Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-04, 03:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

Unhappy Says who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette
[/COLOR] Everyone has their own definition of physical beauty, and fit women and men come in all shapes and sizes.
Not to start a different thread here, but is this really true?
I don't think that as a society (even here, where everybody is really great) really believe that I can be this shape and size and others view me as "fit."

I have read talk of people bemoaning a size 14 as if that were the end of the world, and I have read others shout to the heavens at a size 6 as if that was the end-all of existence. :rolleyes:

When I was younger and a different shape, people thought I was fit, but I know this older Linda could run circles around that young Linda, not to mention out crunch, weight lift more and longer, etc.

Just a thought. Oh, that I wish what you said Suzette was true!
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 03:48 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Tony Horton is really the only instructor that bugs me. When he does his pteradactyl impression in Chest & Back I want to hurl a brick at the TV.
Maybe you should try that. But - use a foam yoga block!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 03:49 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

fanofladyvols ~

Don't give me too much credit. LOL

I cut and pasted that directly from the VF Guidelines!
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 04:43 PM  
Bebop

I would say that there are certain instructor's styles that I don't care for - can't really talk about the actual person - but their screen persona is what can be annoying.

I don't care for Moira Stott - she just puts me to sleep -

I'm kind of luke warm with Karen Voight - the few workouts I have of her I like but I don't rush to buy everything she puts out - I need perky - I like Denise! I usually work out after work - I need motivation - I need volume - I need chatter - keep me awake please.

I'm not a Kathy Smith fan either - I don't know what it is - I usually like chatty energetic leads- Denise A., Cathe, Sharon Mann - she is just so - Oh, I don't know - can't put my finger on it. -

Billy Blank's cueing drives me nuts! I can follow him in Taebo Flex (great workout by the way) but I just keep tripping over my own feet in his other workouts.

Oh - someone mentioned Janet Jones Gretzsky - is she the one in Classic Vol 2 - she grates on me - too Stepford wifey - doesn't look like she is working out - the lead in vol 5 is the same way - I do Vol 5 - can't get into Vol 2.

Other than that, I'll pretty much do any workout if it is a good workout.

OH - P.S. - I like Tom Holland - I think he's kind of cute.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:41 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Gee, I've only read the last page of posts to this thread and I feel so out of it!

I love accents in instructors--Joyce's New York and Franny Benedetto's Boston come immediately to mind.

I think Tony's pterodactyl imitation is funny in a silly way, and I've been guilty of doing my own pterodactyl imitation during his warm-ups.

I like Mindy's jokes--yup, even the ones about cats and boobs.

And, worst of all, I really can't think of an instructor I don't like at the moment!

Sigh. I'll have to read the rest of this thread and see if that inspires me.
Old 08-24-04, 05:50 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
. . . . bring to mind the old stereotype of catty female behavior. And that old stereotype never produced anything useful that I can think of except some funny novels and screenplays (Anita Loos's screenplay adaptation of C.B. Luce's play The Women for example).
Amen, sister--and the original play was pretty darn good, too.

As for dated outfits--um, what if they were current at the time of the filming?

Can you imagine someone filming a workout in vintage workout clothing? Let's start posting this request at instructor sites !
Old 08-25-04, 12:04 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Instructors

I've been reading this thread, and since I like to look into the psychology behind everything, here's my take:

1) Every instructor who has a TV show, videos or dvds has talent. They are all generally quite fit, yet since they are only human, each one of them has unique taste in terms of the way they dress, the music they like, the sets they choose, the workout styles, and of course, personality, voice, and body type. The uniqueness of each individual is what is subject to being "liked" or "disliked" by others. That's what makes the world go round.

2) I like looking at amazingly fit bodies, and if skin and underlying muscle is showing, I like it because I enjoy seeing what is humanly possible through training. Cory Everson has one of the best bodies on earth, in my opinion (and in the opinion of the judges of 6 Ms. Olympia contests), and I think she looks awesome; she's earned being able to show off her body, and I am totally motivated when I see her muscularity. I know I'll never look like her (we have different parents ), but it's a nice fantasy. I feel the same way about all the other gorgeously fit instructors.

3) I don't dislike any instructor. I dislike certain things about the way some of them present themselves on camera. Even my favorite instructors sometimes bug me. Some of the instructors that aren't my favorite sometimes impress me. Even Denise Austin, who is one of my least favorite instructors, impresses me with her books, which are good, and with some of her TV shows. My opinion of her has improved because she has obviously worked hard to improve herself.

4) Until reading VF, I never noticed most of the things that people point out as bothering them. I don't look at the TV much when I work out.

5) Rodney Yee is one of my favorite instructors. When people mention that he isn't one of their favorite instructors, it doesn't bother me, but it does bother me when people say they won't work out to his tapes due to allegations and rumors; he hasn't been proven guilty by a jury of his peers, so in my mind, he is still innocent.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaman, denise austin, geoff, instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, pet peeves, skimpy clothes