jennifer Kries - snooty
All the Firm series robots - no comment needed
Joyce Vedral - goofy and bad form
Denise Austin - too chipper, phony and condescending
Tony Horton - love the workouts (so I keep them) but he just seems so arrogant and annoying in P90X
Lotte Berk ladies - snooty
Kim Haegele of Yoga Fusion - I had a relationship with an ex of hers...LOL....seriously....so just cannot look at her!
Billy Blanks - personal issues with him morally (along the lines of people mentioning not being able to work out with Rodney Yee at the moment because of the sexual alligations) and the counting, counting, counting!

I like almost every other instructor that I have tried, so I cannot think of anymore right now.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 04:51 AM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Yes, by all means, let's dwell on the negative, rather than the positive.

I don't care who you like or dislike or who anyone likes or dislikes. But I believe dislike should be focused on the workout. Does her appearance or personal life matter in regard to critiquing the workout?

I don't think so.

Tags
deltaman, denise austin, geoff, instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, pet peeves, skimpy clothes