Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-04, 08:39 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
are threads like these. I don't see any point to deliberately post negativity about an instructor. Everyone knows who they like and dislike and why, but to voice them like this always leads to hurt feelings.

There are exercisers who post here who like the instructors that are being bashed.
I just wanted to say Mindi, that you're avatar was stolen from it's home in Oslo this morning. Bizarre.

Anyway, I don't care if somebody bashes one of my faves -- I sort of get a kick out of the reasons people give for getting annoyed. But I agree that it's very, very depressing when comments about appearance etc. are part of the discussion.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 08:51 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quoting VF guidelines ( http://www.videofitness.com/vfguidelines.php ):

Though VFers discuss every aspect of their videos and video instructors, we ask that posters stay away from criticism of a particular instructor's physique or other qualities that have no bearing on the quality of the workout. Everyone has their own definition of physical beauty, and fit women and men come in all shapes and sizes. Such criticism undermines the inclusiveness of this Forum.

Above all, please treat every Forum poster with the same respect you'd want yourself. His or her opinion of a video is every bit as valuable as your own or anyone else's. That is true whether a post is written by a longtime VF community member, a newcomer, or a beginning exerciser. Whatever your opinion of an instructor or tape, no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it. If we all liked the same tapes, there would be no point in having a review section at VF--in fact, VF wouldn't exist at all if not for differences in opinion. Also remember that only your words will be transmitted via a post, so take care which words you choose--facial expressions, tone of voice, sarcasm, and other cues that would contextualize your words in a face to face conversation will be absent in this medium.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:10 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

a note

Thanks, Nat, for posting that section from the guidelines.

Let's stay away from the personal stuff, OK?

Each VFer draws her/his own line between legitimate criticism and bashing of instructors, and I know all too well that there is significant disagreement among our members about where that line should be drawn. This type of thread is bound to push the limits for many. I would advise those with a lower tolerance for instructor criticism to avoid this type of thread, if possible, and I'd advise those who wish to continue the thread to be mindful of the guidelines. Thanks!

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:26 AM  
seriellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
I don't see any point to deliberately post negativity about an instructor. Everyone knows who they like and dislike and why, but to voice them like this always leads to hurt feelings.

There are exercisers who post here who like the instructors that are being bashed.

I agree!
seriellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:33 AM  
Tanja

Any instructor that comes across as 'fake'.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:36 AM  
Thenu

I do not care for Joyce vedral .I got a bunch of her dvds in swap after reading about the results people are getting using her workouts . I have 3 of her books so i wanted to give a her a try. But ended up selling them as soon as I got them.Though the workouts were good yet I couldnt stand the poor form.

Got more reasons but I do not want to cross the guidelines by explaining why I didnt like the dvds. I liked the books better than the dvds so I would better follow her books.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:39 AM  
angel nee nee

ok. sorry Kathy....! (( HUGS ))

And for cool VF members to share our joy of video exercising with!
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:47 AM  
Thenu

I do not see negativity in this thread unless we post too much hatred for the instructor or any personal comments about their looks.

Just by stating simply what we like and dislike in an instructor would give some guidelines for people who might want to try them ..JMO. so why not continue this thread by following the VF guidelines rather than killing the thread itself ?
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:49 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
I just wanted to say Mindi, that you're avatar was stolen from it's home in Oslo this morning. Bizarre.
Again??? wasn't it stolen once before? What I find bizarre is why anyone would want it- interestingly shuddering to look at once, but not to own and examine in detail!

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:53 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Must be too early in the morning for me - I have no clue what the avatar/Oslo talk is. The avatar looks like abstract art to me - is there something I'm not seeing?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaman, denise austin, geoff, instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, pet peeves, skimpy clothes