Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-04, 11:16 PM  
DeltaMan727

[QUOTE=I never liked Denise Austin because she seems condescending somehow. Like she's leading second graders. Corey Everson would be ok if she dressed in something other than a push up bra and a thong in her videos. [/QUOTE]

LOL! About the Corey Everson comment!! She does dress a tad skimpy!!

Another thing I can’t stand about Denise is her “I know what its like, I’m a working mom myself with two kids” Line!! Okay, yes she works and has kids but lets face it I have a feeling Denise, Hubby, and kids are just fine! Did you see her home a few years ago on HGTV?? Lets call a spade a spade, she has know idea what it’s like for most of the women on here and most women in general who work, raise a family and exercise!!

I like Katy Smith but she can sometime come across like an annoying High School cheerleader!

Geoff
DeltaMan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 11:20 PM  
Severen

Suzanne Deason--she bores me to death!

Severen
www.angelfire.com/film/severen
Old 08-22-04, 01:49 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

I can't cope with Denise Austin at all. I have a "chirpy-ness" quota.
And, alas, Scott Cole.
Great workouts but....he sounds just like one of my ex boy friends. Every time Scott says "relax" I want to throw something at the TV!
NoraKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:17 AM  
Kyra

Billy Blanks - one two three four five six seven eight......
Mindy Mylrea - total personality clash
Joyce Vedral - talk about instant dislike!

I know people love these instructors, and I'm sure they have good stuff to offer, but they're not for me.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:24 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doskymom
I don't care for a lot of Denise Austin workouts, but I really like her yoga and yoga-inspired workouts. Her perky personality has never bothered me.
Well it bothered the heck out of me until recently when I caught a glimpse of her yoga-inspired workouts...now I have to have them, as they look REALLY good. I'm also trying to get one of her pilates-inpired workouts. Will report back if I still can't stand her, but something tells me I'm going to like these - espcially yoga buns

Anyway, back to the question...

What generally turns me off to an instructor is their voice. For that reason, I steer cleer of (or tread very gently around):

Jennifer Kries (although her Precision Yoga is AWESOME!)
Sarah Ivanhoe (her voice is actually ok in the older Crunch videos...but only in small doses)
FIRM instructors (I HATE the way they talk. For some reason, however, I can tolerate a couple of them)
Mindy Milrea (she just bugs me all-together. too yappy.)

I also don't care for instructors who yell or are over the top. That's why after trying Kathy Smith's LWTLW, I vowed never to let her in my house (or my DVD player again.) Luckily, she's not like that in the overwhelming majority of her videos. (Maybe she just had too much Red Bull that day?) IMO, she actually has a really nice voice for videos...

Voices/demeanors I love:
Minna Lessig
Tamilee Webb

Voices/demeanors 'right at the edge' of tipping into annoying:
Gay Gasper (She always has that super fake smile - as long as I don't look at her, I enjoy her workouts)
Allie Del Rio (She's my favorite FIRM instructor, but I just wish her voice was pitched a 'tad' lower...just a tad.)
Liz Gillies (Another one. I LOVE her video, but she could use a couple of voice lessons, too.)
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:27 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra
Joyce Vedral - talk about instant dislike!
Holy cow! How could I forget about Joyce Vedral?!?!?!?!?! I've NEVER met a Joyce video I've liked yet. I'd rather spend the rest of my days working out with Denise Austin and Mindy Mylrea (and that would be hell) than be forced to get through ONE Joyce video.
Old 08-22-04, 07:42 AM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

What I dislike

are threads like these. I don't see any point to deliberately post negativity about an instructor. Everyone knows who they like and dislike and why, but to voice them like this always leads to hurt feelings.

There are exercisers who post here who like the instructors that are being bashed.
Old 08-22-04, 08:02 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
There are exercisers who post here who like the instructors that are being bashed.
I'm one of them. I LOVE Minna Lessig... Love her, and am not offended in any way by the fact that people don't care for her for whatever reason. I DON'T, however feel that she has been 'bashed'.

I also LOVE Kathy Smith...it's interesting to hear why people don't. If it's because they're only experience with her is LWTLW - I can understand their pov, and maybe I can add 2 cents that will get them to give her another try...(maybe )

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with pointing out pros and cons of instructors...and I don't take it personally if someone doesn't like an instructor that I happen to like.

"Personal" attacks like, "they look 'fat'" are out of line, but I think it's worthwhile to know that a particular instructor is overly chatty, has a tendency to yell, has a tendency to wear skimpy clothing, etc. If I only wanted 'pros', I would stick to reading Collage reviews only.

No one is saying that these are 'bad' people or that they make bad videos...IMO, that would be 'bashing'.
Old 08-22-04, 08:05 AM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Some of the comments about Denise Austin,her family and personal life, and some of the apparel that other instructors choose to wear strikes me as highly personal.

There've been a couple comments made about an instructor I like, NOT relating to the workout alone, and personally, I'm offended.
Old 08-22-04, 08:36 AM  
nora
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
are threads like these. I don't see any point to deliberately post negativity about an instructor. Everyone knows who they like and dislike and why, but to voice them like this always leads to hurt feelings.

You know, I was reading along on this thread, enjoying, agreeing with some comments disagreeing with others, thinking about what I like/dislike etc., when this post of yours pops up, Mindi. Now THIS is the post in my opinion that leads to hard or hurt feelings. Not any of the others.

To say that you are personally offended by some comments says to me that perhaps you are being a tad oversensitive on this subject. How can you be personally offended by a comment made about somebody else's video persona? Taking this a bit too seriously, maybe?

Anyway, this really bothered me. But I guess your objective of effectively killing the thread has been met.

Tags
deltaman, denise austin, geoff, instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, pet peeves, skimpy clothes