Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-04, 04:12 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Question Karen Voight: Green Genie Balls

Does anyone use these on a regular basis?

Today I was doing Streamlined Fitness (using dumb bells), and I heard Karen say something about the additional effort you expend 'gripping' the balls...

Now I want them...

I have some balls that came with WATP, but they are only 2lbs each...I want the green genies...

I also like that she does't go overboard REMINDING us that they are called GREEN GENIES, like the firm does with the Fanny Lifter, and Beth Shaw does with the Yoga Butt Ball.

Karen just calls them balls...

(^hmmm, something strikes me as funny about that last statement, but I'll leave it the way it is... )

(...actually everything has struck me as funny today. I'm in a particularly good mood )
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 04:51 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I think the last time I did GWW (a long time ago, pre-SS when it just about killed me ) I used a 3 lb weighted ball from Walmart.

Quote:
I also like that she does't go overboard REMINDING us that they are called GREEN GENIES, like the firm does with the Fanny Lifter
No kidding! I think this is what bugs me the most about the new Firms.
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 05:04 PM  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
Karen just calls them balls...

(^hmmm, something strikes me as funny about that last statement, but I'll leave it the way it is... )
Shame on you.

There are several different varieties. Karen just happens to have the ones made by, I believe, a company called "Genie". I'm sure you can find the 3 lb "balls" (sorry, couldn't help myself :rolleyes: ) in a number of places.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 05:23 PM  
etoile

I just got her Smooth and Streamlined Dvd and tried out the Streamline session. Although I've been using dumb bells, I would like to get some balls as well. I like the way how she puts them behind her knees.

You can actually buy the Genie balls at CK sales but I think that I will look around town first.
etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 06:29 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I have two Green Genies. I use them when Karen uses them in her videos, and I also use them for FIRMs when they are doing table work with a dumbbell behind the knee. The ball is much more comfortable than a dumbbell!

I've done Streamlined Fitness with dumbells and with the balls. For me, it was tougher to use the balls. You're often holding them palms down, so you have to have a good grip on them - or you'll drop them! I have small hands, so the muscles in my hands, wrists, and forearms were really working. I think this is what Karen is talking about when she mentions "extra effort".

The Genies are typically pretty expensive, but you can get similar balls (sand-filled, like the Genies) at Wal-Mart, some other discount stores, and some sporting goods stores for less money. The Genies are 3 lbs each, but I've seen both 3-lb and 5-lb balls at Wal-Mart.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 06:48 PM  
Kingsley
VF Supporter

Fitness Wholesale carries some..

Fitness Wholesale carries (excuse me :rolleyes: ) small balls in weights from 2lbs up to 7lbs.

Here is the link:

http://www.fwonline.com/TBSW.HTM

Hope this helps
Kingsley

Got Milk?
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 06:48 PM  
sherry7899

Try Ross or marshall's-I've seen weighted balls for five dollars for a set of two. They call them "yoga balls." I think they were three pounds each, but I'm not positive. I'll check next time I go there. I just use the leslie two pound ones-I figured it wouldn't make too much difference. I already have too many fitness "toys", and hate to buy another set of weighted balls.

Actually, Walmart did have weighted balls marked down last week.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 08:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I HAVE BALLS and i am NOT AFRAID TO USE THEM!

(been listening to a motivational tape....ahem).

i got the walmart ones - they are squishy and filled with sand. i love them.

incidentally, the ones that you find at Ross don't really weigh 3# - they weighed around 2 1/2 # each.

gymratt - you'll like the squishy balls. i have also used it in her Core essentials workout. it's true - you do work your forearm muscles to grip them (i won't point out how bad THAT comment of mine sounds) and balance them. i have used them in The Firm Vol. 3 when they put the dumbbell behind your knee.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 08:27 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Women with balls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
i have also used it in her Core essentials workout. it's true - you do work your forearm muscles to grip them...
Where did you hold your balls in CE...(LOL )

Did you use them only where she did or did you hold them during the standing leg work (to up the itensity)? Also, did you use them for the upper body work instead of dumb bells...

I just 'found' Core Essentials this week...it's going to get LOTS of use - I really liked it.

Kingsley - thanks for that link..It's good to know I can buy heavier balls (LOL ). The idea of getting that extra forearm work appeals to me, but I MUCH preferred to have a ball behind my knee instead of a lousy dumb bell.

Now if I can just find them cheaper...
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 08:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

on CE - i just follow what she does. i might try your suggestion about using it to up the intensity during the standing leg work.

if i am not mistaken - you can use them in her lean legs and buns? when she lies down and lifts the lower leg (side-lying position), you rest the non-moving, upper leg on one of the balls. i used to use a 4# TKO medicine ball, but it's too high and too hard to use. but with the squishy balls, it's the right height and more comfortable.

i bet you could use these in pilates or LBM. i found ways of using an inflated mini-ball to hold behind my knee in Callanetics and TBM.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green genies