Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-04, 09:56 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Joni -

Mindi's avatar is a section of the painting "The Scream" by Edvard Munch which was stolen from a museum at gunpoint. It was stolen once before about ten years ago and recovered shortly thereafter. http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...eft/index.html

Nat
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:15 AM  
Seabush

Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, Denise Austin, & Katalin Zamiar
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:56 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Denise Austin (I agree with the post stating she talks like she's addressing a group of second graders), even though some of her more recent workouts look very intriguing. One of the Firm instructors (the one who says "this is fun" all the time) has the same type of delivery, and I find it very annoying.

Richard Simmons (or anyone who is too "over the top")

Moira Stott (I tried one of her workouts once, and she was soooo deadpan and serious (even more so than the earlier Karen Voight) that when she made an attempt at a joke or smiled, it was almost eerie.
Joyce Vedral (because of her aweful form)

Tom Holland (too sweaty..or is that an appearance comment? and the way he looks into the camera sometimes is like he's leering at me..stop that, Tom!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:59 AM  
ardnas

Denise Austin & Minna Lessig
ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:28 AM  
klwgriffin

I was reluctant to post here because I am capable of getting sucked into negativity, but I'll try a positive spin. I always assumed that I would HATE Denise Austin because I am very anti-perky and my first impression of her was that she was a little ... not fake, but not natural. Well, I have to say that I gave her a try for the heck of it (ok, because her DVD was at Target and I had to buy something) and she didn't bother me at all - not one little tiny bit - liked her a lot, actually. This is in reference to one of her relatively newer workouts (Pilates Based on ...), so maybe she was more "over the top" in earlier years - don't know. Having acquired too many other pilates DVDs, I don't happen to use this one anymore (kind of light, but I do feel good after it), but I would most definitely buy her workouts again, and I never thought I would say that.

Commenting on more personal things like an instructor's workout attire is definitely dangerous ground, but it might have its place. My first reaction is probably to be mildly offended, since I personally don't give a rat's patooty (sp? Is there a correct spelling for this, 'cause I'd love to know) if somebody is showing cleavage or wearing a thong, so to me it initially sounds like an unnecessary personal judgment. On the other hand, this is very relevant information and would be helpful to somebody who would be offended by skimpy outfits, or has little kids running around who they don't want to see it.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:34 AM  
Adrienne
VF Supporter

Masters of confusing choreography

While the following instructors are wonderful in their own right, after trying some of their videos, I just gave up out of sheer frustration:

Patrick Goudeau - CIA 9001 in particular
Franny Benedetto - I really, really wanted to like her workouts, but it just wasn't going to happen.
Christi Taylor - Same as above.
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:39 AM  
rhbrand

I don't have any instructor I hate. I do have a couple that for whatever reason don't click with me.

I generally don't like Denise Austin, but my sister loves her. Go figure.
Mindy gets on my nerves a little bit. Just doesn't click with me.
I also don't get along well with Carissa. But part of that was I didn't like the workouts she led. Maybe is she led a workout I loved, I'd like her.
Jenifer Kries from Method Pilates rubs me the wrong way also. I don't even know why, but she just does.
Old 08-22-04, 11:42 AM  
antbuko

I missed the FIRM boat

A couple of years ago someone was kind enough to give me a bunch of early Firm videos. I found the insructors very robotic - Tracy Long, Susan Harris and Sandahl. This irritated me so much that I couldn't bear to view them anymore. Are the new firms any better? I'm an infomercial junkie and I have been tempted by the Firm a few times and I always manage to talk myself out of them because of my impressions from their earlier videos.
antbuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 12:52 PM  
ked
VF Supporter

just my thoughts

I've noticed that instructors that I used to love, I now find offensive and I think the reason is I've outgrown them. So what used to seem informative and motivating now seems condescending and over the top! Which is why there are so many different styles of leading/instructing. If I hadn't of had them in the beginning I might of gotten frustrated and quit- but now I want workouts that are high intermediate to advanced and of course they don't explain every muscle/move or pretend its all fun, 'cause it's hard! I think its Cathe that says "it's hard, it's suppossed to be!"
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 01:45 PM  
Sunshine

Arrow

The instructor that did MTV Total body w/o. he had a nasal voice, which bothered me a lot. otherwise I might have liked the workout. too bad I got rid of the tape before I learned about muting! :rolleyes:

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaman, denise austin, geoff, instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, pet peeves, skimpy clothes